the 100% directionless thread

Just found out my work has a "Candy" Award. It's a bag full of candy that they hand out to the medic who used the most Morphine during the year..... We had 2 medics get the award :rofl:

Probably only need to give morphine 2 or 3 times in a year to win that award in FDNY.

"We will be at the hospital in 5 minutes, its a waste of time"

Not sure what vets you guys are talking about, but the ones I know have a decent salary. My family has a lot of live stock (3 horses, a donkey, 2 cows, 6 chickens, a few pigs, ya know? The normal stuff :unsure: )
The vet we use is a really good guy, normally doesn't even charge us, but he still has a massive house sitting on 50 acres of land. My mom used to work for him as a vet tech and he paid well and made quite a bit out of his clinic.

Large animal vets (equine and bovine) are where most of the money is. People are much more willing to drop considerably more money on animals that bring money in for them than, say, Fido who needs a 3k cancer treatment plus follow-ups.

Just found out my work has a "Candy" Award. It's a bag full of candy that they hand out to the medic who used the most Morphine during the year..... We had 2 medics get the award :rofl:
So they get awarded appropriately for a job well done. :)

I believe it is meant in a humorous manner since giving a lot of narcotics of colloquially known as being a candy man.

It also is a good idea to recognize people who are doing a good job, even if all they are doing is following their guidelines. If management only ever recognizes the people who are going above and beyond it leaves everyone else disheartened. People like being reassured that they are doing a good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it is meant in a humorous manner since giving a lot of narcotics of colloquially known as being a candy man.

It also is a good idea to recognize people who are doing a good job, even if all they are doing is following their guidelines. If management only ever recognizes the people who are going above and beyond it leaves everyone else disheartened. People like being reassured that they are doing a good job.

Oops sorry I didn't realise it was meant in jest :)

I agree it is a very good idea to recognise when people do a good job.

I must say that's a bit strange, you need some sort of reward to ensure your patients are not in pain?
You're probably so blonde that you don't even know your a blonde. :D

You're probably so blonde that you don't even know your a blonde. :D

I have never heard the term "candy man" in relation to giving pain relief; sounds odd to me, like not something I would associate with it.

And no, my hair is not blonde, its red, I like my red hair so there! :)

I have never heard the term "candy man" in relation to giving pain relief; sounds odd to me, like not something I would associate with it.

And no, my hair is not blonde, its red, I like my red hair so there! :)

You probably don't have as many drug addicts and junkies around there then.

You probably don't have as many drug addicts and junkies around there then.

Not really no, mainly alcohol and tobacco, no real hard drugs tho, some methamphetamine. By definition my house mates are all serious alcoholics and they are, they drink a lot, constantly.

Ugh, I feel horrible again; my cramps have gone but now I think I have a respiratory tract infection. Ugh! :sad:

Have you ever brought a pt into the ER then wondered why they were doing what they decided to do treatment wise?

Sure she's in SVT at 170 but she's been puking x72 hours with no sort of oral intake the entire time...I feel like a fluid challenge would be I better idea than adenosine especially since the adenosine didn't work but hey I'm just a lowly paramedic...

Also, yes we only tried twice for IVs then deferred it, I could have thrown a rock through the window of your hospital from the scene...if you want me to tear up her vasculature more than the heroine has and make your job harder ill gladly do that for ya next time :rolleyes:

And to top it off the BSN said I was speaking "paramedic talk" and he didn't understand me when I said I had her attempt to vagal and it didn't work...valsalva maneuvers are paramedic talk too apparently...then I have to explain how to push the adenosine to him...what the heck?

I must say that's a bit strange, you need some sort of reward to ensure your patients are not in pain?

Unfortunately, depending on the system and/or the medic it can be like pulling teeth to get them to use narcotic analgesia, just ask NYMedic about it...

I've been called the Candy Man before. I don't pass them out to everyone but when I pull the trigger I do it big. :D

Have you ever brought a pt into the ER then wondered why they were doing what they decided to do treatment wise?

Sure she's in SVT at 170 but she's been puking x72 hours with no sort of oral intake the entire time...I feel like a fluid challenge would be I better idea than adenosine especially since the adenosine didn't work but hey I'm just a lowly paramedic...

Also, yes we only tried twice for IVs then deferred it, I could have thrown a rock through the window of your hospital from the scene...if you want me to tear up her vasculature more than the heroine has and make your job harder ill gladly do that for ya next time :rolleyes:

And to top it off the BSN said I was speaking "paramedic talk" and he didn't understand me when I said I had her attempt to vagal and it didn't work...valsalva maneuvers are paramedic talk too apparently...then I have to explain how to push the adenosine to him...what the heck?

How old?

Well that's another missed hand IV. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and it's getting really frustrating. :angry:

Well that's another missed hand IV. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and it's getting really frustrating. :angry:

I just missed a garden hose size vein in a guys AC. It was fricken massive. And it rolled away. The medic missed 2 times as well so I don't feel so bad.

34 year old female, no personal or family cardiac Hx. Never been in SVT before. I was hesitant to call it SVT...it was a very obvious sinus tach with discernible P waves but it's above 150...so SVT it is!

PM me, I've got some pointers that might help ya out. Hands were the hardest for me to learn. A few tweaks and tricks and now they are easy as pie :)

I got into a spirited discussion with the nurses at my current hospital about how a femoral central line isn't a PICC just because it's in the hip joint and not the chest.

34 year old female, no personal or family cardiac Hx. Never been in SVT before. I was hesitant to call it SVT...it was a very obvious sinus tach with discernible P waves but it's above 150...so SVT it is!

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt.

220 - age = Is the generally accepted cut off rate for SVT.

I got into a spirited discussion with the nurses at my current hospital about how a femoral central line isn't a PICC just because it's in the hip joint and not the chest.

Bet that was fun.

I have zero problem with nurses, I spend a lot of time hanging with nurses outside of work but how on earth does a BSN-RN not know what adenosine is, the dosing, or how to administer it.

Aidey, that's a new one. Never heard that, always been taught >150 is SVT and our protocol god says the same thing. Dumb argument using the P word but I had to :P

They treated it as SVT in the ER, 6 of adenosine brought her to the 130s-140s then the doc asked if I had any thoughts and I said a 1 L bolus of NS and then reassess if another liter would be appropriate and he agreed. He's an awesome doc, always includes us in treatment plans and asks our thoughts/opinions on the sicker patients we bring him if we are able to hang out for long enough.

Only real cool call of the night, everything else was pretty standard. Still have yet to see a really symptomatic SVT patient.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back