Replacing my shears with the benchmade rescue cutter?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The only trauma patients I have ever has issues with so far have been our motorcycle racers. With everyday street cloths standard sheers work perfect for me. This is another time where having a decent number of people on scene help.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
http://www.claussco.com/product/80911.80915.90110.0.0/18053/_/7''_Ti_Snip

I get them for nine bucks. I've had two pairs in the last five years and they do a fine job, way better than the cheapies in the supply closet. I've had the current pair for two years without losing them. I avoid giving them to others, put reflective tape on the handle, and use the crap shears when cutting through extra nasty stuff. But at nine bucks, even if they did cut through narstieness, it would not be the end of the world.

CWATT

Forum Lieutenant
I'm on my third pair of Raptors, so I can't say I'm a big fan.

First pair I bought from Amazon and one of the triangle buttons wasn't pressed in properly from the factory, so they were sent back.

Second pair (replacements) had so much play in the blades that if you didn't have someone pull fabric tight, it would go sideways in the sheers and jam them up. They struggled to cut through a gum-boot and the nurse in the ED with her $5 sheers did a better job. I would have tightened them but the play was result of the little nut wiggling around in the arm and not a lack of tightness.

Third pair I haven't used on anything notable, so no complaints of praise yet. At this point, I keep them for the O2 bottle opener. Most of the plastic openers are all worn out, so I've probably used that aspect of the tool more than anything.

I should say, I bought them after hearing about another medic who cut through Kevlar motorcycle gear.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
Kevlar is bullet-proof and abrasion resistant, not scissor (or stab) proof. If you are mainly using them as a glorified oxygen wrench, the Leatherman Z-Rex is inexpensive, compact, and durable.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
bullet-proof
that doesn't exist.. bullet resistant* is proper terms most versions of kevlar are also "stab preventative" meaning they make the knife slide instead of penetrate

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm on my third pair of Raptors, so I can't say I'm a big fan.

First pair I bought from Amazon and one of the triangle buttons wasn't pressed in properly from the factory, so they were sent back.

Second pair (replacements) had so much play in the blades that if you didn't have someone pull fabric tight, it would go sideways in the sheers and jam them up. They struggled to cut through a gum-boot and the nurse in the ED with her $5 sheers did a better job. I would have tightened them but the play was result of the little nut wiggling around in the arm and not a lack of tightness.

Third pair I haven't used on anything notable, so no complaints of praise yet. At this point, I keep them for the O2 bottle opener. Most of the plastic openers are all worn out, so I've probably used that aspect of the tool more than anything.

I should say, I bought them after hearing about another medic who cut through Kevlar motorcycle gear.

That's interesting to hear. I've had mine for the better part of 4 years with no issues. First pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I sold my raptors on here. I bought into the hype and bought a pair, but I found them too clunky to carry and they don't fit in the shears pocket on my pants. I now have a pair of xShears for the cutting stuff and I carry a Gerber Hinderer for Knife/O2 wrench type operations.

We carry a big rescue hook/seatbelt cutter in our first in bag. It never sees the light of day except during the bag check. Same with that "Hand-E" thing we carry.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
If you are using them as a glorified oxygen wrench, why not just spend the $4 on a steel oxygen wrench? http://www.mtrsuperstore.com/products/small-oxygen-cylinder-wrench?variant=835614937

If that one is too expensive, this one is $3 http://www.liveactionsafety.com/small-oxygen-cylinder-wrench-steel/

Because I find it troublesome to cut things with a blunt steel O2 wrench if I have the desire to :)

Also the Z-Rex secures perfectly into the strapped pocket on the cargo pockets of my pants.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I love my raptor, and I also love my cheap titanium shears I got on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
When I am on the ambo I use the same shears I've been using since I was a tech in Los Angeles for more than just the sentimental value. If it ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it.

The only items I have found worth investing in thus far are a good flashlight (did night shift for many years), and a good stethoscope.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
The only items I have found worth investing in thus far are a good flashlight (did night shift for many years), and a good stethoscope.
I have more flashlights than I know what to do with, and to be honest, I've lost more flashlights over the years than I care to admit. If i'm working night shift, I am expecting my employer will provide me a decent flashlight, or rather, assign two to my truck.

I do have a cheapie flashlight that hangs from my radio strap, just for when you need a little more light. and I typically have a cheap tacticale LED light in one of my pockets.

But I do say if you are going to invest in something, go with a decent pair of boots. your feet will thank you for it

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I love my raptor, and I also love my cheap titanium shears I got on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
I use the "titanium" shears. 9 bucks from a garden store. One of the captains has an obsession with sharpening things and suffice to say they cut ok.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
That's interesting to hear. I've had mine for the better part of 4 years with no issues. First pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have two pairs. Work like a charm!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk