the 100% directionless thread

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
911 calls are 80% people who don’t even need acute medical attention and 18% people who do need acute attention but could easily go to the ED by POV or Uber.
What about the 5% of "You called EMS for what???"

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
God I really need 911 experience. Part of me is starting to doubt myself since I’ve blown two chances at doing 911 with this company.
Where I am, 911 and IFT are totally separate. If you work at an IFT company, you only do IFT. If you work at a 911 company, you only do 911. 911 paid way better and had better benefits. It took me 3 years to get my first 911 job.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
I work for a company that rhymes with PCR and they have a 911 contract in addition to the IFT.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I'm just saying it's OK to take awhile to get into 9-1-1.

I enjoyed working 9-1-1, but like others said, it is mostly BS. Most days, I treated and transported people I felt didn't really need us. It was usually old people with mild discomfort. Nauseous? 9-1-1. Diarrhea? 9-1-1. Fever? 9-1-1. Like I could treat them or something was wrong, but it would be mostly things I'd stay at home for or drive myself, if bad enough. Sometimes it is kind of embarrassing when you show up lights and sirens for leg pain that has been going on for a month. You're not really missing out and it is OK to take awhile.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes, quite a few 911 calls where the chief compliant is on the order of, "Well I've had this pain in my legs, arm, stomach, whatever, for 2 weeks, but it feels strange today and I can't sleep, that's why I called 911 at 0200."

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
I'm just saying it's OK to take awhile to get into 9-1-1.

I enjoyed working 9-1-1, but like others said, it is mostly BS. Most days, I treated and transported people I felt didn't really need us. It was usually old people with mild discomfort. Nauseous? 9-1-1. Diarrhea? 9-1-1. Fever? 9-1-1. Like I could treat them or something was wrong, but it would be mostly things I'd stay at home for or drive myself, if bad enough. Sometimes it is kind of embarrassing when you show up lights and sirens for leg pain that has been going on for a month. You're not really missing out and it is OK to take awhile.
This. The thrill of driving code to an "emergency" wears off real quick. You meet some really cool people doing IFT, and for every critical 911 patient you get 100 BS calls.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Great, 4 days off, and insomnia strikes the night before I go back on shift, 4 hrs of sleep last night... and the other FFs called off so it's just me to do all the FF1 things today too 🤪🙃😴😴
Well we had a great shift. Muddled through morning checks and station clean up, polished the engine, we went and bought brunch stuff and fried up some bacon and eggs and fried rice... and I was able to sneak away to the dorms in the afternoon and per my FitBit got in a 2 ½hr nap hahaha, we ordered out for dinner, did a little workout, one of the 1st Watch guys came in for OT for the back half of the shift (2000-0800), and THEN we catch our first call (and they had a bunch of calls the day before so we were joking he brought their calls in with him haha.

Basically about as close to a best case scenario for a chill shift when running off of next to no sleep as I could have asked for. Outstanding. And then going to bed... I found myself staring at my eyelids again, couldn't drop off to sleep again. Another 4 hrs of sleep, and not because we had any calls or anything ugh. I hate insomnia.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
At times I just feel like that I’m not doing anything to help people which I know isn’t true and it’s frustrating.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Yeah a bit. I know that 911 isn’t constant serious stuff like on TV.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I don’t miss the ambulance nearly as much as I thought I would initially.
I thought I’d miss it too. In reality, I mIss the interaction with the patients and the hospital staff more. I don’t miss the “paramedic” part of it much. Working 2 shifts a month is enough to remind me that I don’t want to be on a ambulance again as a full time thing.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
I know it’s not constant car crashes and gunshots and delivering babies and saving lives every call.