the 100% directionless thread

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Contrast dye

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
So I had a random dream where I vividly saw my untimely demise.

This is most concerning ... especially considering I am trying to get back to sleep!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Got all new proposed protocols in my volunteer region, with added meds, and of course the intubation one is still

"medication facilitated intubation."

Smh...

Why do we bother. Do it right or don't do it at all.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I could never imagine living in such a remote area.

Remote I was thinking why the heck would he live so close to the city.

I like living where no one is around.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Netflix also mails movies to you.

If its like some of the rural areas in Texas you usually have to drive in to town to get to the P.O box anyway.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Same here. I like living an hour away from the nearest McDonalds.

bigbaldguy

Same here. I like living an hour away from the nearest McDonalds.

I have anxiety attacks when driving out to the burbs. All those big lawns freak me out.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Going on a crusie for the first time. It's f.ing huge!!! >.> so exited needed a vacation

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief

You can't even count the "town" I was talking about as a big city, either. It's a retirement city, so everyone that lives there is over 60. So, most of the businesses there are golfing ranges, a dealership that sells golf carts, etc...

Anjel

Forum Angel
Well obviously you should have waited longer before sending him to the CCL, Duh.

Did he really need ICU level care? The majority of our STEMI patients come right to the floor post cath. They only go to the ICU if they got an IABP or need critical care pressors.

Non EMS question: Why would we check BUN/Creat post cardiac cath? What does Mucomyst have to do with that.

Also, what are some post cath complications?

They couldn't get his pulse ox up past 78%. He had pulmonary fibrosis and He was on BIPAP. I think they were trying to get an ICU bed for the monitoring he required.

And I am assuming you would check those labs for renal function after the body is trying to filter out the dye.

The nurses were telling me that the major complications are blood clots and internal/external bleeding. Also a possibility for stroke. They had him on a heparin and nitro drip. He also got 2g of magnesium and 25meq of potassium. I think that was the dose.

And why is mucomyst given post cath? Isn't that what they give for Tylenol OD?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
They couldn't get his pulse ox up past 78%. He had pulmonary fibrosis and He was on BIPAP. I think they were trying to get an ICU bed for the monitoring he required.

And I am assuming you would check those labs for renal function after the body is trying to filter out the dye.

The nurses were telling me that the major complications are blood clots and internal/external bleeding. Also a possibility for stroke. They had him on a heparin and nitro drip. He also got 2g of magnesium and 25meq of potassium. I think that was the dose.

And why is mucomyst given post cath? Isn't that what they give for Tylenol OD?

Then IMO the trops do not have anything to do with the equation since they are seeking ICU monitoring for respiratory distress and not MI complications. Even in that situation they would still be stuck on our floor until they got intubated which really sucks when you have 4 patients.

That is correct, you can actually get something called contrast-induced nephropathy.

Ya bleeds/clots are a major concern. Usually they will develop a hematomas at the insertion site but can have retroperitoneal bleed which can get ugly. Strokes are less common but I have seen a couple. A few other rare complications are perforation of an artery or re-occlusion of a coronary vessel.

Yes it is, but it apparently has some renal protective properties as well. As JPNIV pointed out the evidence is mixed. I still see it ordered occasionally.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjel

Forum Angel
The more I hang around in the ER, the more interested I become in nursing.

I like knowing how and why things happen. Not only just how to keep the person stable until we get to the hospital.

bigbaldguy

Going to a sports medicine doctor (one of the best in Texas supposedly) who referred me to an occupational therapist. Therapist pulls out these dinky rubber bands and I'm giggling cuz 6 months ago I was hitting the gym twice a day and throwing steel around like a gorilla in a samsonite commercial. Really you want me to stretch these rubber bands all the way out wow.

I am no longer giggling. After using them my back feels like jello. These rubber bands have become my nemesis. Rubber bands I will crush you.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I just noticed BBG = CL again.

Anjel

Forum Angel

bigbaldguy