the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
...and we don't have any reserve ambulances to swap into

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Finally got a rig and back in service. One of the other crews that was in a reserve was able to move back into their front line so we swapped them and took their reserve. And it's our barbaric ambulance too

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Finally got a rig and back in service. One of the other crews that was in a reserve was able to move back into their front line so we swapped them and took their reserve. And it's our barbaric ambulance too

I'm gonna assume you meant bariatric, but I think your phrasing is more accurate :p

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I was gonna go to work sick. I put on my uniform. Ate dinner with my brother. I couldn't breathe through my nose. My lungs are full of gunk. It's difficult to focus. I feel like I constantly got to drink and go to the bathroom. We don't post at a station so I have limited bathroom access. I was like "F this... I am calling in sick." Hate we get a point every time we call out sick. Hope calling out was worth this one point, and I hope this one point doesn't bite me in the butt later on.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It's always annoying when you're sicker than the patient you're taking care of.

Get better man and good luck on your internship!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I was gonna go to work sick. I put on my uniform. Ate dinner with my brother. I couldn't breathe through my nose. My lungs are full of gunk. It's difficult to focus. I feel like I constantly got to drink and go to the bathroom. We don't post at a station so I have limited bathroom access. I was like "F this... I am calling in sick." Hate we get a point every time we call out sick. Hope calling out was worth this one point, and I hope this one point doesn't bite me in the butt later on.

You guys get a point for calling out sick?

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
It doesn't happen often, but every once in a while you meet someone who instantly dislikes you, and who you instantly dislike, and if you're very lucky, the cruelest thing you can do is say nice things to them.

These are the moments I live for.

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
A large victory for a newbie

I did a second ride-along with a local ambulance company yesterday and it went well. Why did it go well? Because their recruiter handed me an application, hired me as a dispatcher while I go to EMT-B school and said they'll move me into an EMT position at their company while I go through paramedic school.

A "WOW!" doesn't quite cover it. But it stands as proof that if you take initiative, bust your butt, and study hard, doors can unexpectedly pop open.

On a related note: thank you to all the forum members who directly or indirectly helped me navigate both the educational and the employment aspects of this line of work. You're a terrific community.

Mahalo,
M.

SSwain

Forum Captain
Epic Frequent flyer.....

She is comprising a majority of our calls this month.
Same person...same address. Every time we get a hip/leg pain call from her, she meets us at the door and walks herself to the ambulance, climbs in, lays down on the stretcher and holds her arm out for the bp cuff.
She knows us all by name now.

Some of these, I swear she gets discharged, goes home and calls 911 again right as she walks in the front door. 4 calls in a 24hr period from same address.

, RP FEELS LIKE SHE IS HAVING A HEART ATTACK/ RP IS HAVING HEART PAINS / REQUESTING TO GO TO THE ER ASAP AND HUNG UP, Unit:500 - From CON5 08/07/2014 03:10:31

REQUESTING AMB FOR LEFT LEG AND HIP PAIN...HUNG UP BEFORE I COULD GET MORE INFORMATION, Unit:500 - From CON5 08/07/2014 00:42:20

NEED AMB HIP AND LEG PAIN///PHONE DISCONNECTED//TRIED CALLING BACK GETTING VM, Unit:500 - From CON5 08/06/2014 20:24:33

HAVING PAIN IN GROIN AREA DULL SHARP PAIN; HAVING PAIN IN LEFT LEG, Unit:500 - From CON5 08/06/2014 07:57:59

PAIN IN LEFT HIP AND LEG, Unit:500 - From CON5 08/05/2014 18:26:08

HIP AND LEG PAIN, Unit:500 - From CON5 08/03/2014 01:02:35

REQUESTED AN AMBULANCE, DIDNT GIVE A REASON, Unit:500 - From CON5 08/02/2014 04:24:12

FEMALE CALLED ASKING FR POLICE TO COME PICK HER UP AND DROP HER OFF AT THE HOSP MAIN ENTRANCE SO SHE CAN GET SOME SLEEP, Unit:500 - From CON5 08/01/2014 04:25:33

REQ AMB WHEN ASKED WHAT HAPPENED SHE HUNG UP. Unit:500 - From CON5 08/01/2014 01:06:48

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I did a second ride-along with a local ambulance company yesterday and it went well. Why did it go well? Because their recruiter handed me an application, hired me as a dispatcher while I go to EMT-B school and said they'll move me into an EMT position at their company while I go through paramedic school.

