the 100% directionless thread

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Here's a picture to give you an idea, definitely can tell there's husky in him but not a ton.

ThorKawasakiLeftProfile.jpg

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Yeah, I can definitely see the husky. Very nice!

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
That's a nice looking dog! I hope you get him. I wanted a German shepherd since I was a little kid, then my family got a yellow lab & she is a amazing dog.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I take this too seriously sometimes.

Is that breaking news?

I am and have been repeatedly mystified, disgusted, surprised, unsurprised, self-questioning, and astounded by the hardheaded insistence that prehospital technicians are formal medical professionals, and stubborn willingness of some forum members to "take the chance" of cutting off patient limbs with a chainsaw, knowing and defiantly giving the wrong dose of a drug, assaulting a patient with a deadly weapon (in self defense), drive like a kamikaze, face down State Police on an accident scene, and intrude into a dangerous environment without proper equipment training or permission.

If I half believed all that dreck I'd start laughing and log out for good.

Here's to the EMTLIFE folks who know what it's all really about and tell the reasoned truth. :beerchug:

And to the rest of you too. Cheers!!!!;)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I feel extremely weak in OB and pedi pathos. Sadly it's not just myself, it's the whole class. We are all stressing about our PEPP test tomorrow.

Instructor tells us "infants are never belly breathers. If you get a question that says they are belly breathers the answer is false". Alright cool no issues there. Turn to several pages in the PEPP book and bam "infants are belly breathers".

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I am and have been repeatedly mystified, disgusted, surprised, unsurprised, self-questioning, and astounded by the hardheaded insistence that prehospital technicians are formal medical professionals

Can you at least recognize that this is something that has already changed in many parts of the world and is changing in much of the country? We've come a long way from where we started as ambulance attendants, or even paramedics of the 1970s. Much depends on the definition of a technician vs. a "medical professional", but to me, simply working under a set of protocols established for me by a physician doesn't mean I don't make independent clinical decisions or function as an unthinking automaton. There's a lot of room on this spectrum to recognize that we can be medical professionals in our own right without going the utterly fallacious route of comparing ourselves to physicians or fully independent practitioners (in the US at least).

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Is that breaking news?

I am and have been repeatedly mystified, disgusted, surprised, unsurprised, self-questioning, and astounded by the hardheaded insistence that prehospital technicians are formal medical professionals

I'm consistently stunned a vocational nurse with no transport experience considers themselves qualified to comment regarding out-of-hospital emergency care and transport. I don't feel the need to comment about long-term medication management of diabetics (although lets face it, the majority of nurses aren't qualified either, much less at the vocational level) yet you consistently tell us we're dangerous idiots. For a guy who's entire mantra is don't step out of your lane, you sure have no problem doing regarding an area where you have no formal education and little experience.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
re2unyza.jpg

Anjel

Forum Angel

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
So... My registry cert is now expired... Even though I sent everything in prior to March 31. I tried calling them, does anyone know if I'm gonna have to pay a ractivation fee?

mycrofft

I'm consistently stunned a vocational nurse with no transport experience considers themselves qualified to comment regarding out-of-hospital emergency care and transport. I don't feel the need to comment about long-term medication management of diabetics (although lets face it, the majority of nurses aren't qualified either, much less at the vocational level) yet you consistently tell us we're dangerous idiots. For a guy who's entire mantra is don't step out of your lane, you sure have no problem doing regarding an area where you have no formal education and little experience.

1. Years of prehospital EMS including lake lifesaving at altitude (7,000ft), IFT and 911 work as a basic EMT, and USAF firefighter and rescue man.

2. Registered nurse, licensed and degreed nurse (BSN) as well as retired Major in the USAF nursing corps where I planned and performed field support for unit exercises (largest was 1200 troops with five med techs working for me) as well as disaster preparedness officer, and later was our unit's mobility officer for DESERT STORM. Also managed Nebraska Air Guard's two-ambulance "fleet" (more funny than profound).

3. So I have formal training, but what I am constantly rediscovering is that my specific knowledge about particular aspects of what is being accepted in prehospital technician care is changing and I am not in the loop about that. The forum helps me re that. I am not active but it's nice to stay in touch. I do tend to be a wet blanket for these armchair conversations. For that I'm sorry and periodically try to lighten up.

4. "We are dangerous idiots" isn't exactly true. But prehospital techs (and some nurses) have a tendency, which is supposedly kept in check by protocols, to feel they have to "do something" and do it fast and noisy. Been there, wore the boots.
So only a little bit of the left end of the bell curve sound like dangerous idiots a lot of time and usually are not here very long.

The willingness to do something (anything), despite it being proscribed or ineffective , because things are going badly is the sign of poor personal control at any level of practice.
===========================
That's my mantra of late. Previous ones have been that it doesn't make sense to arm EMTs; that depending upon one's limited history of luck is dangerous if it contradicts larger-population data; and that a tech cannot know what he or she hasn't yet learned because the education is so, well, technical (versus scientific and professional educations).

(That also applies to nurses as well, as you well know!).;)

I have told the mods several times to clue me if I'm polluting the site, and I'm still waiting for the flag on that. Anyone who feels I'm hurting their enjoyment of this site is free to drop me a line and I'll consider changing something.

mycrofft

..and here comes the fire….:ph34r:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I have told the mods several times to clue me if I'm polluting the site, and I'm still waiting for the flag on that. Anyone who feels I'm hurting their enjoyment of this site is free to drop me a line and I'll consider changing something.

I won't speak for the rest of the mods, however, I find the majority of your posts to be variations on the theme, "Get off my lawn".

As far as I'm concerned, as long as you don't violate the rules, you're welcome to post here.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
So... My registry cert is now expired... Even though I sent everything in prior to March 31. I tried calling them, does anyone know if I'm gonna have to pay a ractivation fee?

Oh, it's worse than that. If they did in fact expire your cert (I'm assuming NREMT, right?), you've of course got to pay to get it back, but you also have to do a refresher (not a big deal), and then take the written and skills tests again (Urp).

I made the conscious decision to let mine go, and like a month later started kicking myself about it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Oh, it's worse than that. If they did in fact expire your cert (I'm assuming NREMT, right?), you've of course got to pay to get it back, but you also have to do a refresher (not a big deal), and then take the written and skills tests again (Urp).

I made the conscious decision to let mine go, and like a month later started kicking myself about it.

Ugh... I sent them CEs, money, my refresher cert, copies of all my cards, and it was received before March 31... I will call them tomorrow I guess

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Thoughts are with all those affected by the shooting at Ft. Hood, especially the First Responders there. Those calls are not easy to be on and I've never been to one of that magnitude.

Anjel

Forum Angel
So this new part time job I have acquired is superior to my full time job in every way... Except pay.

The equipment is better, the trucks, nice stations, no system status, and awesome education opportunities. I'm so torn as what to do. I do not think I could afford a 3 dollar an hour pay cut :-/

mycrofft

I won't speak for the rest of the mods, however, I find the majority of your posts to be variations on the theme, "Get off my lawn".

As far as I'm concerned, as long as you don't violate the rules, you're welcome to post here.

Thanks. I'll throttle it back. No need to be a big pain, just a persistent one.
Ask my wife!

mycrofft

Thoughts are with all those affected by the shooting at Ft. Hood, especially the First Responders there. Those calls are not easy to be on and I've never been to one of that magnitude.

Yes.