Question on parking the ambulance

socalemt1990

Forum Ride Along
I'm curious other EMTs takes on "Backing in" the ambulance to parking spots while waiting for a call. I always see 911 services backed in while IFT companies always just pull in facing a wall or an obstacle requiring them to reverse before leaving. In my opinion it looks unproffesional to park like this if posting for a call but my ift partners refuse to back in... and actually seem to get "upset" that I insist backing in parking space. What is your view on this? Should only 911 units do this?

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I typically back in, but I back in all my vehicles just out of habit. It really makes no difference. If your excuse is that it lets you respond faster, please don't vocalize that. Saving 5 seconds from not having to back out will make absolutely zero difference. And why would it matter what a 911 unit did versus an IFT company?

I can't fathom how pulling straight in could be seen as unprofessional... :unsure: That's ridiculous.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I can't fathom how pulling straight in could be seen as unprofessional... :unsure: That's ridiculous.

Because it's unprofessional to leave your backside hanging out. Or something like that.

OP
OP
S

socalemt1990

Forum Ride Along
Ive always viewed it as a "not fully ready to respond"... same as when we roll up on scene and the gurney is not made or all the equipment is out of the jump bag and needs to be put in before we leave the rig

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I always back into parking spots no matter what I'm driving. It's a habit. It's a lot easier and safer to pull out of a parking spot over backing out.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
There are very few non-negotiables I have in EMS. Parking isn't one of them. Not to trivialize the topic, but who cares?

Working 911 my partners would sometimes back into spots to minimize the tasks we had to do while looking for the location, responding to the radio, and messing with the MDT. It saved time not having to have a spotter get out. Working IFT calls does a few seconds really matter?

Definitely not worth the argument.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I prefer to back in and agree it looks better. Personally, it's on the "not worth my time to argue about" list. Double parking, parking in fire lanes for convenience (911 or IFT) and having a dirty ambulance are bigger fish to fry in my opinion.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I will add this, if you are backing into spots when pull through spots are available, you are setting yourself up for an incident. This mostly applies to larger parking lots. The more you back up, the higher the chance of hitting something.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I always back into parking spots no matter what I'm driving. It's a habit. It's a lot easier and safer to pull out of a parking spot over backing out.

This.

Plus it's way easier to back into spots with my truck than it is to pull forward into them.

As far as double parking or fire lines, I know JP disagrees with me but I do it. More convenient for me plus I'm not getting *****ed at for long chute times. Also, have you ever tried to pull a type 3 out of a single parking space and turn one way or the other with cars parked in the spots directly next to you? It's virtually impossible without getting one of em with your rear bumper.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
We will take up 2 spots, but it is in the larger parking lots, not some mom & pop store. Even if we park in the back of the lot, people seem to like to park near us. We've parked with no other cars around, run into a grocery store to get lunch, and come back and had cars parked on either side, with 6'' to open the doors. It is really annoying.

JPINFV

Gadfly
As far as double parking or fire lines, I know JP disagrees with me but I do it. More convenient for me plus I'm not getting *****ed at for long chute times. Also, have you ever tried to pull a type 3 out of a single parking space and turn one way or the other with cars parked in the spots directly next to you? It's virtually impossible without getting one of em with your rear bumper.

I prefer driving type 3s and never had that problem.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I prefer to back in and agree it looks better. Personally, it's on the "not worth my time to argue about" list. Double parking, parking in fire lanes for convenience (911 or IFT) and having a dirty ambulance are bigger fish to fry in my opinion.

What if company policy wants you to double park? :unsure:

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Burn seconds when you can spare them, not when you just got dispatched to the baby on fire. Back it in (or pull through) by habit.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Tactical parking isnt to increase response times. Its to avoid accidents. When you back into a parking spot, people arent going to try and sneak past you. if you have to back out, people will because they dont want to wait

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I tried to always park defensively when I worked in Boston. If I was parallel parked somewhere I would sometimes take two spots so no one could park me in if we were going to be away from the truck for lunch or whatnot. Such practices were encouraged (right or wrong) since making the million point turn to get out when you have 6 inches off each bumper is a scratched bumper waiting to happen.

At stores I try to find a pull through space, and with the length of the ambulance, that usually meant taking two spaces as well.

Backing into a parking spot in a less full lot is a lot easier than backing out from a lot that is suddenly full. Never had an issue with partners not doing it, and that continues here. Plus the local Wal-Mart has an emergency vehicle parking area too!

JPINFV

Gadfly
I tried to always park defensively when I worked in Boston. If I was parallel parked somewhere I would sometimes take two spots so no one could park me in if we were going to be away from the truck for lunch or whatnot. Such practices were encouraged (right or wrong) since making the million point turn to get out when you have 6 inches off each bumper is a scratched bumper waiting to happen.

Emphasis added. When everyone drives/parks like an a-hole, driving/parking like an a-hole is pretty much required. I'm happy I was never a short walk from the T the two years I lived there.

Backing into a parking spot in a less full lot is a lot easier than backing out from a lot that is suddenly full.
This. You know what traffic is around you and all you have to do is line up the outside of the tire with the inside of the parking line in a mirror.

NBfire841

Forum Probie
I always back in. I find it easier to get into and out of parking spots, and it is also easier to back into driveways and pull out forward than vise versa, because people will try to sneak behind you while backing out onto the road. Our truck always faces the exit on scene. Easier to drive forward out if there if you're being shot at, which has happened at my private service.