the 100% directionless thread

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Sort of... I press a button to make a machine get vitals for me.
And when We are not doing that, we are playing COD at the station and chugging red bull.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I feel like I'm never going to get a "first job". I have four applications out, one under review. The postings for all the positions I have applied for have been taken down. It's been two months of nothing except for the one that is under review. I've been doing everything that has been suggested...calling once a week to check app status, making sure they know I'm really interested. I've gotten a FEMA cert in the meantime and plan on doing another next week. I know it looks like I'm inexperienced on my resume....well.....I am. Doesn't everyone start out that way? I've been volunteering with a rural FD and been getting patient contact experience (which is on my resume) I'm not sure what more I can do. I'm trying really hard not to feel discouraged. And moving is just not an option for me at this time.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
You're just making it harder on yourself.
"Harder" is sticking with people and organizations that don't cut the mustard in hopes they'll decide to stop being lazy and subpar. Unlikely.

Better to go with a better option.

RocketMedic

I feel like I'm never going to get a "first job". I have four applications out, one under review. The postings for all the positions I have applied for have been taken down. It's been two months of nothing except for the one that is under review. I've been doing everything that has been suggested...calling once a week to check app status, making sure they know I'm really interested. I've gotten a FEMA cert in the meantime and plan on doing another next week. I know it looks like I'm inexperienced on my resume....well.....I am. Doesn't everyone start out that way? I've been volunteering with a rural FD and been getting patient contact experience (which is on my resume) I'm not sure what more I can do. I'm trying really hard not to feel discouraged. And moving is just not an option for me at this time.

Diversify....get some extra book learnin'

Angel

Paramedic
You're just making it harder on yourself.

i get what youre saying but i couldnt nor would i want to work some place where i would be absolutely miserable at. places ive worked less than say....3 months wont make it onto my resume anyway, but thats just me

RocketMedic

i get what youre saying but i couldnt nor would i want to work some place where i would be absolutely miserable at. places ive worked less than say....3 months wont make it onto my resume anyway, but thats just me

Exactly. There's literally no reason to even mention failed experiments.

RocketMedic

So I kinda want to do a "Bar Rescue" but for EMS...

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Exactly. There's literally no reason to even mention failed experiments.

Except that your prospective employer probably expects/wants/asked you to report "all" pertinent prior employment on their application, not just the ones that you wanted to report.

Therefore, not including it is dishonest.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I just spent real money for resources in one of those "pay-to-play" game apps. I feel dirty

Angel

Paramedic
Except that your prospective employer probably expects/wants/asked you to report "all" pertinent prior employment on their application, not just the ones that you wanted to report.

Therefore, not including it is dishonest.

thats your opinon. i have never had an employer care or ask about a job worked less than 30 days. and im not going to clutter my resume with it when ive had more meaningful job experience that will actually be of value to the perspective employer. if you want to include all 10+ jobs youve worked since you were 16 thats on you. Its irrelevant to the job im applying to now so it wont be included.
and besides its not your application or resume so why are you worried about it?

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Got back in the saddle tonight :D
Just went to the gas station. But damn it was amazing. I switched the clutch lever with a shorty so I don't have to use my left hand quite as much since it still hurts a teensy bit when stretched too far.
Also on that note, I start pt for my hand next week. Just need to get a little more ROM back in my wrist and my recruiter said she'd start my papers again. For delayed entry, of course.
On that note though... I no longer know if I want to go through pararescue. Honestly I know it sounds lazy, but I don't really want to put the effort into a 6 minute mile again. It took me a year to get to where I was for the pipeline and to lose the 80 lbs I had too.
As it is, my therapist had me run the other day and my leg gave out after about 3 steps. And through this all I unfortunately used it as an excuse and put on about 30 lbs.
Really not sure how much effort I want to put in to waking up at 4 am every day to train for 2-3 hours like I was.
I've honestly been considering just
saying whatever and finding a different career. As it was my ASVAB scores let me pick anything in any branch. Considering a couple different options.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
thats your opinon. i have never had an employer care or ask about a job worked less than 30 days. and im not going to clutter my resume with it when ive had more meaningful job experience that will actually be of value to the perspective employer. if you want to include all 10+ jobs youve worked since you were 16 thats on you. Its irrelevant to the job im applying to now so it wont be included.
and besides its not your application or resume so why are you worried about it?

Whoa there, cowgirl.....trust me, I'm not the least bit worried about your resume or anyone else's. My post wasn't even directed towards you...it was directed towards Rocketmedic.

There is a difference between what you put on your resume and what you put on an application that asks you to list "all previous pertinent employment", or something along those lines.

I've seen lots of applications, and I've never seen one that said "please list all pertinent employment UNLESS it lasted less than three months". In fact some employers ask for extra detail about employment that brief.

If the application you are filling out specifically directs you to omit brief periods of employment, great. If it doesn't say that though, and you don't include it, then you are lying.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Last edited:

Angel

Paramedic
you realize most applications dont specify right? and yes i have seen and applied to jobs that dont want to see any employment <30 days soo???