the 100% directionless thread

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Guess I never realized before that nurses love small IV's. That's not my style

In EVERY hospital I have been to, the standard IV is 20g unless there is reason to suspect need for blood transfusion or high volumes of fluid. Primarily trauma and sepsis.

seem to have a higher success rate. also seems to be that way for almost all of my coworkers. guess its just personal preference

Not sure how a bigger catheter has a higher success rate. I think you have it backwards... I don't care how good you think you are, putting a big hose into a small pipe is always going to be harder than putting a small hose into a big pipe.

So, what's the problem?

I put 20s in all my patients unless I expect they will need blood, then I will go for an 18. And in some patients the best I can do is a 22. I also never use the AC.

That's because you don't want to keep pressing the mute button on the infusion pump. :rofl:

I use a 20 or 22g on almost every patient. Bigger IVs leave a bigger whole and hurt more too... Do the least harm. Starting an IV "just in case" for someone who is pretty much stable, it isn't right to make it even more painful.

Last edited by a moderator:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
That's because you don't want to keep pressing the mute button on the infusion pump. :rofl:

Exactly.....Something ER nurses just don't understand. If only I could put a Freedom Splint on all those patients who don't understand the concept of keeping your arm straight. If they come up from the ER with an AC IV and I know I am going to hang drips then I just start a new IV. I am not going to restart the Lasix/Dobutamine/Protonix Drips every 5 mins for 12 hours.

Im getting better at sneaking 22s into dorsal hand veins on my edematous patients...

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That was painful. Get held over, down 4 charts when we finally make it back to the garage, finish charting then get kicked back out into the system with a day EMT who's partner called in sick. Luckily didn't last long and she's one of my favorite people to work with otherwise I'd have said no, clocked out and walked out the door.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Holy hell... I just realized that I have a full day off tomorrow! No homework to do, no shifts to cover. I'm off from both places. I don't know what the hell to do with my time. It's been months since I had a real day off.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Exactly.....Something ER nurses just don't understand.
Oh no we get it in the ED...it's just that we have other things to get to in the first 20 minutes of a resuscitation to spend the time hunting down smaller veins :D. If there's any acuity to it they're going to end up with a central line anyway.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Hmm USAGPAN has a 3 year CRNA/DNP program. 5 years military service doesn't sound so bad.

As a nurse? You'd be an officer. Easy street. Cakewalk. Literally the hardest part of your day would be wondering what to do with your paycheck.

Student loans? Gone.
Continued Education? Lots.
Powerpoint? Mastered.

It's not a bad gig at all.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
As a nurse? You'd be an officer. Easy street. Cakewalk. Literally the hardest part of your day would be wondering what to do with your paycheck.

Student loans? Gone.
Powerpoint? Mastered.

According to their website I would be commissioned as an LT when I started for program and get paid ~$40k a year while in school and then be promoted to Cpt unpon graduation and make ~$80K a year. Which is significantly lower than the civilian world ($150k) however I would have zero debt whereas civilian I wold have to pay $50k+ for school and be without income for two years.

Money is really not the deciding factor though, according to a few rankings the Army program is #1 in the US and is one of the best educations you can get as a nurse. The experience would be amazing.

All this is 2-3 years in the future after getting some ICU experience and depending if I can even get accepted. The admission process is very selective along with all the physical and other requirements that to along with commission.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I use Mozilla. No toolbars. And it's only on this site. Not that big of a deal. Just wondering.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Assuming they have an eye, yes. It's a different reflex arc that doesn't go through the vision centers of the brain.

Wouldn't it be, in a sense, like infants? They lack optic reflex until 9 months but have the corneal reflex at birth. Assuming being blind would lose the optic reflex

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
After last night all I can say is truck, y u no start? It is awesome to get off over an hour late due to the stupid truck not starting haha.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Wouldn't it be, in a sense, like infants? They lack optic reflex until 9 months but have the corneal reflex at birth. Assuming being blind would lose the optic reflex

Even the blind, depending on where the damage is, can still have an optic reflex. Vision, light (optic reflex, night/day cycles, etc), and touch all have related (some more than others, the corneal reflex is vastly different, but shares some of the same physical areas) pathways, but those pathways diverge at different locations.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Student loans? Gone.
Powerpoint? Mastered.

I've talked to US Army Medical Corps... It sounds like a damned good deal. If I ever get my BSN I might consider it

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Packing for a move. The time at which you realize you have way too much crap, but have no idea what to do with it all. So you end up giving or throwing away tons of stuff you need and keeping all kinds of junk that you don't. :wacko:

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
Does a person who is blind have corneal reflex?

I had a blind pet who had a corneal reflex, but no pupillary light reflex. I figured out she was blind not long after I adopted her, when trying to teach her to play fetch. She would only go after the balls that had bells in them. Then I brought her to the vet, and my vet said yup, she's blind. The animal shelter had no idea, but I was going to keep her anyways.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
http://www.methodisthealth.com/mce

I really want to attend this, but the $100 fee plus the gas for a 4 hour drive makes it tough to pull the trigger on.

I went to one of their recent cadaver labs. It was very cool and was 100 dollars very well spent. From what I understand all their educational programs are outstanding and they have some of the best cardio folks in the US so I think if this is something you're interested in you couldn't go wrong making it happen. I am curious though are you in paramedic school? The content of this particular class seems a bit advanced for a basic and it might be of more benefit to you to take it after you've had more a foundation in the subject. I certainly felt that way about the cadaver lab I took at Methodist.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Packing for a move. The time at which you realize you have way too much crap, but have no idea what to do with it all. So you end up giving or throwing away tons of stuff you need and keeping all kinds of junk that you don't. :wacko:

Just drive around when you get where you're going and check out dumpsters. There's always someone on the other end who does the same thing.