the 100% directionless thread

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
The Apache helicopter meme is pretty insulting to the transgender community.

There are two genders. Male and Female. Anything else is a mental illness.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
There are two genders. Male and Female. Anything else is a mental illness.

Gender =/= biological sex. Terminology does matter in this context. And that's most assuredly not true, the DSM doesn't say anything like that.

And don't forget, male/female dichotomy is not necessarily cross-cultural (think: the Hirjras of India).

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Flying to Atlanta. Really hoping my flight isn't canceled when I get there....Got money to make tomorrow
Ha. Good luck leaving the airport. Although it does seem like we are better prepared than the last 3 times it snowed...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Flying to Atlanta. Really hoping my flight isn't canceled when I get there....Got money to make tomorrow

So you're fly there, gotta be official now.

Where'd you take a job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Ha. Good luck leaving the airport. Although it does seem like we are better prepared than the last 3 times it snowed...
I got stuck here like 3 years ago and stayed with my exes family. Her cousins school got canceled because it was cold. I love Georgia, but y'all were a bit ridiculous with that one. :p

Where'd you take a job?

Layover bud. It is gonna be a looooong time before I ever take a full time 911 gig at a district or whatever, if I ever do. Just passing through.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Where'd you take a job?

Twist of fate. Atlanta Fire Department.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Y'know, before 2014, I had a simplistic view of homosexuality/transsexualism. In the spring of that year, one of the most intelligent and gracious individuals that I've ever met died by suicide. His depression and subsequent suicide were connected to his homosexuality. My views on sex are still pretty simplistic, tbh (keep it in your pants outside of marriage), but my views on sexuality are much more sensitive now.

Jokes can be good fun, but don't forget to be kind.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Addendum: and if I ever apply to a full time department, I am most likely moving back to Texas where I can actually get paid good money.

Fixed for you.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Fixed for you.

Fair point. I do really like Texas, I believe I made some reference to the women, food, and guns not too long ago. Except the heat. **** that. However, I will have connections in Missouri. People who can keep me in the loop on the good places to work or put in a good word for me (assuming I am not a ****bag and deserve it). I like where I live in Missouri too, its like a new home, so Texas would have to give me an opportunity too good to say no to.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If you have a little kid, you should not tow them in a sled behind a jeep. And if they do wipe out and sustain a legit liver lac and a bunch of facial fractures, you should probably be forthright about that with everyone providing care. $@#*(U@! People, shouldn't take a trooper going to the ED to figure out what happened.

Last edited:

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
If you have a little kid, you should not tow them in a sled behind a jeep. And if they do wipe out and sustain a legit liver lac and a bunch of facial fractures, you should probably be forthright about that with everyone providing care. $@#*(U@! People, should take a trooper going to the ED to figure out what happened.

Too bad there is no statute against criminally stupid.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Flight delayed til 1:20 (yes, departure).....**** me....

On the bright side, I am officially allowed to work in two states....Yaaaaay....Gonna cry myself to sleep now.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Flight delayed til 1:20 (yes, departure).....**** me....

On the bright side, I am officially allowed to work in two states....Yaaaaay....Gonna cry myself to sleep now.

Hope you brought a travel pillow.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
That's typical delays for Newark or any NYC airport NO SYMPATHY. Lol jk that blows

mct601

RN/NRP
What kind of boots does everyone rock now? I'm on my second set of Bates and it's time to retire them. Tried 5.11, they fall apart albeit very comfortable. I need something with a side zip for long shifts. Anyone got experience with HAIX?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Whatever happened to "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"? All this is people playing the victim just for attention. Welcome to the internet, where everyone is a critic and your feelings don't matter. Am I biased or discriminate someone just because they're gay, lesbian, transgender, apache attack helicopter, or whatever there is nowadays? Absolutely not, I treat everyone with respect until they give me a reason not to. Do I necessarily agree with whatever it is they're doing? No, I have my opinions and views and others have theirs. People need to grow some thick skin, joking is going to happen wether your gay, straight, bisexual, transgender, white, black, hispanic, etc.

Being respectful is not joking about a serious subject like that and just saying "It is a joke. You need thicker skin." These aren't only jokes, but reinforces the thoughts have about all these different groups so it is OK for the poor treatment receive to continue and be disregarded. At one point do we see that we've crossed the line and say "That's not OK." Ironically, my partner was just telling me (after I made this post and not bringing up the issue with her at all) that she found out one her friends, who was a transgender woman, just killed herself today. It is time for us to not say "grow a thick skin" or "it is only a joke" and realize how these things could be harmful to our friends or family. You could know someone that is transgender. You likely do. These jokes puts them deeper in the closet and make them feel like their only option is suicide to avoid total humilation.

Y'know, before 2014, I had a simplistic view of homosexuality/transsexualism. In the spring of that year, one of the most intelligent and gracious individuals that I've ever met died by suicide. His depression and subsequent suicide were connected to his homosexuality. My views on sex are still pretty simplistic, tbh (keep it in your pants outside of marriage), but my views on sexuality are much more sensitive now.

Jokes can be good fun, but don't forget to be kind.

Both viewpoints are right here.

We should be kind to each other and respectful of each other's feelings and challenges. That's why I don't personally post or usually comment on memes or jokes like the one in question here.

On the other hand, there is a really legitimate, if unpleasant point to be made about having thicker skin, because at the end of the day the harsh reality we all have to face is that the world - and especially the internet - really doesn't care about any of our feelings. An important corollary to that is that intelligent, decent people can be tolerant and respectful of other's lifestyles and still poke fun at them. It may come off as a little insensitive or tasteless at times, but the intent isn't to harm or harass, so isn't the same thing as being "hateful" or "discriminatory".

The high rates of depression, suicide, and domestic violence in the LGBT community is really unfortunate, but I don't think those problems can be blamed at all on internet memes or gay jokes. Remember that our society in general has become WAY more tolerate in the past decade.