the 100% directionless thread

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

terrible one

Always wandering
Yeah no kidding and thanks last season I wasn't to hopeful... this year its a totally different story, hopefully I'll hear something in the next couple months

EDIT: Also just checked on the CAL FIRE webpage and there was a article saying that starting Monday March 31 additional seasonal firefighters will be hired and several remote seasonal stations will be opened. So from what I'm gathering from the article is that CAL FIRE got some sort of funding or approval for all of this... now I'm excited haha maybe some of my Irish luck will look down upon me and I'll get a job offer Monday

Ya could be. I start Monday and I know several other SoCal divisions start tomorrow too.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Apparently because of the cops that shot a homeless guy who threatened to kill them while wielding two knifes.

http://krqe.com/2014/03/30/second-prostest-against-apd-calls-for-justice/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/28/james-boyd-shooting_n_5052370.html

"Albuquerque police fatally shot James Boyd, 38, in the Sandia foothills following an hours-long standoff and after he threatened to kill officers with a small knife, authorities said. He died after officers fired stun guns, bean bags and six live rounds, authorities said.

But a helmet-camera video showed Boyd, who claimed to be a federal agent, agreeing to walk down the mountain with them, gathering his things and taking a step toward officers just before they fired."

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
The local pd and a few of the most recent officer involved shootings

Glad I didn't make it further than Heart Hospital today.

Apparently because of the cops that shot a homeless guy who threatened to kill them while wielding two knifes.

It's actually less about an particular shooting as it is about the fact that APD is gun happy, and it's been getting worse.

Since I moved to ABQ, whenever someone asks me "Have you heard about the police shooting?" I have to ask, "Which one?".

Now, I like cops, and the general attitude of ":censored::censored::censored::censored: the police" infuriates me. I will always give PD the benefit of the doubt, because I've seen just the edges of what their job is actually like. Still, it has to be said that APD has a genuine problem here. Off the top of my head (and I don't follow such things), I can think of three police shootings in the last year that straight up cannot be justified.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

JPINFV

Gadfly
1. Florida drivers are the worst drivers I've seen.

2. Florida police are worse emergency drivers than Boston EMS. 2 lanes of 4-5 cars each being pushed into an intersection against a red light, almost causing a collision (cross traffic obviously couldn't see the police units a 1/4th block back), all to get the 1/2 block further for the drunk guy who was already in cuffs.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
In the video I watched, he still had the knives in his hands when he did. They shot him because he refused to disarm himself. All bodycam videos of APD I have seen were justified and good shoots.

This generation just has nothing better than to bust out their guy fawkes mask and protest.

JPINFV

Gadfly
In the video I watched, he still had the knives in his hands when he did. They shot him because he refused to disarm himself. All bodycam videos of APD I have seen were justified and good shoots.

This generation just has nothing better than to bust out their guy fawkes mask and protest.

So? Refusal to disarm isn't in and of itself justification for deadly force. I guess Ruby Ridge isn't the embarrassment to the US Government that it at least should have been.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So? Refusal to disarm isn't in and of itself justification for deadly force. I guess Ruby Ridge isn't the embarrassment to the US Government that it at least should have been.

I only watched the video once a little bit ago but from what I saw the man was walking towards the officers with the knife still in his hand. That is a threating move towards the officers

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

Walking towards officers with a deadly weapon is though. Just because it's a short range weapon doesn't make it any less deadly. If he had a gun would people be complaining the same?

JPINFV

Gadfly
You mean this video?
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8aa_1395460451

The one where it shows him turning around slowly with his arms out to his side when they open fire?

But hey, at least we have our priorities straight over someone who was camping illegally.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Walking towards officers with a deadly weapon is though. Just because it's a short range weapon doesn't make it any less deadly. If he had a gun would people be complaining the same?

So every open carry activist should be shot, right? Never mind that having a deadly weapon isn't necessarily illegal.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
So every open carry activist should be shot, right? Never mind that having a deadly weapon isn't necessarily illegal.

Didn't he threaten to attack and kill them multiple times? I doubt open carriers will be doing that.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Didn't he threaten to attack and kill them multiple times? I doubt open carriers will be doing that.

What's recorded is him speaking in hypothetical, which while I'll grant should be taken as a threat, still doesn't justify shooting someone in the back. If we're going to use this justification, then they should have shot him immediately, not 10 seconds later while turning around. Granted, I'm coming at this from a Californian perspective where we've had a recent history of things like the Kelly Thomas murder and Oscar Grant execution.

So, based off of this, wouldn't Kelly Thomas be justified in running away? A man with a gun just got done putting on gloves while muttering that he was "going to ____ you up." However I digress.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
100% not a justifiable shooting. I am all about being on the PD's side and use of deadly force, but that was a big no no. I'm sure the FBI will find them guilty after their investigation.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Glad I didn't make it further than Heart Hospital today.

It's actually less about an particular shooting as it is about the fact that APD is gun happy, and it's been getting worse.

Since I moved to ABQ, whenever someone asks me "Have you heard about the police shooting?" I have to ask, "Which one?".

Now, I like cops, and the general attitude of ":censored::censored::censored::censored: the police" infuriates me. I will always give PD the benefit of the doubt, because I've seen just the edges of what their job is actually like. Still, it has to be said that APD has a genuine problem here. Off the top of my head (and I don't follow such things), I can think of three police shootings in the last year that straight up cannot be justified.

I'm with you on how I feel about police.

I don't like APD because an officer who was employed there at the time in their squad car, while he was off duty, blew a light king code 3 "chasing a DWI suspect" and killed my partner's little sister and broke his other sisters pelvis and back.

Now that's on the officer not the department...then I saw a video of the year anniversary and another LEO blowing that same late, without any lights or sirens, around the same time of night the accident happened exactly a year prior.

That's just plain stupid.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Agreed. That was incredibly stupid. That guy posed no immediate threat. I can potentially see where the other officers were coming from in using their less-than-lethals (though still seemed unnecessary from that video); but for the officer that actually fired his rifle- ridiculous.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Agreed. That was incredibly stupid. That guy posed no immediate threat. I can potentially see where the other officers were coming from in using their less-than-lethals (though still seemed unnecessary from that video); but for the officer that actually fired his rifle- ridiculous.

I wonder if the rifle shot wasn't a "oh :censored::censored::censored::censored: there's shooting I should shoot too" type of reaction. Not that it makes it ok.