Replacing my shears with the benchmade rescue cutter?

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
So, I came across this product a while back that I'm considering buying. It can cut through pretty much anything like a hot knife through butter very quickly. Its much smaller and lighter than trauma shears, easier to clean, and is probably autoclavable. Do you think I should get it to go along with, or even replace my shears?

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
The issue is it will cut like crap unless you have someone holding traction on whatever you're cutting.

Get a Leatherman Raptor, or better quality trauma shears.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't find it that useful compared to shears, you have to hold more "traction" for them to be effective and there are times when you just can't hold onto what you're cutting.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I love my big shears and have had other medics, RN's and Docs comment on them. Most notable cut I've had with them is through a sari with lots of bundled layers in one very crumpled car. Actually had another medic from my station stop and say "these shears are friggin awesome!" They're a little bulky on my belt and I was skeptical when I first got them (gift from my wife) but I'm convinced. Have never needed to hold traction with them either.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
I suppose that may be true. However, most folks hold traction on the cutting material when using scissors as well.

I have used these before, They have there place, like boots, window air bags AFTER DEPLOYMENT, and seat belts, but more than that.. not very good on clothing because it is hard to keep enough traction, the material tends to bind up along the blade.

Angel

Paramedic
i have both raptor shears and a rescue cutter. ive only used the cutter once, the raptor works a lot better and has more tools, the o2 wrench and a seat belt ring cutter ect.
you can also get half off at the leatherman website.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
i have both raptor shears and a rescue cutter. ive only used the cutter once, the raptor works a lot better and has more tools, the o2 wrench and a seat belt ring cutter ect.
you can also get half off at the leatherman website.

It seems the airport staff in the african country I just left decided to help themselves to a few of my possessions for christmas- including my freely acquired raptor shears lol. I can't find the discount on the leatherman website can you send link please?

Angel

Paramedic
The orange is pretty awesome.
You have to make an account then sign up to be a pro member. To do that you have to email them a copy of your cert then you get a balance of I think 350.00 where everything is half off (it's already half off but I think the limit abuse you can only buy up to 350 at a discount rate. I believe you can just sign up again for an increased allotment).
Hope that's not confusing

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
The orange is pretty awesome.
You have to make an account then sign up to be a pro member. To do that you have to email them a copy of your cert then you get a balance of I think 350.00 where everything is half off (it's already half off but I think the limit abuse you can only buy up to 350 at a discount rate. I believe you can just sign up again for an increased allotment).
Hope that's not confusing

awesome thanks

Backblast

Forum Crew Member
I've got a Hook 7 and love it! I got it about a year and a half ago, and haven't carried shears since. I'm having a custom leather pouch made for mine.

OP
OP
redundantbassist

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
I've got a Hook 7 and love it! I got it about a year and a half ago, and haven't carried shears since. I'm having a custom leather pouch made for mine.
How long does the hook stay sharp for? What sharpening device do you use for maintenance?