the 100% directionless thread

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
First call as an EMT was a dead person. She’d been that way for awhile too.

First call as a cleared medic was a septic, barely responsive 17 year old that I had to RSI. It went surprisingly well.

It’s all been downhill from there.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Thanksgiving dinner for 1 is a success. Turkey was a tad dry towards the skin but overall nice and moist. I have plenty of leftovers for some bomb *** turkey sandwich’s with gravy, stuffing, and cranberry sauce.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Thanksgiving dinner for 1 is a success. Turkey was a tad dry towards the skin but overall nice and moist. I have plenty of leftovers for some bomb *** turkey sandwich’s with gravy, stuffing, and cranberry sauce.

I... forgot to bring my cranberry jelly

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
The local Firefighters Foundation (pretty sure its run by the union, not 100% sure tho lol) coordinated with one of the local hotels to cook Thanksgiving dinners for each station, and then they delivered it.
Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, pies, some sort of creamed corn and greens dish, and a couple pies.
Added to that our Captain brought us a pie, even though he took vacation today lol, and the guy who lives next to the station brought in some Kalua pork.

I swear we won't have to cook for a week here, even with the other two guys on my crew bringing their families by the station today lol

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Best call was a Cochrane 5600. The best wheelchair of 1956. Padded handrails, lubricated bearings, stainless steel handles. Rolled like a dream. I still remember the way those little hooks secured that majestic piece of hardware to the floor of the van. Amazing...

/sarcasm off

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I can't remember my first call, probably some bravo level sick person or belly pain. Probably spent hours writing the report though.

CALEMT

And by some miracle I made it into work. Not 5 miles in to my 180 mile commute I was debating calling my chief and telling him I can’t make it. Ended up driving about 40 miles of unplowed mountain road.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I can't remember what my first ambulance call was. I remember the crew distinctly, they were awesome. I do remember my first call in Colorado, 30 year old N/V. I got my IV cert like a year before that and had not done one since. Preceptor looks at me and tells me to start a line in a moving ambulance and then I blacked out in fear and somehow the patient got an IV and the rest is history.

Amazing how scary starting IVs used to be.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Drove up to the panhandle last night/this morning to trap Falcons (been foggy, no luck yet) and some dude lost control of his truck for a moment, dodged a guardrail and came back towards us but then straightened out again. Thought I had it on dash cam, but it actually decided to not want to record anything at all.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
And by some miracle I made it into work. Not 5 miles in to my 180 mile commute I was debating calling my chief and telling him I can’t make it. Ended up driving about 40 miles of unplowed mountain road.

I can't fathom that. Like it does not compute. I just haven't ever seen enough snow in my life for that to be possible.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Reminds me of this:
FB_IMG_1575052220132.jpg

(Problem averted here 😎)

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Oh, I noticed basically everyone at work has a personal backpack they bring. What all would one put in such a bag? Things like extra deodorant, socks, snacks, (my switch), etc?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh, I noticed basically everyone at work has a personal backpack they bring. What all would one put in such a bag? Things like extra deodorant, socks, snacks, (my switch), etc?
Depends, what kind of shifts are they? 12 or 24?

24hr shifts you'll def want some basic toiletries (toothpaste/brush, deodorant, etc, shower stuff if available), change of underclothes, and yeah, things like tablet, charging cables, etc. 12 hr shifts you can eliminate any overnight stuff.

My duffle bag contains a bunch of clothes (2-3 t shirts at minimum, PT that-that you prob dont have to worry about, shower and toiletries, plethora if charging cables my Kindle, power bank, I even started carrying my Fire Stick, a set of bedding normally lives in my locker that I need to grab when working at other stations....

If you're living in the ambulance on street corners for 12 hours at a time, I'd leave spare clothes in your car, maybe keep one spare undershirt (but always have a spare regular uniform at least in your car/locker at work, prob no room in the ambo to keep it), but for street corner postings, a good car charger with long cord (spend the extra bucks on a fast charger not a cheap 7-11 charger that'll wear out in a week or so and take all day to charge lol), snacks and the like, water, a book, copies of your protocols/area maps to study

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse

Any personal meds you want (naproxen, apap, tums, zofran...), some snacks, water bottle, reference books, ipad, anything else you might want.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Snack pouch, peotein powder, ibuprofen, phone charger, radio strap, books, tablet, stethescope,water bottle are the main things I keep in mine.

CALEMT

peotein powder

For those times you gotta be a bro, bro.

My backpack on the engine is more or less an extended incident bag. I keep an extra t-shirt, skivvies, socks, and deodorant. That way if what I'm wearing is completely f'd off I can mostly swap out what I'm wearing. I also keep a cell phone charger, some electrolyte drink mix, cliff bars, my traffic vest, and other miscellaneous crap.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Couldn’t remember the 1st patient even if I tried. Can remember some real sh-tshow ones, but the rest is a blur.