the 100% directionless thread

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Volunteer politics at their finest. Volunteers at a station that will not be named are evidently unwilling to get their second ambulance out because they're not allowed to have a Powercall siren on it. The company is going to have a vote to see if they authorize this type of siren for the ambulance. That's right folks. A vote and three weeks of arguing about what kind of siren programs are authorized on a small, rural fire department :facepalm:

It's a beautiful thing huh?

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Volunteer politics at their finest. Volunteers at a station that will not be named are evidently unwilling to get their second ambulance out because they're not allowed to have a Powercall siren on it. The company is going to have a vote to see if they authorize this type of siren for the ambulance. That's right folks. A vote and three weeks of arguing about what kind of siren programs are authorized on a small, rural fire department :facepalm:

Glad to see it's not just bad here... We frequently have are local boys whining about how dispatch classifies the truck. I will not classify a unit as a Brush Rescue... when they run it as an engine.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So yesterday morning my phone accidentally fell into the shower (I kept it there for the alarm, otherwise it's waaayyy too easy for me to zone out in the shower and suddenly be running late).

It seemed fine, home button sticking a little, but everything else was working, so I figured it would dry out and be fine. Up until the moment it bricked itself and refused to turn on or respond in any way. An hour into my 12 hour shift, I had a paperweight instead of a phone.

The good news was that it was an old, :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty iPhone 3GS, waaayyy overdue for an upgrade I was eligible for.

So I went to the store immediately after shift and got a brand new Samsung Galaxy S4 Active

Old ugliness to new hotness hazzah :)

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

I'd love to run the numbers on accidents in POVs and whether they improve response times...my bet is higher than official vehicles and no. Ooh, and we could calculate implicit cost of life/limb, too!

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief

What's a Powercall siren? And why do they want one so bad?

Last edited by a moderator:

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
So yesterday morning my phone accidentally fell into the shower (I kept it there for the alarm, otherwise it's waaayyy too easy for me to zone out in the shower and suddenly be running late).

It seemed fine, home button sticking a little, but everything else was working, so I figured it would dry out and be fine. Up until the moment it bricked itself and refused to turn on or respond in any way. An hour into my 12 hour shift, I had a paperweight instead of a phone.

The good news was that it was an old, :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty iPhone 3GS, waaayyy overdue for an upgrade I was eligible for.

So I went to the store immediately after shift and got a brand new Samsung Galaxy S4 Active

Old ugliness to new hotness hazzah :)
If ya ever drop ur phone in water again, immediately take it apart, dry it as best you can with towels (paper or cloth) then immerse it in a bath of DRY, UNCOOKED rice at least overnight. Works quite well. :)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QuiGiFwuxI

It's the funny sounding siren. I'd rather have a smart-siren with a scan function built into it than that pos.

Edit: Found this video in related to that one after a few clicks... Freaking tiller does at least 30+ into oncoming and almost takes out another car head on. Good thing the car didn't yield properly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOfulAyFtVU

That is stupidity right there. Imagine the lawsuit LAFD would have had if that car got hit.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If ya ever drop ur phone in water again, immediately take it apart, dry it as best you can with towels (paper or cloth) then immerse it in a bath of DRY, UNCOOKED rice at least overnight. Works quite well. :)

ygape9yr.jpg

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Every now and again something happens that restores my faith in humanity. I was called to a business today for a 60-year-old female experiencing sudden onset CVA symptoms. This patient's coworkers were astute enough to realize the sudden change, performed a Cincinnati stroke assessment and then called 911.(These are not healthcare workers) I arrived less than 10 minutes after the onset of symptoms. The patient was grossly expressively aphasic, but not displaying any other neurological deficits. I transported her rapidly to a stroke Center, where she received thrombolytics and immediate transfer to a neuro facility. The early reports were that she was regaining her speech and had a good prognosis.

While I didn't do much other than transport her and call a stroke alert, the quick, astute actions from bystanders and the rapid response from the emergency department made me have faith in EMS once again. We all worked together to do something good for this lady.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
Every now and again something happens that restores my faith in humanity. I was called to a business today for a 60-year-old female experiencing sudden onset CVA symptoms. This patient's coworkers were astute enough to realize the sudden change, performed a Cincinnati stroke assessment and then called 911.(These are not healthcare workers) I arrived less than 10 minutes after the onset of symptoms. The patient was grossly expressively aphasic, but not displaying any other neurological deficits. I transported her rapidly to a stroke Center, where she received thrombolytics and immediate transfer to a neuro facility. The early reports were that she was regaining her speech and had a good prognosis.

While I didn't do much other than transport her and call a stroke alert, the quick, astute actions from bystanders and the rapid response from the emergency department made me have faith in EMS once again. We all worked together to do something good for this lady.

These type of calls are why most of use get into and love EMS, The calls where you know you helped make a difference in some bodies life.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Except newer phones (I.e. the iPhone he had) can't be taken apart :p
Besides that, I was told that only works if you don't try to power it on or anything, which obviously you will probably try to do :huh: Makes sense, I don't know how right that guy was, though.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Besides that, I was told that only works if you don't try to power it on or anything, which obviously you will probably try to do :huh: Makes sense, I don't know how right that guy was, though.

You can actually take apart the iPhone.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

Those are the best. Last week, a friend went into labor and had a very fast delivery, on the phone with 911 and transported by my coworkers. Her husband was astonishing with what a great job he did. And her, lol.

Small town EMS is the best. She's front page news.

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
Really? Not even to, like, replace the battery or SIM card? :huh:

I have no idea what can/cannot be done to fancy-shmancy phones. I have a really cheap-o "dumbphone."
Kyocera-S2100_3.jpg
This is what my phone looks like.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QuiGiFwuxI

It's the funny sounding siren. I'd rather have a smart-siren with a scan function built into it than that pos.

Edit: Found this video in related to that one after a few clicks... Freaking tiller does at least 30+ into oncoming and almost takes out another car head on. Good thing the car didn't yield properly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOfulAyFtVU

That siren sounds like garbage.

I like the eurotone sounding one on our new units. It's an older whelen box though.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Really? Not even to, like, replace the battery or SIM card? :huh:

I have no idea what can/cannot be done to fancy-shmancy phones. I have a really cheap-o "dumbphone."
Kyocera-S2100_3.jpg
This is what my phone looks like.
Haha, nope internal battery and all that jazz.
I'm about 5 years outdated for my phone, too, but yeah the only way to take off the glass on an iPhone is to take out the sealant. If you take the sealant out, then you can't put the glass back on, unless you can find another seal (but I've never seen only a replacement rubber seal). I replaced a few different ones, a few years back, but if you take the screen off, then basically you either have to factory seal it or buy another screen that comes with a glue on the back, but still leaves the gap between the screen and chassis (which lint and pocket crumbs love... trust me).
They may have updated it in the past few years, but that's what the old iPhones/ iPods.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
That siren sounds like garbage.

I like the eurotone sounding one on our new units. It's an older whelen box though.

I agree, it does. With a rumbler, it may be a good clearer though. What do you think of this one? I would love to leave it in scan mode for the moderate to heavy non-intersection traffic--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOwEnGz9OAw