the 100% directionless thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Ever have one of those days when you get a good look at your own mortality?

I transported a septic woman yesterday to the ED from a PCPs office. She looked like death, hypotensive and feverish. She was s/p double mastectomy about 2 weeks ago and had a bunch of other unrelated medical issues. While we were driving, she asked me for another blanket and when I draped it around her shoulders she said, “thanks for helping out grandma”.

She was 2 years younger than me.

Made me take a long look in the mirror. I’m fat and out of shape. My cholesterol is high and so is my glucose. I need to get my stuff in order or I’m going to be the one on the stretcher soon.

I need to find a plan that I can manage and make it happen. I’ve got too much left to do.

Sucks when you come to those realizations. Need any advice I’m more than willing to help out.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Ever have one of those days when you get a good look at your own mortality?

I transported a septic woman yesterday to the ED from a PCPs office. She looked like death, hypotensive and feverish. She was s/p double mastectomy about 2 weeks ago and had a bunch of other unrelated medical issues. While we were driving, she asked me for another blanket and when I draped it around her shoulders she said, “thanks for helping out grandma”.

She was 2 years younger than me.

Made me take a long look in the mirror. I’m fat and out of shape. My cholesterol is high and so is my glucose. I need to get my stuff in order or I’m going to be the one on the stretcher soon.

I need to find a plan that I can manage and make it happen. I’ve got too much left to do.
There is one couple that works at my level 1 I am friends with that started the keto diet for those same reasons. I'm not sure it's necessary as a long term change, but the areas I know people have success with it is weight loss and getting blood sugar back to a good level. It's at least a change that involves minimal time or financial investment.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Damn, got my first failed intubation of the year. Passed it off and my supervisor got it, but still annoying.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
received_657284564634332.jpeg

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Aww man...so now that we're off Recruit probation, they can send us to another station for the day to cover for manpower issues.

Well today I got sent to relieve to another station...and my station then caught a 2 alarm house fire in district, first on scene while I was relieving at the other station...

So close, yet so far lol

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Had an IFT to a tertiary Level 1 for an ARDS patient being transferred for (VV) ECMO; P/F ratio was grossly under 200.

It was probably the most interesting call I have had all summer, clinically speaking.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Had an IFT to a tertiary Level 1 for an ARDS patient being transferred for (VV) ECMO; P/F ratio was grossly under 200.

It was probably the most interesting call I have had all summer, clinically speaking.

They can be very exciting and very terrifying. We are doing retrieval ECMO more often now. Picking up the ECMO Surgeon, flying them to the sending, placing on ECMO, and transporting back. A lot of logistics and planning involved but much smoother for the patient.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief

Ok, teaching moment for a very soon to be student. It's supposed to be in the 4-5 range, not 2, because normal ol air floating around compared to a healthy PaO2 correct?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Apparently my car and the road had a conversation today and decided it was time to get a new oil pan... Yeah!

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Apparently my car and the road had a conversation today and decided it was time to get a new oil pan... Yeah!
Ooof >< yeah my truck has decided to snap both my front sway bar links. Fortunately that so far seems to be a minor enough issue, able to drive to work still...more minor than needing a new pan at least

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Also, I'm reaaallllyyy enjoying this "new station is a 20 min drive vs a 50 min drive to my old one" and even though its day 3 of the new station, I'm already taking full advantage of the extra sleep in time lol

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Ok, teaching moment for a very soon to be student. It's supposed to be in the 4-5 range, not 2, because normal ol air floating around compared to a healthy PaO2 correct?
I assume you're referring to the A-a gradient here. If so, yes that sounds more or less correct, and there are certain (multiple) variables to take into account. My understanding of the P/F ratio is that it's one of several tools utilized to rule in/ out ARDS. Given the fact that it's more or less a marker for hypoxemia, it's most applicable in this patient subset.

Couple this with a patient admitted for pneumonia, for example, who's also failed antibiotics, BiPap trials, and is being proned 14 out of 24 hours in a day. The likelihood that the measurement of a patient's P/F ratio carrying added diagnostic value is highly probable. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful.

Also, Go Jays!

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Sitting at the station waiting to start a 48 tomorrow. Check out Country Roland on YouTube. Hablas espanol, verdad?

I changed companies. Been up to my ears in new protocols and a different system, plus getting used to the change from a B to an A.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Proud partner moment. So she ran her first arrest as a medic and got stellar reviews I heard (which I knew would happen, I let her take point on pretty much anything except the ones I needed to be hands on ASAP). Talked her up when she started, glad to hear she is absolutely rocking it. Sad to lose another great partner, but she is going to be a fantastic medic.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Mas o menos compa, pero estas muy bien...

That’s some legit under appreciated country conjunto, verdad?...

It's good stuff, he was basically local down in the Rio Grande Valley and played a lot of dances.

Reference speaking Spanish, Yo no hablo perfectamente, pero hablo sin miedo.