Princess Cruises?

SSparamedic2014

Forum Ride Along
morning clinic runs from 830-11:00 on sea days and 8:00am - 1000am- on port days. afternoon clinics from 1630-1830 regardless of port/sea day. every other day you will have the red bag/responder for 24 hours. every ship is different on scheduling. some medics are on 24 and off 24. some will have the next morning clinic off if you were busy the night before. it all depends on your ship.

OP
OP
J

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
Still waiting on that, should be getting it shortly. I thought about even bringing my xbox but figured that may be to much to bring. Figured handful of shorts and jeans, enough shirts to last 2 weeks and that's it. I didn't know about 24 on 24 off, I thought it was working all 7 days a week at 8 hour shifts. Doin a kelly shift would be right up my alley though.

You wouldn't be the first person to bring a 30+ inch tv and their xbox. Cruise Medic can weigh in one what he's brought (or tried to bring) on the ship :p

However, a lot of ships have xboxs in the rec room, I just bring a controller and the games I want. They buy them when the ships hit the US because they are much cheaper state side.

Decepticon Medic

Forum Probie
What about cell phones, I have a iPhone 5 with AT&T. I see there's an Internet cafe with wifi, I imagine it'd be cheaper to connect to the ships wifi and use Skype or tango when calling home or what is the best method?

OP
OP
J

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
What about cell phones, I have a iPhone 5 with AT&T. I see there's an Internet cafe with wifi, I imagine it'd be cheaper to connect to the ships wifi and use Skype or tango when calling home or what is the best method?

This comes up a lot, ships have satellite phones. They suck. 3 second delay when you talk no matter cell or landline. If you're hitting a lot of American ports, you'll be fine. There's also SIM cards that have a plans for international calls. Skype through the internet on the ship or in wifi spots at ports of call.

Decepticon Medic

Forum Probie
Cool, thanks brother. I already envision a gathering of us Ship Medics at a bar crawl...the horror....and lawyer fees. It'd be a night that'd be....wait for it....

Legendary

CruiseMedic

Forum Probie
Hahaha

Hahaha! Yes, JaysonSD definitely knows what I've tried to bring on board! I've upgraded to 42" by the way mounted on my cabin wall :cool: For the rest of you, you'll figure out what works best for you on these contracts. Personally, I have to have my TV, my bose sound system, and my MacBook. Everything else is fluff. (I even arranged for my road bike to get on the ship) But that's me. Just keep in mind weight limits going to your contract and then planning for coming home. I put all my "heavy" objects in a duffle bag as a carry on so I don't come close to the weight limit on checked baggage. Leave extra room for all the uniforms you will be issued!

Ciao

Emtp2010stl

Forum Probie
Cool, thanks brother. I already envision a gathering of us Ship Medics at a bar crawl...the horror....and lawyer fees. It'd be a night that'd be....wait for it....

Legendary

Did you get your iteniary? ?

Excited to hear what you have found out.

I have pushed back a couple weeks in order to train someone at the job I am leaving. However just sent in all of my paperwork.

Emtp2010stl

Forum Probie
morning clinic runs from 830-11:00 on sea days and 8:00am - 1000am- on port days. afternoon clinics from 1630-1830 regardless of port/sea day. every other day you will have the red bag/responder for 24 hours. every ship is different on scheduling. some medics are on 24 and off 24. some will have the next morning clinic off if you were busy the night before. it all depends on your ship.

Thanks for the info I am finding all the posts helpful.

SSparamedic2014 , cruisemedic, jaysond-----
what iteniary are you guys on right now??

Decepticon Medic

Forum Probie
I do have my itinerary. I fly out January 17 to Houston and training is for a week in Galveston. I imagine the contract will be somewhere in the Caribbean because that was in the subject line for my training schedule. Where exactly I'll find out when I get aboard the ship. Can't wait!

Decepticon Medic

Forum Probie
Not sure if you've ever worked at Abbott, if you ever have and have heard of Tiger Woods. That'd be me. I have a reputation in Stl. Not a bad one I hope

OP
OP
J

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
I do have my itinerary. I fly out January 17 to Houston and training is for a week in Galveston. I imagine the contract will be somewhere in the Caribbean because that was in the subject line for my training schedule. Where exactly I'll find out when I get aboard the ship. Can't wait!

If they gave you a ship assignment, just jump on princess and search for that ship.

Decepticon Medic

Forum Probie
Don't have one. The subject line was Caribbean cruise and it's outta Galveston I imagine, I won't find out until I get to Houston in a few weeks. I'll hop online and check it out though. Thanks brother

CruiseMedic

Forum Probie
…...

Don't have one. The subject line was Caribbean cruise and it's outta Galveston I imagine, I won't find out until I get to Houston in a few weeks. I'll hop online and check it out though. Thanks brother

Your training ship does not necessarily mean you will stay on that ship/route. Sometimes 1 or 2 will stay with that ship, but they mostly train a group on one ship for a week and then fly you out to your ship assignment. When you sign your contract it will say the first ship you join that contract, training or not. For example, you'll be assigned the Ruby Princess and all of your incoming info/forms will have Ruby Princess, but that will be your week training and you might be transshipped to the Golden Princess for the remainder of your contract. Just shoot fleet personnel an email to see if they have your permanent contract placement so you can pack for the weather.

Also, I'm on the Hawaiian route at the moment, then headed back to the European route (which I love!)

Ciao

Decepticon Medic

Forum Probie
Good lookin out, thank you for that. I'd love to be on the European route! I don't have any fleet contacts just yet but I'm sure I'll find out when I get to Houston. I'm gettin antsy, especially with this terrential downpour of snow in stl. 7 inches and counting. Get me outta here!

September

Forum Probie
This job sounds amazing. I've always wanted to travel the world. I've got a long way to go to qualify though (not even finished EMT yet)...someday!

Emtp2010stl

Forum Probie
Blog......

I am looking for suggestions as to where I would be able to start a blog. I know that it has been mentioned a few times on here and I am hoping to get one started... So where would you think? Make a FB page? use Tumblr? any thoughts??

Thanks