the 100% directionless thread

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Work 24 off for 72?

Do they get to sleep at all in that 24 hour period or are they running constantly?

Yes

Not much. The smart ones sleep throughout the day and are good for their 72 off. Most get an hour or two of broken sleep and use their first day as a recoupe day.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Yup. They're making way too much money to agree to give it up. Very easily 6 figures. That, and the 24/72 shifts.

!!!!

...and how does one get this gig? Other than being a medic, that is.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
!!!!

...and how does one get this gig? Other than being a medic, that is.

Beat out 4000 people for 30 spots yearly ;) And you don't have to be a medic, you're hired with the expectation of zero certs. You've got to do a minimum of three years in fire first, though.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Beat out 4000 people for 30 spots yearly ;) And you don't have to be a medic, you're hired with the expectation of zero certs. You've got to do a minimum of three years in fire first, though.

Eh...that last part isn't so much my "thing". I'm averse to burning buildings.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Eh...that last part isn't so much my "thing". I'm averse to burning buildings.

I'm not too fond of it either (anymore). If it weren't for the pay and benefits, I'd have been gone to WilCo.

Epi-do

I see dead people
For some reason, I find writing thank you notes tedious and painful. I really dislike doing it. That being said, I have gotten 3 of 5 written for the interviews I had yesterday and today. Guess I better go finish up and get the other 2 done.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not too fond of it either (anymore). If it weren't for the pay and benefits, I'd have been gone to WilCo.

Sometimes I think that full-time EMS would really "do it" for me, as far as satisfaction with a career. I just, dunno, you know? It's a question of career path and progression -- there's not as much of it as there is in other fields. Seems like FD has more of that.

For some reason, I find writing thank you notes tedious and painful. I really dislike doing it. That being said, I have gotten 3 of 5 written for the interviews I had yesterday and today. Guess I better go finish up and get the other 2 done.

I'm convinced they make no difference at all, frankly. I've been interviewing my a** off, and found that (not a valid study by any means), anecdotally, I get no better yield on jobs without thank you notes as with them.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I'm convinced they make no difference at all, frankly. I've been interviewing my a** off, and found that (not a valid study by any means), anecdotally, I get no better yield on jobs without thank you notes as with them.

I find that interesting. My experience has been quite the opposite. I have gotten a lot more offers after interviews where I have sent a thank you note. Of course, if after an interview I don't feel like the job is a good fit or someplace I want to work, I don't bother writing one. I tend to only send them after interviews where I feel things went well and it is a place that I want to work. So, that being said, it is completely possible that the note doesn't have a darn thing to do with the offer, and I would have been given one even without the note. On the flip side though, it is one more opportunity to sell myself and to get my name in front of them. It doesn't take all that long to do, and postage is cheap, so why not.

The other thing I have found is that more and more of the people I have talked with that do send a thank you note after an interview are doing it by email these days. Maybe I am just "old fashioned" or what have you, but I think that by sending a hand written note instead of an email, even if it takes a bit longer to get to it's destination, helps me to stand out a bit more as well.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I find that interesting. My experience has been quite the opposite. I have gotten a lot more offers after interviews where I have sent a thank you note. Of course, if after an interview I don't feel like the job is a good fit or someplace I want to work, I don't bother writing one. I tend to only send them after interviews where I feel things went well and it is a place that I want to work. So, that being said, it is completely possible that the note doesn't have a darn thing to do with the offer, and I would have been given one even without the note. On the flip side though, it is one more opportunity to sell myself and to get my name in front of them. It doesn't take all that long to do, and postage is cheap, so why not.

The other thing I have found is that more and more of the people I have talked with that do send a thank you note after an interview are doing it by email these days. Maybe I am just "old fashioned" or what have you, but I think that by sending a hand written note instead of an email, even if it takes a bit longer to get to it's destination, helps me to stand out a bit more as well.

An email is definitely not as meaningful as a handwritten note, surely -- it also could be an industry by industry and firm/company/service by firm/company/service thing. Heck, it could even be regional? I like the idea of writing especially to places that I felt I really gelled with. That's definitely something I could see myself doing.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Sometimes I think that full-time EMS would really "do it" for me, as far as satisfaction with a career. I just, dunno, you know? It's a question of career path and progression -- there's not as much of it as there is in other fields. Seems like FD has more of that.

I've been trying to reconcile this myself. I've been thinking of getting nvolved with policy research or education. That way I can get off the street after a while and improve the profession on a grander scale. I'm just not sure about how to go about accomplishing that.

Anjel

Forum Angel
So my cousin decided after his 11 year old was dx with Hodgkin's lymphoma last month, that he has had enough.

He hung himself tonight. In my coverage area, and was transported to my base hospital.

He was breathing on his own after medics got ROSC. Then they RSId him.

He has ARDS, decerabrate posturing, and diabetes insepitus. Gift of life has been contacted and it won't be long.

FML. His poor kid.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
That's terrible, Anjel... Thoughts and prayers go out to your family :(

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
My flatmate and his girlfriend are away for a week, hmm, what sort of trouble can I get up to with the house to myself, suggestions?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Anjel, my thoughts are with you and your family.

You've always been there in my times of need, I always have an open ear that's good for yelling into, venting, at, whatever you may need.

The internet in my new house is dumb fast...Fast where you at? I'm gonna slay you in come COD. :D

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Yup. They're making way too much money to agree to give it up. Very easily 6 figures. That, and the 24/72 shifts.

I can come play in sandbox, yes?

Too bad y'all don't get any snow or have any mountains :(