the 100% directionless thread

JPINFV

Gadfly
Welcome back!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
BEDAB333-AA43-40ED-8E77-96B9A4DB1CA6-4919-0000024DCD3802AA_zps5b3241dd.jpg

I like that one...gonna save it for future use.

gw812

Forum Crew Member
I can sympathize. Doing my first venipuncture tomorrow, was just checked off on the skill in my paramedic program.

ED Tech and PCT are one in the same. Every hospital system has a different name for the employees who aren't nurses or doctors or any other clearly defined allied health profession (CVT,Xray,phlebotomist,etc). Since EMTs and Paramedics have useful role in the ED with a wide skill set, we can fill in :)

Hey, if you start blowing them try this. Wise old medic taught me to poke, get the flash, then WAIT half a second to let the vein relax again. THEN advance the catheter. Makes it easier.

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Okay my first post to this thread! I am a musician. I play RAWK guitar, love both kinds of music, Rock and Metal. I find that nothing is better therapy after a rough shift than grabbing a guitar, plugging in and shredding. Are there any other musicians here? I long to be in a band but I work 24 hour shifts and it is so hard to find a band that will put up with my wacky schedule.

:beerchug:

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Okay my first post to this thread! I am a musician. I play RAWK guitar, love both kinds of music, Rock and Metal. I find that nothing is better therapy after a rough shift than grabbing a guitar, plugging in and shredding. Are there any other musicians here? I long to be in a band but I work 24 hour shifts and it is so hard to find a band that will put up with my wacky schedule.

:beerchug:
I used to play. Haven't played anything in years. I'm really good with instruments, just never dedicated myself to them long enough. Grew up playing piano, was damn good at that. Still alright, but rusty, lol.
Picked up the guitar, was decent. I started mixing music for a while on the comp not too long ago and was terrible :D Lol.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
Hey, if you start blowing them try this. Wise old medic taught me to poke, get the flash, then WAIT half a second to let the vein relax again. THEN advance the catheter. Makes it easier.

I'll have to try that. Its been about a year and a half since I've tried to put an IV catheter into an animal, and I just got a new job where it will need to be done quite frequently.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I'll have to try that. Its been about a year and a half since I've tried to put an IV catheter into an animal, and I just got a new job where it will need to be done quite frequently.

As an aside to that, I recently saw a procedure performed on a horse, and man did that IV blow my mind! Obviously an animal that large needs proportionally large access, but I still didn't quite expect the 6" long 10G catheter the vet got in there.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
What's the flash you're talking about (never seen an IV dine up close)? Like the little bit of blood that fills the line for a butterfly VP? Is that what's considered a flash? Jw

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What's the flash you're talking about (never seen an IV dine up close)? Like the little bit of blood that fills the line for a butterfly VP? Is that what's considered a flash? Jw

Some brands of IV Caths have a little "tube" inside that fills with blood to show the medic that he/she hit the vein.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

At the base of the needle there is a chamber . When blood travels through the needle it fills the chamber. That is the flash.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Ahh, so it is like the butterfly. That's the only reason I like butterflys lol. I was just checking to see if it was the same, I've never heard anyone call it that.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I know Jager bombs are a bad idea, but does that ever stop me? Nope.

uploadfromtaptalk1364134309342.jpg

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Shiners are never a bad decision.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
I have discovered the awesomeness that is waffle cone ice cream, it's like diabetes in a cone with chocolate sauce! non nom nom :D

Sadly, it is only on the menu at McDeath for 2 weeks :(

sperry

Forum Ride Along
I have discovered the awesomeness that is waffle cone ice cream, it's like diabetes in a cone with chocolate sauce! non nom nom :D

Waffle cones are better when they make them right in front of you. McDeath can't compare.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
long week...stabbings, chest pain, asthma, asthma with gi bleed, diabetic hypothermia, ending with a full arrest. King LT rocks, btw.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief

They had it here in Canada a while ago, and they called it Drumstick ice cream.

So. Damn. Good.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Got my clutch for the Landcruiser in the mail today :D
And my sister set me up with a potential job at her ED. They have a tech leaving on deployment in early June, which is perfect because I graduate like 10 days before.
Damn good day today, but i still have to get through meeting my girlfriends parents in half an hour, haha :p