the 100% directionless thread

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyone getting guild wars2?

Launches tnite 3am EST. 12 pacific.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Do you get paid for sick time?

We do but we get paid our hourly, no OT so We lose 4 hours of OT pay for every sick.

I vote mental health day as long as it isn't a money issue.

I love ETO, I have 150 hours. I plan on saving them until I'm a nurse and taking a nice vacation.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm in your boat right now as well. I am trying to make sure that I take the prerequisite courses for PA or Nursing programs. Current plan is to take a few years off school and get a job as a ski patroller for a bit. Maybe try and swing some rural EMS as well, but I'm like you. I love EMS, but I am not working BLS forever and it seems a bit silly to go to medic school immediately after getting a four year degree.

What've you taken as far as PA or RN (NP?) prereqs? It seems like they're broader and less standardized than MD/DO prereqs, far as I can see.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Do you get paid for sick time?

We do but we get paid our hourly, no OT so We lose 4 hours of OT pay for every sick.

I vote mental health day as long as it isn't a money issue.

Our contract states that there is no affect on our OT if we used paid time off. They did that after it was pointed out that it used to cost us $100 per shift to take vacation time. Since we were loosing money on vacation days, it applies to any of our paid time off. Everything else, I will get a check for.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
Nice, congrats. Why do you have to wait so long? Just keep studying and you'll be alright.

They only hold the exams every two months, the deadline for the September one was a couple weeks back, and the November one is likely full. (So I've heard, that will be confirmed once they process my application.) That just leaves January. :unsure:

I'll plan out some studying on a regular basis, and use the time to pick up some other certs: H2S, First Aid & BLS Instructor, TDG, WHIMIS, etc...;) Plus I'll spend a good chunk of time learning on EMTLife, of course! :D

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I love StL, I lived there twice. First time in Tower Grove, second time in Soulard. I did radio there, not EMS, but if there was ever a great EMS career opportunity there, I'd move back in a second. I have great memories from there.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I love StL, I lived there twice. First time in Tower Grove, second time in Soulard. I did radio there, not EMS, but if there was ever a great EMS career opportunity there, I'd move back in a second. I have great memories from there.

I love Soulard. If I get a job at Barnes I might look into getting a loft down there. I used to live right by tower grove. EMS in the city isn't very good right now but the county medic/FF have it made.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
BLS Training:

XFNVq.gif

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ooh the good thing about knowing people is it makes recerts much easier, quicker, and cheaper.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Ooh the good thing about knowing people is it makes recerts much easier, quicker, and cheaper.

But does that make it right?

Recerts do exist for a reason. Granted the material is usually laughable.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
But does that make it right?

Recerts do exist for a reason. Granted the material is usually laughable.

Well I've been having to teach the new material for a while now and technically we did cover everything that was required for the recert so I don't see any problems with it.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Ladies and gentlemen please observe the fasten seatbelt sign

You know how flight attendants are always nagging you about keeping your set belt on in case of "unexpected turbulence"? It doesn't get more unexpected than his. Code 4 clear air turbulence at cruise. Tossed us around like toys.

And one of me in the ER after bouncing off the ceiling, wall, floor and ceiling again.

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I would've :censored::censored::censored::censored: myself!

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Can't WAIT to tell all the new freshmen pre-meds who don't seem to understand that medicine involves patient care and bodily fluids about my last few calls.

bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Guilty as charged!

BBG: Anything exciting? Maybe a subdural hematoma or an open pneumothorax? They don't just put anyone in those fancy gowns ya know!

Oh, wait. Maybe they do. ;)

:p

Right arm is numb and lots of neck shoulder and arm pain but x rays were negative. Doc says if I still have numbness in a few days to get an MRI.