the 100% directionless thread

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
As per epocrates, "combo may increase lithium levels to toxicity"

The part that irks me is the PA provided me nothing. He didn't even know the patient was Rx lithium on Monday. Did he not do an assessment whatsoever?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Senior year = career crisis. I can't be the only one freaking out, here. This is terrifying :(

Also, every career path I can think of has problems. Serious ones.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Senior year = career crisis. I can't be the only one freaking out, here. This is terrifying :(

Also, every career path I can think of has problems. Serious ones.

High school senior?

Can't go wrong with nursing, or the dreaded med school if you are up to it...

Nursing you can work anywhere in the country and it's only 4 years good pay.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
High school senior?

Ohhhh noessssssss you can't recommend nursing! This is an EMS forum :deadhorse:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Ohhhh noessssssss you can't recommend nursing! This is an EMS forum :deadhorse:

Quite honestly I don't recommend the EMS path to anyone...

(please don't hurt me)

Only time I actually tell someone to get into EMS is when they ask me how they can become a firefighter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There's places where you can be a career medic and live comfortably while supporting a family. The trick is finding one then getting hired on!

There are a few out there that I've been very very tempted to apply to...I just don't really want to know what kind of wrath would rain down on me after them spending all the money to put me through an academy and FTO period.

Hopefully there will be some spots left after a couple years of experience. I'm definitely in one of the better systems for new medics to gain experience in.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
High school senior?

Appreciate it, but college senior (AB, economics). I suppose I could do a post-bac year for med school, as I only have the bio and math prerequisites done (still would need chem, physics, and English). Frankly, I don't think I have the compassion/level of tolerance for patients necessary for nursing ;)

I don't think I would want to be FT/career EMS, but I can't shake the bug, so I think volley and/or part-time EMS would be wonderful. One day, maybe, if I go about it the right way, it'd be a great learning experience to get a P-card.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I need to move to a different city I feel like I live in Mogadishu. There is a murder, robbery, or assault literally everyday around my school. Last week some kid walked up to a girl talking on the phone in her car and shot her in the face just to steal her cellphone. Seriously what is wrong with people. And that wasnt even in a bad part of town. Conceal and carry? I think so.

That being said, I am putting together my application for an ER residency at our level 1 trauma center / teaching hospital. I shadowed there a few times and their patient volume and variety is amazing. It would be a great place to learn.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I need to move to a different city I feel like I live in Mogadishu...That being said, I am putting together my application for an ER residency at our level 1 trauma center / teaching hospital. I shadowed there a few times and their patient volume and variety is amazing. It would be a great place to learn.

Sounds like Baltimore?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Saint Louis, MO

Ahh, makes sense as well. I hear StL is pretty rough. Great medicine though, right? Always did have a high opinion of WUSTL and the hospitals in StL.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
So I bought my truck for $1k below blue book value because the AC didn't blow cold and it only had one key. Fixed both of those for less than 100 dollars. I win

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Ahh, makes sense as well. I hear StL is pretty rough. Great medicine though, right? Always did have a high opinion of WUSTL and the hospitals in StL.

Ya WUSTL is a great med school and Barnes-Jewish hospital is ranked like #6. Our children's hospital is pretty high up there too. I love doing clinicals at BJH, you get to see a lot of things you don't normally see at other hospitals.

Idk if you know the saint Louis area but my school is located on the Wash U / BJH campus with the college of pharmacy and a few other places.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Ya WUSTL is a great med school and Barnes-Jewish hospital is ranked like #6. Our children's hospital is pretty high up there too. I love doing clinicals at BJH, you get to see a lot of things you don't normally see at other hospitals.

Idk if you know the saint Louis area but my school is located on the Wash U / BJH campus with the college of pharmacy and a few other places.

Haven't been, but done a looooot of looking at programs at WUSTL though. Would like to take a trip out to StL at some point to see WUSTL.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
Got marks finalized for my EMR course today, 97.6%. :cool:

Now it seems like I may not be able to take the registration exam until January, as the November one is probably full. :wacko: <_< That means that somehow I have to keep my skills and knowledge fresh and current for 5 months! Any suggestions? (Unfortunately getting a job in EMS pre-test isn't really an option.)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Got marks finalized for my EMR course today, 97.6%. :cool:

Now it seems like I may not be able to take the registration exam until January, as the November one is probably full. :wacko: <_< That means that somehow I have to keep my skills and knowledge fresh and current for 5 months! Any suggestions? (Unfortunately getting a job in EMS pre-test isn't really an option.)

Nice, congrats. Why do you have to wait so long? Just keep studying and you'll be alright.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Appreciate it, but college senior (AB, economics). I suppose I could do a post-bac year for med school, as I only have the bio and math prerequisites done (still would need chem, physics, and English). Frankly, I don't think I have the compassion/level of tolerance for patients necessary for nursing ;)

I don't think I would want to be FT/career EMS, but I can't shake the bug, so I think volley and/or part-time EMS would be wonderful. One day, maybe, if I go about it the right way, it'd be a great learning experience to get a P-card.

I'm in your boat right now as well. I am trying to make sure that I take the prerequisite courses for PA or Nursing programs. Current plan is to take a few years off school and get a job as a ski patroller for a bit. Maybe try and swing some rural EMS as well, but I'm like you. I love EMS, but I am not working BLS forever and it seems a bit silly to go to medic school immediately after getting a four year degree.

Epi-do

I see dead people
So, do I call in sick to work tomorrow? I have 2 1/2 days of sick time I am not going to get paid for if I don't use it. I most likely only have 3 or 4 shifts left to work. I could call it a mental health day. Heaven knows, we have been under enough stress lately to easily justify it.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
So, do I call in sick to work tomorrow? I have 2 1/2 days of sick time I am not going to get paid for if I don't use it. I most likely only have 3 or 4 shifts left to work. I could call it a mental health day. Heaven knows, we have been under enough stress lately to easily justify it.

What are they gonna do? Fire you?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Do you get paid for sick time?

We do but we get paid our hourly, no OT so We lose 4 hours of OT pay for every sick.

I vote mental health day as long as it isn't a money issue.