the 100% directionless thread

I'm going to a cadaver lab on 25th and it says I can wear my own scrubs or they have some I can borrow when I get there. Is it worth me buying a set? I'm not crazy about wearing used scrubs but I'm not sure I want to bring home a pair I've worn to a cadaver lab either.

I am assuming they will be surgical scrubs which are annoying and never fit right. You can pick up a pair of scrubs fairly cheap. If you do wear your own scrubs they probably have aprons/smocks you can wear so you dont get your actual scrubs dirty. Also scrubs are nice to wear bumming around the house.

I love the sanitize setting on my washer, I take my scrubs off immediately when I get inside and throw them in.

I am assuming they will be surgical scrubs which are annoying and never fit right. You can pick up a pair of scrubs fairly cheap. If you do wear your own scrubs they probably have aprons/smocks you can wear so you dont get your actual scrubs dirty. Also scrubs are nice to wear bumming around the house.

I love the sanitize setting on my washer, I take my scrubs off immediately when I get inside and throw them in.

Yeah im a tall guy so I was thinking they might not have any that aren't high water approved for me. I figure this might not be the last time I'm in a hospital setting so might be worth spending the money.

Any one have any ideas on sites or material/ brands ect. Anything I should avoid?

I suck at IVs and intubation. Need more practice. Was so mad in class I felt like throwing the laryngoscope and saying "**** this ****!"

I suck at IVs and intubation. Need more practice. Was so mad in class I felt like throwing the laryngoscope and saying "**** this ****!"

I'm told it's just a practice practice practice kind of thing.

Just thought I'd let everyone know, Tigers won ! :cool:

That's what happens when the Yankees don't show up until the top of the 9th.

Any one have any ideas on sites or material/ brands ect. Anything I should avoid?

I hate Landau... They are the "Skinny jeans" of scrubs.

I mostly have Cherokee or ****ies. Generic unisex scrubs are usually the cheapest however they fit kind of weird if you have broad shoulders or are muscular. I stay away from unisex and only buy the men's brands.

Oh and get pants with pockets.....Lots of pockets.

Hospital scrubs, freshly issued, are pretty clean. they are usually cleaned by the same folks that provide the cleaned and overly starched sheets and blankets to the hospital. Bear in mind that EVERYONE looks ridiculous in issued scrubs. You won't be alone. No offense, but this applies ESPECIALLY to ladies, as hospital scrubs are about as unisex as one can get.

Oh, and scrubs come in two sizes. too big and too small.

BTW - when it comes time to do OR clinical time (and perhaps time on other units too, like L&D) you will probably be required to wear hospital scrubs, at least in OR's.

Just make sure you make the fold in the surgical hat. Because that's what all the cool folks do.

I hate Landau... They are the "Skinny jeans" of scrubs.

I mostly have Cherokee or ****ies. Generic unisex scrubs are usually the cheapest however they fit kind of weird if you have broad shoulders or are muscular. I stay away from unisex and only buy the men's brands.

Oh and get pants with pockets.....Lots of pockets.

Most of my stuff is generic. It was cheap, and I use them more as pajamas now than as anything else.

Problem with having lots of pockets is that your "belt" is a really long shoelace sown into the waistband. That's my biggest pet peeve of scrubs - I'm used to having a heavy duty belt that keeps my pants (mostly) up. I've had near wardrobe malfunctions in OR's because that drawstring came untied. Only reason I didn't have an embare-assing moment was because they weren't laden with crap.

Oh, and another scrub comment. Traditional hospital scrubs have 2 pockets in the top and two in the bottom. Pockets are set up as one on each side. That way, not only are the garments unisex, but they are never inside-out. This is why you'll sometimes see nurses rocking Weird Al-level fanny packs.

Bear in mind that EVERYONE looks ridiculous in issued scrubs. You won't be alone.

Just make sure you make the fold in the surgical hat. Because that's what all the cool folks do.

False, I look amazing in surgical scrubs. :cool:

Also Shoe covers are your best friend. Not sure if you have facial hair but I would just shave for clinical. Beard covers are extremely annoying

Most of my stuff is generic. It was cheap, and I use them more as pajamas now than as anything else.

Problem with having lots of pockets is that your "belt" is a really long shoelace sown into the waistband. That's my biggest pet peeve of scrubs - I'm used to having a heavy duty belt that keeps my pants (mostly) up. I've had near wardrobe malfunctions in OR's because that drawstring came untied. Only reason I didn't have an embare-assing moment was because they weren't laden with crap.

Oh, and another scrub comment. Traditional hospital scrubs have 2 pockets in the top and two in the bottom. Pockets are set up as one on each side. That way, not only are the garments unisex, but they are never inside-out. This is why you'll sometimes see nurses rocking Weird Al-level fanny packs.

Lab coats! For those of us who feel more secure caring around a lot of stuff.

Problem with having lots of pockets is that your "belt" is a really long shoelace sown into the waistband. That's my biggest pet peeve of scrubs - I'm used to having a heavy duty belt that keeps my pants (mostly) up. I've had near wardrobe malfunctions in OR's because that drawstring came untied.

Some of my scrub pants have belt loops and I have worn a small nylon riggers belt before. It was helpful but not really worth it. It was nice in the ER when my pockets were loaded with IVs, flushes, thoracotomy kits, etc but on the floors each room has its own supply cart so I dont have as much in my pockets anymore.

That's what happens when the Yankees don't show up until the top of the 9th.

not only that but one of their best player rolled his ankle the other night! :unsure:

Lab coats! For those of us who feel more secure caring around a lot of stuff.

Except that lab coats are routinely found to be the most disgusting things in a hospital. Even more disgusting than the cafeteria floor... and the cafeteria food, too!

Except that lab coats are routinely found to be the most disgusting things in a hospital. Even more disgusting than the cafeteria floor... and the cafeteria food, too!

Thats because people are too lazy to launder them not because they are innately dirtier than normal loose fitting clothes...

We had nine calls today... all vented, all on drips... I don't know what i did to the EMS gods... but they can keep it up :) I had a blast at work today

Over the last two weeks I've worked 30 hours each week on top of being a full time student, welcome to the real world I guess.

I saw my first VAD in the wild.

It was in the supermarket and the dude was about 5'5" and nearly that in diameter. He was wearing a too-think t-shirt that the outline of the device and its connections were easy to see and he had the battery harness slung over both shoulders.

It was almost as cool as going on Space Mountain the first time :rofl:

I forgot that this was here!
ypyby3yr.jpg

Back