the 100% directionless thread

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
@Tigger, so how many of y'all are now looking for a new job? That would possibly push me out the door too.
I think there are a few already and I put one in several hours from here too. I think the actual shift change is not really the problem so much as just the awful implantation by our supervisors following a whole slew of other management missteps.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
So it took my wife and I the better half of two months to find a legitimate foundation to donate funds to the Maya Guatemalans devastated by the Fuego Volcano at the beginning of last month.

For those unfamiliar with the volcano, or who don’t much follow world news feel free to Google search and it will come up.

Unfortunately, the devastation that this impoverished country received decimated a large part of an already fragile eco-system, and people. It was also largely overshadowed by the press given the ongoing volcanic eruptions in Hawaii.
53FCEE56-3872-44AA-A521-DE3FE881AD25.png

Anyhow, if anyone is feeling generous or knows of anybody else who would legitimately like to give to a good cause this is as noble a cause as I can think of.

Like I said, having searched and searched for a way to ensure that my wife’s and I funds were correctly appropriated was important to us as well. I’m not one to give away free money myself, but again, I hardly see this as wasteful spending.

The reason I feel it’s relative to EMS in general is A) we’re by and large caring, good natured people, and B) this [to me] epitomizes heroism.

I nearly created a thread post in the “News” section, but felt replies are unwarranted. Even just sharing the link I attached below with others would be enough. Monetarily, any donations given are about four-fold in their country.

http://mayaedufound.org/

I don’t SM much, but my wife does have Facebook and has shared the link with some impressive numbers in less than 24 hours; pretty neat, IMO.

Thanks all for listening to my admittedly solicited rant, cheers!

-Vent.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
RIP Skagit County Medic One... You were a wonderful EMS only agency. So sad to see it get dissolved and turned into a fire based EMS.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
That's a shame.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
. 357 Magnum to the head..... Ya, can't fit that.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Yea I'll go look for a new job now. I was hoping to find an agency that would hire me in a few years into entry level management role but I think at this point I'd prefer to live in a more desirable place and just get treated ok and call it good. Maybe in a few years I can get promoted internally.

/whine.

I had a couple similar experiences fairly early in my career. What it taught me was not to expect any more from my job than a paycheck and the personal satisfaction of my own performance. It's great to have a work environment and co-workers that I really enjoy, but those things are bonuses, not really the goal. There's just too much about the work environment that I have no control over, as well as a pervasive attitude among management types these days that change just for the sake of change is good, no matter how well things are already working.

I actually credit that shift in my attitude with a lot of my career success and personal satisfaction with life, because it not only has made it easier for me to make objective career decisions, but also to keep my focus on my life outside of work.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I had a couple similar experiences fairly early in my career. What it taught me was not to expect any more from my job than a paycheck and the personal satisfaction of my own performance. It's great to have a work environment and co-workers that I really enjoy, but those things are bonuses, not really the goal. There's just too much about the work environment that I have no control over, as well as a pervasive attitude among management types these days that change just for the sake of change is good, no matter how well things are already working.

I actually credit that shift in my attitude with a lot of my career success and personal satisfaction with life
, because it not only has made it easier for me to make objective career decisions, but also to keep my focus on my life outside of work.
There’s just so many good morsels of wisdom spoken here. I only regret it will most likely be skimmed through and lost in the piles of “directionless-ness”.

@Remi I could not agree with you more. Having dealt with endless co-workers asking me why I don’t pursue higher career goals, what rings truest, and remains most prevalent to me is what I’ve highlighted.

Put simply: I’m happier now than I have ever been. It’s also remarkably easier when life balances itself out so much so that work is but an income that you mostly enjoy because life and you have found your medium- satisfaction.

Really, there are no secrets. Everything requires effort, but if it’s one thing I would stress take precedence before figuring out how to thrive in ones chosen “profession”, it would probably be to square up with life itself first.

The rest ironically seems to fall into play shortly thereafter.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
That was a fun "deployment". In other news @CALEMT absolutely destroys me in horseshoes while at camp...

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Lo2w

Forum Captain
what, were they from Oregon or New Jersey?

No clue ... Left them to fill while I went inside the Stop 'n Rob. Came back out:

"We have a problem, it's not working"

OK

"So I did this" - (swipes gas card, enters mileage)

Right...

"Then this" (nozzle in the tank)

Uh huh

(Partner presses the diesel button) "And see? Doesn't work"

I reached over and flipped the lever up, as prompted...

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I reached over and flipped the lever up, as prompted...

Sometimes I get bamboozled by the flip up lever. It happens mostly on out of state road trips, we don't really have the flip up lever in CA.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I forgot how exhausting it is to FTO a new person. o_O
I covered a half shift for an FTO the other day and it was easy. They were well past halfway and everything was straight forward. Ijust got to be a fly on the wall, but to be fair, we didn't do any critical calls where my hands would have been useful.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Laid out all I want to do for the ems symposium here this year. If it doesn't overlap with the critical care skills lab/clinicals, November is going to be a ****ing awesome month.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
PT requested a room and a TV as we wheeled into the ED, "not one of those hall beds"...

Didn't have the heart to tell them it wasn't the Holiday Inn.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So, today is my last shift on Recruit probation. It also (by coincidence) happens to be the last day of our 3 day Kelley cycle (XoXoXoooo) with day 4 of the 4 day being our 1 year mark and the 1st shift back next cycle on our watch being the first day officially off Recruit probation.

So...at 8:30 tonight they put out a transfer list...basically everyone from my class got their assignments shuffled (looks like we're all still in the same battalion Samoa watch, just different stations)...and the 1st day of our next cycle is our first day at the new assignment...

So, at 8:30pm I found out this is my last shift with this crew and next shift I'm somewhere else lol.

So the new station is about half the drive time yay! But out of 43 engines in the department, my current assignment is the 5th slowest in the dept....my new engine is one of the 4 that's slower >< lol