Replacing my shears with the benchmade rescue cutter?

justlearning1

Forum Ride Along
I realize I am only a student, but regarding the Raptor shears, how is everyone dealing with the cleaning/sterilization of equipment issue?

I realize I am only a student, but regarding the Raptor shears, how is everyone dealing with the cleaning/sterilization of equipment issue?
My coworker and I both utilize Vionex wipes to clean/sanitize our shears.

OP
OP
redundantbassist

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Someone got called "Ricky Rescue" for having an Orange Raptor. :p

Does he wear a belt like this?
WHACKER BELT.jpg

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Get a Leatherman Raptor, or better quality trauma shears.
Concur. I have two different sized Benchmades (great for cutting flexicuffs) but primarily rely on trauma shears. Shears don't need sharpening, are cheap to replace, and much more versatile. These hook knives don't cut Kling/Kerlix, wraps, etc. very well.

zzyzx

Forum Captain
Wow, three pages on trauma shears. When it comes to auto tools, I'm Mr Gadget, so understand the impulse, but really? $50 for shears? The free ones work just fine. And how long will it be until you lose them on a trauma call when someone asks to borrow them?

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Wow, three pages on trauma shears. When it comes to auto tools, I'm Mr Gadget, so understand the impulse, but really? $50 for shears? The free ones work just fine. And how long will it be until you lose them on a trauma call when someone asks to borrow them?
Spoil sport. Lol

Reactions: drl

MkVity

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

But they're Orange :D

Angel

Paramedic
. And how long will it be until you lose them on a trauma call when someone asks to borrow them?

Psh! No! everyone has their own already, I'll do my own cutting with my shears. I stow the bloody ones on the back of the gurney till I can clean them, or where the back boards slide in

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Why haven't you used them? And what do you use now?
I used them the one time and didn't find them any easier to use. As soon as the cloths start to bunch up they stop working. You would have to get the bunched up cloths laid out flat and then cut again. Plus they added on the extra weight to the sheers.

I bought them when I was in my Ricky rescue phase right after I finished EMT school. Also the pair I got don't have the O2 wrench or window punch, it's just the blades.

I have been just using the cheap pair the our company provides without issue. I recently got certified to work at our 2 racetracks so I had to by the raptors. Normal sheers will cut the leathers ok but really struggle any place there is padding and/or double stitching. The raptors cut them like butter.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Meh. If it makes getting my trauma patients exposed less of an annoyance then it's worth it. Replaceable razors that look like box cutters, so if they don't cut, I'll be surprised. Call me a "Ricky rescue" if you want.