the 100% directionless thread

JPINFV

Gadfly
...and here's my problem with law enforcement. They've pretty much said that his only punishment is going to be the standard paid vacation.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Potentially. The other thing I considered was poor reaction time. Right before he turned, it looked like he was moving forward. The officer may have saw him moving forward, and in the time he took to decide he was advancing and decide to take his shot, they guy turned instead of moved forward. It's still a stretch, though. And like you said, it still doesn't make it okay.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
...and here's my problem with law enforcement. They've pretty much said that his only punishment is going to be the standard paid vacation.

Wouldn't they be charged with homicide if it's deemed unjustified?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Wouldn't they be charged with homicide if it's deemed unjustified?

You mean like the officers who shot up the two trucks in the Dorner man hunt because... well they were trucks? One of which had already been cleared by another officer. ::crickets::

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You mean like the officers who shot up the two trucks in the Dorner man hunt because... well they were trucks? One of which had already been cleared by another officer. ::crickets::

I actually didn't hear anything about that.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I actually didn't hear anything about that.

2 Hispanic females driving a different color, different make truck delivering newspapers were fired upon without warning with 20-30 rounds (police estimate) to over 100 rounds (victim's lawyer's estimate) resulting in moderate injuries. To be honest, 20-30 rounds fired at a slow moving truck that didn't result in a fatality should, on it's own, be grounds for termination simply for lack of marksmanship.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/christo...t-women-shot-by-lapd-officers-had-no-warning/

White dude driving a different make, different color truck is stopped questioned released. That's followed immediately by him being rammed and fired upon without warning. Per the police spokesman, "Hey, extraordinary times. How dare you question what goes through an officers mind in the split second they make these decisions" (slight hyperbole with the wording, but they really did offer that excuse)

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/09/local/la-me-torrance-shooting-20130210

Per Wikipedia (and you know if there was a trial it'd be listed), no charges against anyone, just Chief Beck saying "remediation up to termination."

Mind you, if anyone else decided to shoot up random trucks simply for being a truck, the police would have no problems forwarding our case to the DA for charges.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Police tactics have become dramatically more aggressive in recent years. They are taught that they are "warriors" fighting a "war on drugs/terror/whatever" and that the public is "the enemy". Their dress, equipment, and tactics reflect that attitude. They are trained that every person they contact presents a real threat to their lives, and that they are justified in mitigating any perceived threat with deadly force. This is a very dangerous trend.

It is impossible to read the national news even casually without coming across a story like this at least once every few days. And if you look at the right sources you find many more examples that aren't widely covered. After being interested in this topic for a while now, I am quite convinced that police abuse of the public is a very under-appreciated problem and that it happens a lot more than most of us would like to contemplate. It is impossible to know for sure because stats on this stuff simply aren't tracked by anyone, and even if they were, they rely on self-reporting by the police.

Anyone interested in this topic should read Rise of the Warrior Cop by Radley Balko. It is an exhaustive documentary of the way the "war on drugs" and the "war on terror" have affected police attitudes and tactics. It is not anti-cop at all, but it is highly critical of these trends. An excellent read.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
You mean this video?
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8aa_1395460451

The one where it shows him turning around slowly with his arms out to his side when they open fire?

But hey, at least we have our priorities straight over someone who was camping illegally.

Here's what bothers me in the video... they were negotiating with him to walk out, and had him grab his stuff.... THEN they said "do it" released the dog, and hit him with less-lethal munitions.

If they wanted him in cuffs, don't lie to the man and then change the rules in a flash. He appeared to be cooperative, and they attacked him anyway. Would appear that's when he produced the knives.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Here's what bothers me in the video... they were negotiating with him to walk out, and had him grab his stuff.... THEN they said "do it" released the dog, and hit him with less-lethal munitions.

If they wanted him in cuffs, don't lie to the man and then change the rules in a flash. He appeared to be cooperative, and they attacked him anyway. Would appear that's when he produced the knives.

Agreed.

100%

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
So the Angels hitting coach Don Baylor hurt his ankle (possible broken) on the first pitch... bottom of the first and Trout hits a 2 homer on the second pitch thrown to him. I guess you can say that Baylor took on for the team and took breaking a leg to a whole new level... Its going to be a good season, I can feel it

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Who'd have known a questionnaire to adopt a dog would be longer than a job application.

His name is Reno, he's a 1.5 year old German Shepherd/Siberian Husky mix at a rescue facility.

Financially...probably not the best decision but I've been looking at getting a dog for a long time, what better time than when I'm out of work and have nothing but time to build a relationship? Plus he'll get my *** off the couch and outta the house more and give me more motivation to run once I'm able too.

Crossing my fingers that I'll have a partner in crime soon :)

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
What's the other half think of the decision?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So today was my very first shift on as a fire department AO (ambulance operator). The station I'm assigned to (at least for training) has a full task force (Engine, Truck, and BLS Ambulance, the last obviously being my assigned apparatus lol). Among the highlights of the day was when I got invited to ride out on the engine when they and the truck got called to a structure fire o_O

Basically what had happened was that the two station captains called me into their office to give me the whole "Welcome to our station and crew, these are your duties and assignments and expectations etc etc etc" speech. As soon as they started the ambulance got a call in another district, but the captains decided there talk was more important so the ambulance went out and I stayed in the office.

Several minutes later as the talk was ending, before the ambulance returned, both truck and engine got a structure fire dispatch, and rather than leave the day 1 newbie by himself in station they basically told me to hop on a spare seat in the engine which I gladly did lol

The call got cancelled enroute and we returned to station, but needless to say, I very seriously doubt I'll be riding the engine to a fire (or any other call) until I change the color of my shirt and eliminate the Ambulance Operator rocker underneath my fire dept patch lol

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
What's the other half think of the decision?

She's actually the one that came up with the idea of doing it now. I'm not super keen on the timing due to the financial aspect of it and the fight I'm having to fight with the insurance company for the transition from short to long term disability. Her answer to that was, "Babe, I can work one OT shift and pay the adoption fee and a big bag of food and a flat of wet food that will be fine until it get's sorted out."

Nice part is the pup already has his shots, is neutered and microchipped so there's a lot of stuff that I don't have to worry about.

You know, she drives me crazy sometimes but then she turns around and does something like that and I wonder how I got so lucky.

The one thing I am worried about is there's another person interested in him and they're not broken. The guy I've been conversing with is worried about the exercise aspect of it for the dog. When I told him I've got about .25 of an acre of well fenced yard, it's my non-dominant hand and I can still throw a tennis ball, especially with one of those $5 ball-flinger things he was like "well...that solves that problem."

I'm really hoping this works out. I've been talking about getting a dog since I finished medic school but have always backed out because I didn't think it was fair to the dog that I work such long shifts and I wouldn't be able to spend a lot of time with it right off the bat. Now I've got nothing but time and in all honesty...could really use a friend.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm so done working in the hospital. I've been attacked four times tonight and bit once. I'm just so done right now

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Did you bite back?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
That's a nice mix! Does it look more shepherd or husky?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
4u6u2u7a.jpg

I want a tactical toaster. I would be envied by wackers at every turn.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
My dog was a lifesaver when I was going through a rough time. She was a calm companion and a furry friend. :) Can you tell I think dogs rule? Now, she keeps a close watch on my daughter.

I hope it all works out!
hu7ugede.jpg

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Mostly shepherd. Should find out today hopefully :)