A "WOW!" doesn't quite cover it. But it stands as proof that if you take initiative, bust your butt, and study hard, doors can unexpectedly pop open.

On a related note: thank you to all the forum members who directly or indirectly helped me navigate both the educational and the employment aspects of this line of work. You're a terrific community.

Mahalo,
M.

Congrats! :beerchug:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Mahalo,

M.

Congrats.

I didn't realize there were dispatchers out there without an EMT cert. all ours have to be either an EMT-I/AEMT or a Paramedic.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Congrats.

I didn't realize there were dispatchers out there without an EMT cert. all ours have to be either an EMT-I/AEMT or a Paramedic.
Its more common than not for dispatchers to be EMDs but not EMTs

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Congrats.

Nope, it varies greatly from agency to agency, let alone by state. Many states don't require much more than a 24 hr radio course to be certified.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Epic Frequent flyer.....

She is comprising a majority of our calls this month.
Same person...same address. Every time we get a hip/leg pain call from her, she meets us at the door and walks herself to the ambulance, climbs in, lays down on the stretcher and holds her arm out for the bp cuff.
She knows us all by name now.

Some of these, I swear she gets discharged, goes home and calls 911 again right as she walks in the front door. 4 calls in a 24hr period from same address.

, RP FEELS LIKE SHE IS HAVING A HEART ATTACK/ RP IS HAVING HEART PAINS / REQUESTING TO GO TO THE ER ASAP AND HUNG UP, Unit:500 - From CON5 08/07/2014 03:10:31

REQUESTING AMB FOR LEFT LEG AND HIP PAIN...HUNG UP BEFORE I COULD GET MORE INFORMATION, Unit:500 - From CON5 08/07/2014 00:42:20

NEED AMB HIP AND LEG PAIN///PHONE DISCONNECTED//TRIED CALLING BACK GETTING VM, Unit:500 - From CON5 08/06/2014 20:24:33

HAVING PAIN IN GROIN AREA DULL SHARP PAIN; HAVING PAIN IN LEFT LEG, Unit:500 - From CON5 08/06/2014 07:57:59

PAIN IN LEFT HIP AND LEG, Unit:500 - From CON5 08/05/2014 18:26:08

HIP AND LEG PAIN, Unit:500 - From CON5 08/03/2014 01:02:35

REQUESTED AN AMBULANCE, DIDNT GIVE A REASON, Unit:500 - From CON5 08/02/2014 04:24:12

FEMALE CALLED ASKING FR POLICE TO COME PICK HER UP AND DROP HER OFF AT THE HOSP MAIN ENTRANCE SO SHE CAN GET SOME SLEEP, Unit:500 - From CON5 08/01/2014 04:25:33

REQ AMB WHEN ASKED WHAT HAPPENED SHE HUNG UP. Unit:500 - From CON5 08/01/2014 01:06:48
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Oh ya, I had a job 'interview' a few days ago... It was for a PRN ED Tech at one of the local hospitals so I can make some extra cash on my off weeks. It wound up them asking for my availability, asking if I was ok working in the ED and not as a medic, then asking when I could start. Lol it was the shortest interview I'd had

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Finally got called for a 911 interview, and it is on the 2nd day of my internship so I had to turn it down. I figured it would be a slippery slope if I asked for the 2nd day off, and then much more to do the training. I am pretty mad still because 911 pay twice as much as IFT pay here, and already saturated with paramedics here too.

Day 2 of calling out sick. Day of being sick. Got a fever now and nausea, but haven't vomited yet. Should I call the CDC?

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Finally got called for a 911 interview, and it is on the 2nd day of my internship so I had to turn it down. I figured it would be a slippery slope if I asked for the 2nd day off, and then much more to do the training. I am pretty mad still because 911 pay twice as much as IFT pay here, and already saturated with paramedics here too.

Day 2 of calling out sick. Day of being sick. Got a fever now and nausea, but haven't vomited yet. Should I call the CDC?

Should have called 911 when you first thought you were getting sick haha