Sunglasses on duty

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
This is kind of a silly topic so I posted it in the lounge. Has anyone noticed most Emergency responders (EMS included) wear sports type glasses (like styles popular with Oakley for example) Most of the time these are wrap around sunglasses with mirrored lenses of some type. I am curious what poses people to choose this particular design of sunglasses for on duty? Is it a crime or unprofessional in some peoples eyes to wear something else, like a ray ban wayfarer for example? Pretty stupid topic, but I noticed %99 of our staff on duty do this, and the regular population does not.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
They're durable, replacement lenses and parts are available, pretty cheap at US standard issue and most important, they're tacti-cool. I'll admit, I wear Oakley Flak Jackets and I love 'em. My wife wears half jackets. I've been wearing Oakley sunglasses for years.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I only own two pairs of sunglasses: my nice running ones (wrap around, polarized, light-weight, stay in place), and my cheap throw downs. I find the sport-type more comfortable than any other frames, so that's what I wear at work also. I'll see guys wearing the aviator sunglasses on duty as well, but wire-frames glasses tend to be very uncomfortable for me.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Polarized black Radars. I'll tell ya, once you wear Polarized and get used to it, you'll never want to go back.

FltMedicRob

Forum Crew Member
I have a pair of Oakley Strait Jackets that I wear.

They are ballistic rated and honestly they are the best prescription lenses I have ever owned.

That and UsStandardissue.com giving half off for military and veterans helps out a lot too.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
50% of Smith stuff with out work pro-deal, so I've got a few pairs. Current ones look more like giant wayfarers than anything else, I love em.

I can't help but laugh when we show up with fire and PD for a combative patient and everyone takes off their sweet designer "respect ma authoritae" sunglasses and puts them in a pile by the door.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have a pair of Oakley Strait Jackets that I wear.

They are ballistic rated and honestly they are the best prescription lenses I have ever owned.

That and UsStandardissue.com giving half off for military and veterans helps out a lot too.

And the discount applying to ems and fire helps seal the deal for a lot of us.
I wear Oakley Radar or Flak Jacket polarized sunglasses on shift during the day. And Oakley M Frames with clear ballistic lenses at night, which are also my shooting glasses

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
50% of Smith stuff with out work pro-deal, so I've got a few pairs. Current ones look more like giant wayfarers than anything else, I love em.

I can't help but laugh when we show up with fire and PD for a combative patient and everyone takes off their sweet designer "respect ma authoritae" sunglasses and puts them in a pile by the door.

I've been looking at Smith lately, too. Have you had any issues with them? Oakley's seem to scratch too easily.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I just lost my Oakley Gascans :( those were badass.

I've had Raybans that were awesome as well both Rx and normal sunglasses. They walked away too...with Rx lenses :rolleyes:

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I like my Under Armor core sunglasses, polarized with blue lenses. They are super comfortable, look damn cool, and reduce glare as well as shielding my eyes as well as any sunglasses that I ever wore.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Oakley Fuel Cells are my choice. The majority of EMS, Fire, and LEO seem to wear Oakley here. They are tough, reliable, and we get discounts. I just wear them while driving post to post or anything non patient care related. As soon as we have a call they stay inside the ambulance. It's a pet peeve of mine when I see providers with sunglasses talking to patients.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We actually have an SOP that outlines no sunglasses during a patent contact. I'm guilty of wearing them when taking to a patient outside, though.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We actually have an SOP that outlines no sunglasses during a patent contact. I'm guilty of wearing them when taking to a patient outside, though.

Working wrecks outdoors are about the only time I do wear them during patient contact, or major traumas outside.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I've been looking at Smith lately, too. Have you had any issues with them? Oakley's seem to scratch too easily.

Love 'em, don't see myself going back to Oakley really. I'm not sure how much more scratch resistant the lower end ones are than Oakleys but my sup has some with coated glass lenses and they're bomber. I'm impressed with their products and warranty all around, picked up a ski helmet and goggles by them this year too and they blow Oakleys out of the water.

As for sunglasses on scene, I'll try and get them off but if it's sunny outside they're staying on so I can concentrate. Half the time the patient is wearing theirs too

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I want a pair of Oakley safety glasses because face shields just aren't Bro enough.

Or go totally overkill and rock some of these bad boys. They would actually probably work pretty well and not fog up like face shields and disposables do.
oakley-tactical-si-m-frame-helo-gasket-for-ballistic-20-and-30-2.jpg

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I try to take my sunglasses off whenever I talk to a patient but if it's super bright outside and I'm looking into the sun they're staying on. Doesn't help anyone if you can't actually see your patient.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
I wore Oakley before EMS and the usstandardissue discount helped to continue that trend.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I have Oakley Gascans. I like them, they're comfortable, and if the circumstance arises, I can be just like Officer Brian Taylor when I ask my partner, "Follow me into the house, dude".

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have Oakley Gascans. I like them, they're comfortable, and if the circumstance arises, I can be just like Officer Brian Taylor when I ask my partner, "Follow me into the house, dude".

Bahaha.

Agreed on the comfort. I'm so mad I lost those this weekend.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I used to wear Oakley M-Frames on duty. I had 2 frames, one had the gray polarized lens, the other had the clear lens. I wore the clear lens on every patient contact. It was simple, comfortable, and easy BSI for the eyes.