the 100% directionless thread

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sorry to hear that Anjel. :-(

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I found out how my week was going to be the very first call of the night last night...

Walk in to a bad breather, <1 word dyspneic, tripoding, retracting, breathing upwards of 40 times a minute...look at my partner, "it's gonna be that kid of week".

Nothing but interventional ALS calls all night long...nice change from the BLS bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: I've been running lately but damn that was a lot of paperwork! CPAP for the breather. Giving a 3 year old d25 after my partner wanted to BLS her with her "mysterious seeds" she at out of the garden but my spidey senses tingled because the story didn't add up. A new onset LBBB with ACS symptoms in a 89 y/o. An accidental amiodarone OD. 27 y/o projectile vomiting x6 hours vagalling himself down into the 20s including sinus pauses >10 seconds with an unobtainable BP and ALOC then coming back then doing it again, all while having a CBG of 40.

I think I used all the d50 on my ambulance and out of my bag, all the zofran, and nearly all the ECG stickers! Fun night, made me think a lot, learned a lot but damn that was a lot of paperwork haha.

chillybreeze

Forum Lieutenant
Anjel Im so sorry to hear about that! I know your family is devastated. Sending thoughts and prayers your way

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I can come play in sandbox, yes?

Too bad y'all don't get any snow or have any mountains :(

By all means! There's a spot open on my platform right now :D I know not of this snow you speak of, though...

And that results in a more competent medic how, exactly? Silly 'traditions'/'rules' such as that are one of the reasons that EMS and fire should be de-linked.

You're not even a medic the first three years. I just happened to be a medic before getting hired. Once you promote they send you to paramedic school.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
By all means! There's a spot open on my platform right now :D I know not of this snow you speak of, though...

You're not even a medic the first three years. I just happened to be a medic before getting hired. Once you promote they send you to paramedic school.

Dude, the world wouldn't be ready for us on the same apparatus. If I wasn't happy where I'm at right now I'd be all over applying in spots like yours. I'd love to work for an FD that actually has EMS as one of their priorities rather than the red-headed stepchild. Since I'm a medic does that mean I can work as one on the apparatus until an EMS spot opens? :D

You sparked my interest, expect a PM.

MrJones

Iconoclast
...You're not even a medic the first three years. I just happened to be a medic before getting hired. Once you promote they send you to paramedic school.

Is that 'promotion' based on demonstrated potential to be a competent medic or some other criteria?

And do folks become medics based on a true interest in/aptitude for the profession or is it more to get a cushy schedule, a 6-figure income and not have to eat smoke for a living?

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Anjel I'm very sorry to hear that. I really hope things get better for the kid... The only good part in there is that at least it wasn't you responding...

Epi-do

I see dead people
Oh no, Anjelica! How very tragic. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Came into work at 8 this morning. By 9:15, we had completed 2 runs, and I wrecked the truck. What a great way to start the day...NOT.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Just a little light reading. I feel like I am back in school

540141_1586220377921_1580028113_n.jpg

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Since I'm a medic does that mean I can work as one on the apparatus until an EMS spot opens? :D
Yes sir. All the apparatus are equipped with standard ALS gear. Then there are 5 stations (mine included) that are considered full-time ALS and required to be staffed by paramedics. Those stations carry everything the ambulance carries, we just don't transport.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Is that 'promotion' based on demonstrated potential to be a competent medic or some other criteria?

And do folks become medics based on a true interest in/aptitude for the profession or is it more to get a cushy schedule, a 6-figure income and not have to eat smoke for a living?
No, it's based on passing a promotional test. Last year the test was learning 4 books and a stack full of SOPs. The promotion isn't officially into EMS. The promotion is to the rank of Fire Apparatus Operator (FAO). The majority of FAOs will go to EMS, while some will remain I'm fire. They will take all volunteers first, and then voluntell people if they need more. However, for the last 2 years, every new medic has been a volunteer. The mindset in our department is changing (for the better) with the newer members.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Came into work at 8 this morning. By 9:15, we had completed 2 runs, and I wrecked the truck. What a great way to start the day...NOT.

Everyone okay?

And that's two members with bad news...we do not need a third.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Waiting for our order at Wendy's on GSR and there's two little kids who won't stop intensely eyeballing me, it's creepy!

Epi-do

I see dead people
Everyone okay?

And that's two members with bad news...we do not need a third.

Yes, everyone was fine. If the corner of the building hasn't decided to jump to the left as I was pulling into the garage, it never would have happened. Just a few dents in the chrome around the rear wheel well.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Driving three hours for a job interview tomorrow morning after getting off work at midnight... Been up for 18 hours straight and counting

SSwain

Forum Captain
Of all the places and times for this to happen.

Wisconsin EMS Association convention yesterday in Milwaukee.
The classes/courses finished up at 5:00, and the exhibit hall was opening at 5:00.
Escalator with 15-20 participants malfunctions, sending all who were on it going up, on a fast track backwards to the main lobby floor. 5:15 or so...

12 people were sent to the hospitals nearby.

You never saw so many people jump in and render assistance until the Milwaukee FD and ambulances arrived.

The confusion on the responding Medic's faces was at the time priceless... So many of the attenddes were in either uniform, or a shirt with some department logo, including those who were injured, being helped by more people in similar attire...the responding medics didn't know where to start at first.

Oddly enough, this didn't make the local news. I figure the irony of it all would warrant some coverage.

For the record, I was up a level when it happened, did not make it down in time to assist, but did hold the doors open for the arriving medics. Least I could do.