the 100% directionless thread

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
1:1 HR to beat?

Contact med control or just transport with pads on his torso and a raised fist ready to pound?

Yessir, 1:1.

178/90 and steadily dropped to 114/100 by the time we were pulling in. A&O the whole time, only complaint was that "knot" in his throat and real minor SOB.

No med control, we can do a pretty decent amount without contacting OLMD. He got the pads, an IV, and amio drip and a quick jaunt to the ER. Amio didn't work though and he ended up getting some electricity in the ED.

According to my preceptor I had an awesome look on my face when we got him on the monitor. One of those "Well that can't be right..." type of looks. Kinda like this -> :unsure:

Kicker is he had an AICD and had it disabled because "It kept shocking me all the time!'

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
According to my preceptor I had an awesome look on my face when we got him on the monitor. One of those "Well that can't be right..." type of looks. Kinda like this -> :unsure:

I had that face once before, when I was a new medic with a new partner, and I didn't notice he put the 12-lead on backwards when he handed me the printout. I quickly saw his error and fixed it though :p

Sounds like a fun call, though. I've had a few patients go in to 'stable' vtach (I hate saying stable, it really isn't) during transport and it really does add a whole new pucker factor to the run...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I had that face once before, when I was a new medic with a new partner, and I didn't notice he put the 12-lead on backwards when he handed me the printout. I quickly saw his error and fixed it though :p

Sounds like a fun call, though. I've had a few patients go in to 'stable' vtach (I hate saying stable, it really isn't) during transport and it really does add a whole new pucker factor to the run...

I've never actually seen VT with pulses so it was a first for me. I didn't believe it at first, it looked like a rhythm from a rhythm generator on the monitor. Almost "too perfect" if that makes any sense? A couple other medics at the hospital said he was the "most stable" VT patient they had ever seen.

Definitely a pucker factor.

I guess I did ok-ish though...only comment from my preceptor was be quicker to pull the trigger on putting him on the monitor with all the red flags.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Red flags? A lump in his throat?

Man, tough preceptor :rofl:

Well he had an extensive history too. A-Fib, CVA x3 AMI x5 with no stents, no allergies but his meds were amiodarone, diltiazem, lisinopril and simvastatin :lol:

The key question I missed about the lump in the throat was "has this ever happened before?" "What happened when it did happen before?". My preceptor asked them for me and his answer was "They had to use 400 Joules to make my heart calm down."

That's about the time I was like hmm I want him on the monitor right meow!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Well he had an extensive history too. A-Fib, CVA x3 AMI x5 with no stents, no allergies but his meds were amiodarone, diltiazem, lisinopril and simvastatin :lol:

The key question I missed about the lump in the throat was "has this ever happened before?" "What happened when it did happen before?". My preceptor asked them for me and his answer was "They had to use 400 Joules to make my heart calm down."

That's about the time I was like hmm I want him on the monitor right meow!

Meow that's good thinking!

ATrain

Forum Crew Member
I've really been trying to eat better, but it's hard as hell when there's a local pizza place here that appreciates me so much they're constantly bringing me free pizza to work...

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I've really been trying to eat better, but it's hard as hell when there's a local pizza place here that appreciates me so much they're constantly bringing me free pizza to work...

We did a transport from my area down to my old working area in san diego last night. We were hungry after the call, so we drove 15 more minutes past where we were to get my favorite pizza... Yummy, bronx pizza in hillcrest ;)

bigbaldguy

Did you know not getting meat on a slice of pizza can shave 300+ calories per slice?
Check out this book. It tells you how to slightly modify what you already eat to make it healthier. It really changed the way I look at food, especially in restaurants.

http://www.amazon.com/This-Thousands-Simple-Swaps-Pounds/dp/1594868549

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Who ran 0 calls in a normally busy BLS shift? This guy!

bigbaldguy

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Who ran 0 calls in a normally busy BLS shift? This guy!

We were pretty steady today. Not busy but not slow. 8 calls in 12 hours. Tomorrow is a "power car" shift. We're the designated transfer car but also run 911 calls. Once we transport 8 patients the shift is over or 12 hours. Whichever comes first. Usually takes about 6-7 hours ;) and we start at noon. Can't complain about that one. It's a nice change in schedule from my 7 days a week starting at 0630 give or take half an hour.

ATrain

Forum Crew Member
We were pretty steady today. Not busy but not slow. 8 calls in 12 hours. Tomorrow is a "power car" shift. We're the designated transfer car but also run 911 calls. Once we transport 8 patients the shift is over or 12 hours. Whichever comes first. Usually takes about 6-7 hours ;) and we start at noon. Can't complain about that one. It's a nice change in schedule from my 7 days a week starting at 0630 give or take half an hour.

Do you still get paid for the 12 if you finish in 6 hours?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Do you still get paid for the 12 if you finish in 6 hours?

Thats the whole point of a high performance shift. No one would work them if they didn't. I won't work one period.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
The new executive director of my agency is wanting to switch to power cars. Not quite sold on it yet, because although you CAN get out early, you don't know the exact time you'll get out, so you can't really plan anything, especially since you can still get out AFTER the 12 hour "maximum".

Currently we have HUT shifts for OT, which are High Utility Trucks. Work 8 hours, get paid for 12.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
We did a transport from my area down to my old working area in san diego last night. We were hungry after the call, so we drove 15 more minutes past where we were to get my favorite pizza... Yummy, bronx pizza in hillcrest ;)

Best pizza on the west coast, hands down.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Define west coast. Boston's North End Pizza Bakery in Oahu beats anything I had in the mainland.

Sasha

Forum Chief
The new executive director of my agency is wanting to switch to power cars. Not quite sold on it yet, because although you CAN get out early, you don't know the exact time you'll get out, so you can't really plan anything, especially since you can still get out AFTER the 12 hour "maximum".

Currently we have HUT shifts for OT, which are High Utility Trucks. Work 8 hours, get paid for 12.

Here the dispatcher screws you so you'll get your last call right at end of shift. It's a trick. They run you like crazy with the possibility of getting off early then make it where you can't.

Oooor send you on a long distance and count it as one.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Define west coast. Boston's North End Pizza Bakery in Oahu beats anything I had in the mainland.

Hawaii isn't part of the contiguous 48 states, so that doesn't count, in my mind.