the 100% directionless thread

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Was going to to come back early to surprise my parents. Dad calls and says our apparently senine 6.5 year old springer spaniel attacked a stranger and has to be put down. I support this, while I love the dog and he is adorable, he is also extremely temperamental and has bit me multiple times without warning, along with some other family members. And drugging him up on Prozac and propranolol didn't seem like it really agreed with him.

So I blew the surprise and asked if they could bring him in a day later, of course they will. Then the shelter calls and and says you have to bring him in immediately or wait a week. Obviously we can't have him around after all this with more people coming to visit. So I missed (and miss) the dog and blew what was really only a small surprise.

On the upside I escaped Colorado before literally every flight got cancelled on the worst travel week of the year, so there's a small victory.

Mhawash

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone! I just took the EMS trainee exam yesterday. Exam#0802. I received an 84 overall grade. About how long will they take to call me?
Then how long till actually working in the field? Thanks.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Hey everyone! I just took the EMS trainee exam yesterday. Exam#0802. I received an 84 overall grade. About how long will they take to call me?

1.For what? What state? Are you employed?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It’ll probably be about 2 weeks before they call you, and when they do they’ll probably want you start working the next day.

Last edited:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
It kinda sounds like maybe you're referring to FDNY EMS? Only because this post sounds like it belongs here: https://emtlife.com/threads/fdny-ems-candidates.35404/page-575#post-681121 where you're far more likely to find FDNY EMS specific answers.

If you're NOT referring to FDNY, apologies, but then what Remi posted is more than likely accurate for most private companies.

But you would need to be specific about which agency in which jurisdiction for more help.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Worked my first code. I was in the ED when word came that there would be an arrest arriving. I asked if I could help, they were more than happy to let me and show me.

I did 2 sets of compressions (not full rounds, necessarily, eventually we were doing continuous CPR and ventilation)

After TPA, they limit recessicitation attempts to 20 minutes. After about 15, we got rosc again and he went to the cath lab.

Note, it was a witnesses arrest by the FD after a call for difficulty breathing iirc. After all was said and done for an hour and 20 minutes, give or take, 2 prior roscs.

I wish I could know the outcome

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Is it wrong to watch cooking videos for an hour a
Worked my first code. I was in the ED when word came that there would be an arrest arriving. I asked if I could help, they were more than happy to let me and show me.

I did 2 sets of compressions (not full rounds, necessarily, eventually we were doing continuous CPR and ventilation)

After TPA, they limit recessicitation attempts to 20 minutes. After about 15, we got rosc again and he went to the cath lab.

Note, it was a witnesses arrest by the FD after a call for difficulty breathing iirc. After all was said and done for an hour and 20 minutes, give or take, 2 prior roscs.

I wish I could know the outcome

Ah...no one forgets their first full arrest...mine was the day I first certified in CPR. San Francisco Tenderloin flop house where we stood the victim up, lashed to a scoop stretcher, in a tiny elevator doing chest compressions with an EOA (look it up) for ventilation. I was 16.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief

Ah...no one forgets their first full arrest...mine was the day I first certified in CPR. San Francisco Tenderloin flop house where we stood the victim up, lashed to a scoop stretcher, in a tiny elevator doing chest compressions with an EOA (look it up) for ventilation. I was 16.
Nope. I couldn't tell ya what my last one was, but I definitely remember the first.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
And since my response somehow quoted you asking about watching cooking videos. Pan seared sirloin basted in garlic, butter, and rosemary with mashed potatoes (mix with garlic, butter, ,milk, and marscarpone cheese), and pan seared asparagus. Probably the best dinner I've had in a while, although I can only really take credit for the steak.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Met my brothers fiancé and him. It was good. Winter 2019 is better without wheelchairs

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Have to love working holidays. Originally off but have no family in state and the better half was scheduled to work so I picked up a shift at the ER. 40 minutes into shift the other tech goes, "so we're going to have a mass cal"...uh real world or drill?

Bus flipped and we're the only trauma center in the region...

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

My very first call an EMT was unwitnessed arrest, PD found man down between snowbank and is car. According wife he went out to warm up car about 30min prior. Got ROSC scene but he passed away at the hospital of a second arrest.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
First as a student was a fall from standing with clavicle fx.

First IFT was a bari lift assist.

First 911 as a cadet was an OD.

First 911 after being released was a full arrest.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
First call as an EMT was a dialysis run... nothing exciting. First full arrest I was 16 and an explorer. Dude had a heart attack while riding a bike, never got pulses back.

Side note, the turkey is almost done and the house smells amazing. It's cold AF outside with sideways freezing rain/ snow.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
First call as an EMT student ride along was a baby locked in a car (kid was fine), first as an EMT was a Kaiser pt pick up from home to an appt if I recall correctly, first 911 call was a stroke at a nursing home.