the 100% directionless thread

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
new protocol......basics cannot transport any patient with a pump, including insulin or PCA regardless of whether or not it is related to the chief complaint.

succesfully getting closer to basics being ambulance drivers

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
new protocol......basics cannot transport any patient with a pump, including insulin or PCA regardless of whether or not it is related to the chief complaint.

succesfully getting closer to basics being ambulance drivers

I thought that was a standard? What if the pump malfunctions loads the pt up with insulin and is now ALOC and unable to fix it. With the PCA, we can't because it's a narc.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
I thought that was a standard? What if the pump malfunctions loads the pt up with insulin and is now ALOC and unable to fix it. With the PCA, we can't because it's a narc.

before the new protocol, we would pull over and trade places. PCA was good to go cause its patient controlled.

IMO a stubbed toe, cough, etc etc does not need a paramedic just cause they have an insulin pump

Anjel

Forum Angel
Michigan doesn't have a set protocol saying what basics can or cannot take. So its up to the county or medical director.

If it came down to it, we could take anything on a pump or hanging.

But if ALS is available it gets handed over to them. If not we load and go.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm only 22.

It's fine, we can talk like young adults and not have to be all proper like when we talk to these old folks :p

We need to start a young peoples' alliance or something so we stop being "misunderstood." :rofl:

Actually though, I do think that the younger providers issue is worth discussing. It can get tough at work being constantly treated as a "kid." Yea, I am twenty and have less life experience than others but that says nothing about my ability as a provider. I cannot stand being coddled by older partners. "No sweetie, don't worry about driving, I've been doing it forever."

I guess I need to do a better job advocating for myself.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Ok, enough you little brats, you're making me feel old. :p:p:p

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We need to start a young peoples' alliance or something so we stop being "misunderstood." :rofl:

Actually though, I do think that the younger providers issue is worth discussing. It can get tough at work being constantly treated as a "kid." Yea, I am twenty and have less life experience than others but that says nothing about my ability as a provider. I cannot stand being coddled by older partners. "No sweetie, don't worry about driving, I've been doing it forever."

I guess I need to do a better job advocating for myself.

I get it from some medics but most treat me just like any other partner. I've busted my *** to prove to all of them that I'm not some random snot-nosed 22 year old.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm 24 and I still get that crap! Granted, I still look 18 apparently :glare: New partners always start out the same. First, they treat me like an inexperienced twelve year old that needs hand holding. Then we make our patient, and I point out some obvious oversight in the acuity of our patient. "Oh, you know this medical stuff, huh?" Then I get treated like an outcast for knowing "medical stuff". Damn fire medics... :glare:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Ok, enough you little brats, you're making me feel old. :p:p:p

I'm 28. I actually used the phrase "that snot nosed, arrogant (rest of the adjectives and nouns are not forum suitable)" today. It's not eff'ing fair I tell ya :sad:

So far I'm 0 for 2 on finding single people.....

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm 24 and I still get that crap! Granted, I still look 18 apparently :glare: New partners always start out the same. First, they treat me like an inexperienced twelve year old that needs hand holding. Then we make our patient, and I point out some obvious oversight in the acuity of our patient. "Oh, you know this medical stuff, huh?" Then I get treated like an outcast for knowing "medical stuff". Damn fire medics... :glare:

Couldn't have summed it up any better. I work hard to show that I'm not a 20 year old wannabe doctor and then suddenly I'm getting funny looks for wanting to call an entry note to the hospital or use an icepack.

One day I will have a real partner!!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Aidey

I'm 28. I actually used the phrase "that snot nosed, arrogant (rest of the adjectives and nouns are not forum suitable)" today. It's not eff'ing fair I tell ya :sad:

So far I'm 0 for 2 on finding single people.....

26, and I swear I'm going to use that now. I'm also curious if 1. You were serious and 2. What was the circumstance under which you found yourself using said phrase.

I also want to add that it is incredibly depressing when you realize that you are your friend's token single buddy.

And I know I'm not that much older than you kids, but the way you are carrying on makes me feel old. Although Rob, I have to admit that I laughed when I saw that your name on your shirt is Robby.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
26, and I swear I'm going to use that now. I'm also curious if 1. You were serious and 2. What was the circumstance under which you found yourself using said phrase.

I also want to add that it is incredibly depressing when you realize that you are your friend's token single buddy.

And I know I'm not that much older than you kids, but the way you are carrying on makes me feel old. Although Rob, I have to admit that I laughed when I saw that your name on your shirt is Robby.

It says Robby but I tend to introduce myself as Rob to patients. Still go by Robby around friends and coworkers and I don't think it will ever change. My new shirts only have my first initial though ;)

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Unfortunately I was. It was after an official interaction with another paramedic in my role with the clinical department. I can't really go into more detail than that in public.

I realized the other day I'm hosed because I was married fairly young. Most divorcees are 5-10 years older than me, most girls my age are married/attached (hence the 0 for 2) and most younger girls aren't particularly interested in a guy with a 60+ hour a week job and two kids.

Aidey

I'm still undecided on kids, and it scares me that the older I get the only guys available all seem to have a kid or two, which usually means ex-wives/girlfriends to deal with. It just adds several levels of complexity to the situation right off the bat, which I find intimidating. I absolutely suck at dating, and anything that makes it more complicated freaks me out.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'm still undecided on kids, and it scares me that the older I get the only guys available all seem to have a kid or two, which usually means ex-wives/girlfriends to deal with. It just adds several levels of complexity to the situation right off the bat, which I find intimidating. I absolutely suck at dating, and anything that makes it more complicated freaks me out.

I'm available, have no kids, and have no ex-wifes/girlfriends to deal with haha.

Aidey

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston