Suspension vs. Voluntary Surrender

stressed1234

Forum Ride Along
Hi all, I am currently in a tough position with my state's EMS board. Long story short, I started an IV on my medic partner in a training environment. I was considering an AEMT class and my partner offered to let me try out an IV on them to get the hang of it before class. My partner is a certified lab instructor for our paramedic class, so we didn't see an issue with it. That sort of thing happens all the time at my workplace. However, management found out about it and now I am under investigation with the state. They gave me the option of going through the process (attorneys, court, etc. Could range from a warning letter to a 1-year suspension + $2,000 fine), or voluntary surrendering my license for the state. I had plans to move to another state very soon anyways; however, I am worried about which will look worse in a database long-term. I was accepted to a medical school and will start in a few months so I am worried that this could affect future job prospects as well.

I am looking into attorneys currently but was hoping to get some advice from others who might have gone through this process, or know someone who did. Is one option better than the other? Does it seem like it's worth fighting the investigation to hopefully get the warning letter, or are voluntary surrenders not that bad? Thank you all very much!!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
What state are you in? I’m very surprised that the state EMS office gave you the option to surrender your certification without presenting you the investigation results.

in my area, cases like this are usually a suspension, at worst. You started an IV on your paramedic partner, at his invitation. Seems pretty simple, “I screwed up, it won’t happen again, I’m planning to go to medic school...”

But, since this seems to be much bigger, is there more to this than you’re telling us? Did you stick him at a party where there was alcohol? Post the video on social media? Brag about it at work?

If you’re moving to a new state, when you apply for reciprocity, the state will have to send a verification letter of your standing to your new state. Any action against your certification will usually close the door on reciprocity.

OP
OP
S

stressed1234

Forum Ride Along
What state are you in? I’m very surprised that the state EMS office gave you the option to surrender your certification without presenting you the investigation results.

in my area, cases like this are usually a suspension, at worst. You started an IV on your paramedic partner, at his invitation. Seems pretty simple, “I screwed up, it won’t happen again, I’m planning to go to medic school...”

But, since this seems to be much bigger, is there more to this than you’re telling us? Did you stick him at a party where there was alcohol? Post the video on social media? Brag about it at work?

If you’re moving to a new state, when you apply for reciprocity, the state will have to send a verification letter of your standing to your new state. Any action against your certification will usually close the door on reciprocity.
Thanks for your response! I'm in New York. There was a facebook post regarding the incident, which is how it got the attention of management. Besides that, there's nothing else really to the situation! My partner and I are both surprised about how much it blew up. Hopefully, if we go through the investigation, it will just be a warning letter or something. Thanks for your thoughts, though!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
To be perfectly honest, I am not seeing it as such a big deal. were you on a 911 call? no, it was a training environment. Think of it this way... if john doe (aka random person off the street) had done what you did to your partner, with there consent, would there have been an issue? doubtful.

What is the charge? acting outside of your scope of practice? I mean, sure, and you really can't deny you did it, but especially since everyone consented, it's not like you were randomly starting IVs on everyone because you were bored, and it was for an educational purpose, I'm thinking losing your license means the punishment won't fit the crime.

If I was in your position (and I am not, so you need to make your own decision), I would fight this, including paying for an attorney. You aren't going to win (you committed the crime, and it's on social media), but I don't see how this is that big of a deal. surrender your license? that's an extreme response. Take a slap on the hand, say you won't do it again. I wouldn't use the reason of "well, everyone else does it all the time, so why is this an issue" in your defense, but if you voluntarily surrender your license, you won't be getting reciprocity. I can pretty much guarantee that. If I'm not mistaken, doctors need to go through background checks before they are licensed, and this can affect your ability to become licensed at the practitioner level.

I'd go through the investigative process, and I'd look for a new job, one where your agency handles minor issues like this in house vs opening n investigation with the state. Based on what you describe, this sounds like a massive overreaction to a relatively minor issue, once that could be resolved with a warning and a promise not to do it again.

oh, and next time, don't take pictures of you starting IVs for social media, unless you get your agency's written approval.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
There is much more to this, otherwise it wouldn’t be such a severe situation...
Yeah, I’m curious about this. I’m honestly surprised the state even cares enough to investigate this. There’s something odd here.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am currently in a tough position with my state's EMS board.

I started an IV on my partner.

I (or someone) posted on Facebook and management saw it. (For the record, they will ALWAYS see it).

I am under investigation with the state.

The above I cropped from your original post is ALL that matters. All the other details are irrelevant and should not be mentioned. When you do share all that extra crap, it sounds likes blame shifting and unwillingness to accept responsibility for one's own actions. Is that something you want to be representative of you, especially one going to medical school.

"They gave me the option of going through the process (attorneys, court, etc. Could range from a warning letter to a 1-year suspension + $2,000 fine), or voluntary surrendering my license for the state. I had plans to move to another state very soon anyways; however, I am worried about which will look worse in a database long-term. I was accepted to a medical school and will start in a few months so I am worried that this could affect future job prospects as well."

So the investigation is still ongoing, yet they are offering you a "settlement"??? As others have stated, this sounds very suspect, as in suspect of YOU not providing all the details and circumstances. Were you fired from work? Were you suspended from work? Because there is no mention of what happened to your JOB, only the state and your license. Do NOT surrender your license under any circumstance in this situation. MAKE THEM do ALL the work, MAKE THEM spend all THEIR money, time, etc trying to bring the case against you. Frankly, they sound quite lazy trying to intimidate you into a quick case closed situation. Make them go through the entire process, then when you have an outcome, then you can challenge or fight it. Odds are, you do not even need an attorney right now (Which I advise against if you have the financial means), but I myself would meander through the process solo for a bit until there was more action. Saying "I was gonna move soon anyways" is again not accepting responsibility, so I advise not mentioning that in any official capacity.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
100% hire an occupational and professional licensing attorney. Stop talking to anyone about the situation but your attorney.

You're going to be a doctor one day. This is the last hurdle you need in medical school and in your future career.

Good luck!

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Probably not my place, but I feel like that this should be locked?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Probably not my place, but I feel like that this should be locked?
For what reason? The thread is still on topic and doesn't violate our rules.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Oh ok.