the 100% directionless thread

JPINFV

Gadfly
Who is Johnny gage?

*wonders off to google*
128995343689474284.jpg

...and I'm not even a fan of the show.
/JPINFV, Doctor of Pop Culture and Internet Memes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjel

Forum Angel
129035965827414548.jpg

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Darn meme links don't work... :(

In other news, currently re-watching Battlestar Galactica.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Unfortunately, medicRob was a fake. :[

Really? I never knew that. Oops I feel like a dumbass. He seemed to be pretty knowledgeable. Oh well. Well if he theoretically was real he would be my idol...BSN, flight nurse, ACNP

Epi-do

I see dead people
What are the tags for strikethrough text? I know I have seen others here do it, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Really? I never knew that. Oops I feel like a dumbass. He seemed to be pretty knowledgeable. Oh well. Well if he theoretically was real he would be my idol...BSN, flight nurse, ACNP

He was only a EMT-IV

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Is it just me who immediately started wondering how many rolled up cravats would it take to stabilize a javelin?

:blink:

A friend got hit in the calf with one in high school. He did get transported, but they somehow shortened it so that only the pointy part was still in his leg. Not sure how they went about doing that though.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
He was only a EMT-IV

Ya I just searched through the forum and read up on it. Idk how I missed all that go down. He actualy pm'd me a lot of good info and nursing stuff. Never thought twice about it

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I had a patient last night who had a history of bacterial meningitis, with the current complaints being pretty much the exact same ones the last time they were diagnosed with it.

Hoping I don't receive a call saying I need to come in for some tests... Then again, it might just be a coinky-dink, but my throats been scratchy all day. Hmm...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I had a patient last night who had a history of bacterial meningitis, with the current complaints being pretty much the exact same ones the last time they were diagnosed with it.

Hoping I don't receive a call saying I need to come in for some tests... Then again, it might just be a coinky-dink, but my throats been scratchy all day. Hmm...

Dude no fun. Hopefully it turns out like my scare did!

In other news, this guy is scheduled to clear his FTO time on Monday and to be the Medic on a night car with a newish EMT-I...I don't feel ready for this.

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
A friend got hit in the calf with one in high school. He did get transported, but they somehow shortened it so that only the pointy part was still in his leg. Not sure how they went about doing that though.

Alligator clamps and a sawzall.

Or fulcrum and break it. I've seen a 3" exhaust pipe cut away from a person, while keeping it in them.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Dude no fun. Hopefully it turns out like my scare did!

In other news, this guy is scheduled to clear his FTO time on Monday and to be the Medic on a night car with a newish EMT-I...I don't feel ready for this.
Just don't kill anyone and you'll be fine. Otherwise, space out the killings so they never catch on... once every few weeks seems to work.

I take my scenario testing tomorrow, since I finished my FTO time last week, moving up a spot at my agency. Next after the scenario is an interview with my medical director, where essentially he asks physician level questions to gauge your knowledge :unsure:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Just don't kill anyone and you'll be fine. Otherwise, space out the killings so they never catch on... once every few weeks seems to work.

I take my scenario testing tomorrow, since I finished my FTO time last week, moving up a spot at my agency. Next after the scenario is an interview with my medical director, where essentially he asks physician level questions to gauge your knowledge :unsure:

Depending on who you ask I've already killed one patient. I say she was already on her way out and there was nothing I or even an OR were going to do for her while other argue "she had a pulse on scene but not when you got to the hospital...you killed her".

My scenarios are a week from today. They are the one thing that I'm nervous about. A 60% first time fail rate of our FTO process doesn't inspire confidence when most of those failures were great candidates but muffed the scenario.

Luckily for me, no physician interview :D

Epi-do

I see dead people
Rob, you will be fine. If you get a patient that stumps you, just remember to keep it simple and go back to the beginning. Do they have an airway? Are they breathing? etc, etc, etc.

Linuss, good luck with the scenarios and physician interview! Just like Rob, I am sure you are going to be fine.

When I was still in medic class, we had oral boards with the medical director. Basically, you sat down in his office with him, and he gave you 3 different scenarios. They were all real cases that had come through the ER, although the idea was to get you to think outside of the box a little bit. My entire class had to redo our oral boards because we all over thought what he was asking and failed the first time around. The second time went much better, since we all had a better idea of what to expect.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Thanks Epi. The scenarios are nerve racking but then I realize I'll be on the street with a pretty green EMT and it gets worse. Thanks for the advice, I also have the advantage of having hospitals within 10 minutes of me if I really have no idea what's going on. It's the situations that have other, non-medical issues that make me the most nervous. Our supervisors are really good about helping out new medics when they need it though so that's comforting.

I've got two scenarios to do on Monday, provided the system isn't so busy that they can actually pull us in to do them.

One is generally an ACS to megacode type situation with the other being a grab bag of OB, respiratory failure, sick pedis or any other call with some nightmare circumstance mixed in.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Dammit Rob, we're not going over this again! That being said, I have confidence in you. :)