the 100% directionless thread

Finally back in NM... Back to work for 24 starting tomorrow at 0600...

Epic code last night.

Witnessed arrest, epi x1, calcium 2gms, epi x1, intubation, suction, epi x1, ROSC, v-tach, shock, v-tach, shock, v-tach, shock, amiodarone 300mg, ROSC, PEA, calcium 2gms, ROSC.

Epic code last night.

Witnessed arrest, epi x1, calcium 2gms, epi x1, intubation, suction, epi x1, ROSC, v-tach, shock, v-tach, shock, v-tach, shock, amiodarone 300mg, ROSC, PEA, calcium 2gms, ROSC.

That's a lot of Ca. What was presumed cause? Or is calcium part of your algorithm for arrest?

Known hyper K with obvious hyper K EKG changes during the periods of ROSC.

Neither do we. ALS engine on scene + our calcium.

Damn. We don't carry that much Calcium.

We carry 1g in our drug bag.

We have 2 spare drug inserts back on the truck so technically we have 3g total but its a medical control request here to give any Ca.

Side note for anyone curious, LI, NYC and NJ are having a major gasoline crisis. Lines to get gas are 5 blocks long. My folks waited 3 hours to gas up last night. Mainly stemming from 90% of gas stations not having electricity. Many fist fights, gun and knife threats have occurrd on gas lines. Near riots have also broken out.

Thankfully I had the good sense to fuel up Sunday evening. My volunteer establishment is working on getting us gas at this point.

I can't wait until Wednesday, I won't be getting any more political calls.
And maybe these guys on gold rush will figure out Newtons 1st law!

Epic code last night.

Dang! Didn't know it got that exciting there. :lol:

We carry 1g in our drug bag.

We have 2 spare drug inserts back on the truck so technically we have 3g total but its a medical control request here to give any Ca.

We carry a minimum of 2gms, but right now we actually have these huge 5gm vials because it is all we can get in stock. We can give Ca without orders in certain situations. In this case I had online orders for the second dose. I was on the phone with the MD advising them we were coming in with an ROSC pt when he coded again. I asked the doc if we could give more Ca and he said sure.

This is a comment to a few pages back talking about having pt's from WWII. I had the opportunity when I was working with the RT's in the ED to meet the sweetest lady i have ever met. After my shift one day I went to her room just to check in after she had been admitted, and we ended up chatting for a couple hours and she told me the story of how when she was a child she was in a concentration/ work camp in Poland. She explained to me how the Nazi's gassed them, and how she lost her whole family. She told me the worst part of all to her though, was she was put to work in a factory that made bombs, and she felt so guilty everyday that she was building bombs to attack the allies. It really made me think and I'm thankful I had the chance to know her.

Ugh just applied wiht a different branch of the Evil Empire here in NM... two and a half hours away. They are cutting hours at my division :(

I can't believe it is already November, just over a month left of school. After being in school full time the past 4 years it would be nice to have a break but I think I am just going to bite the bullet and either sign up for a paramedic program or take a few more sciences (Physics and organic chem)

I can't believe it is already November, just over a month left of school. After being in school full time the past 4 years it would be nice to have a break but I think I am just going to bite the bullet and either sign up for a paramedic program or take a few more sciences (Physics and organic chem)

Coming straight out of a BSN program you would, more than likely, end up pulling your own hair out in medic school from frustration, my friend.

With that said, might as well do it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming straight out of a BSN program you would, more than likely, end up pulling your own hair out in medic school from frustration, my friend.

With that said, might as well do it!

I know that is what I am worried about. I do not want to challenge the exam I want to take a program with good clinical rotations however I also don't want to retake everything. I am having a hard time finding a program that will work with me. For instance, the local CC will not credit any of the course work and expects me to pay to sit through "Medical Terminology" and "Introduction to Pharamacolgy for paramedics".

But the sooner I get it over with the sooner I can start building experience. It would be nice to have a PRN job for some extra $ but I am hoping the EMS exerperience will help with flight/CRNA

I know that is what I am worried about. I do not want to challenge the exam I want to take a program with good clinical rotations however I also don't want to retake everything. I am having a hard time finding a program that will work with me. For instance, the local CC will not credit any of the course work and expects me to pay to sit through "Medical Terminology" and "Introduction to Pharamacolgy for paramedics".

But the sooner I get it over with the sooner I can start building experience. It would be nice to have a PRN job for some extra $ but I am hoping the EMS exerperience will help with flight/CRNA

I would say the frustration would come from absolute boredom sitting in the program. Doubt you would need to study anything for more than a glance...

And it's a $10,000 expense on top of your college loans if you have any.

I would say the frustration would come from absolute boredom sitting in the program. Doubt you would need to study anything for more than a glance...

And it's a $10,000 expense on top of your college loans if you have any.

The hospital will pay for most of it so the cost really isn't an issue.

ynyse5az.jpg

367 ambulances now, 5 fuel tankers, and 10+ school buses and no end of deployment date in sight.

a8unu6yg.jpg

And by far the best vehicle I have seen so far. Everyone was getting pictures on or around it after it fueled up.

Back