Princess Cruises?

Canadian

Forum Crew Member
Canadians Being Accepted?

Hi all,

I am from Canada (B.C.). Does anyone know if they are accepting/have accepted any Canadian paramedics? I have a very strong feeling that almost 100% of the medics are American...

Thank you!

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hi all,

I am from Canada (B.C.). Does anyone know if they are accepting/have accepted any Canadian paramedics? I have a very strong feeling that almost 100% of the medics are American...

Thank you!

It is extremely difficult (impossible) for a Canadian to get a work visa in the USA as a paramedic. To do you you need another way in ( student visa, ties for a green card, etc)

I have not heard of any Canadian companies doing cruise work .

Decepticon Medic

Forum Probie
We have a majority of medics that are American but they are starting to branch out more. I worked with a UK medic when I first started. Depends on where they are recruiting from though.

ShipMedic

Forum Probie
It is extremely difficult (impossible) for a Canadian to get a work visa in the USA as a paramedic. To do you you need another way in ( student visa, ties for a green card, etc)

I have not heard of any Canadian companies doing cruise work .

He won't need a work visa, just a C-1/D visa because he's not actually working in the US. As far as I know, there are no Canadian paramedics (there are Canadian nurses) but they've hired a South African paramedic and at least one British paramedic, so I would think it's possible. The retention rate is pretty low right now.

Decepticon Medic

Forum Probie
Retention is low because there's a ton of crap going on with scheduling. No one is happy about it but the issue is no medic wants to complain about it to the people that matter so it doesn't get fixed or prioritized as an issue that needs to be resolved. They are changing the format and testing it out. It's getting good results and mixed results but at least they are doing something about it. Use the job for what it's worth, to travel, see the world, get paid, and when you're done then move on. I've been to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Cabo san Lucas, la Paz, Loreto, Ensenada, puerto Vallarta, Catalina island, Hawaii, Guam, Osaka, Taiwan, Shanghai, Nagasaki, and soon to be Europe.

ShipMedic

Forum Probie
Retention is low because there's a ton of crap going on with scheduling. No one is happy about it but the issue is no medic wants to complain about it to the people that matter so it doesn't get fixed or prioritized as an issue that needs to be resolved. They are changing the format and testing it out. It's getting good results and mixed results but at least they are doing something about it. Use the job for what it's worth, to travel, see the world, get paid, and when you're done then move on. I've been to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Cabo san Lucas, la Paz, Loreto, Ensenada, puerto Vallarta, Catalina island, Hawaii, Guam, Osaka, Taiwan, Shanghai, Nagasaki, and soon to be Europe.

Things could be a lot better with just a few changes. Unfortunately I don't know how interested they are in improving things and/or continuing the program. It is a good way to travel the world but it's frustrating when you see how much better it could be and that a few changes such as benefits and cabins could dramatically improve retention.

jacob6493

Forum Ride Along
Accessory certifications to bolster resume?

Anyone with experience know if extra certs are looked at as essentially requirements or are greatly valued? I'm talking beyond HCP/Instructor certs i.e. CCEMT-P or FP-C certifications. Thanks much!

Decepticon Medic

Forum Probie
Having your CC EMT-P doesn't hurt. One just got hired from Stl not long ago. National Registry, experience in high call volume areas and passing all 3 interviews certainly helps.

Canadian

Forum Crew Member
Hi all,

Hoping that once I have my PCP (Primary Care Paramedic) (Canadian), that I could work on ships, with of course the minimum three years experience + volunteer first aid experience.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Hi all,

Hoping that once I have my PCP (Primary Care Paramedic) (Canadian), that I could work on ships, with of course the minimum three years experience + volunteer first aid experience.

They're pretty specific on their website about wanting NREMT-Ps but didn't someone say they hired a UK medic earlier in the thread? They're degreed providers though, not sure what they would say about a PCP from Canada since it's about equivalent to AEMT/EMT-I level as far as scope of practice but there's more education so I'm not sure.

Only way to know is ask :)

Emtp2010stl

Forum Probie
been awhile....

Well I just finished my first contract. So far pretty happy with how things went. I wanted to chime in and comment on some of the most recent questionson here.

They have hired medics from the UK in the recent months however the medics are still primarily from the US.

There is a challenge with finding the scope of practice being concurrent with what the program was built with.

I have ccemtp however it was not brought up but one time through the hiring process.

Hope this helps. :)

Canadian

Forum Crew Member
Well I just finished my first contract. So far pretty happy with how things went. I wanted to chime in and comment on some of the most recent questionson here.

They have hired medics from the UK in the recent months however the medics are still primarily from the US.

There is a challenge with finding the scope of practice being concurrent with what the program was built with.

I have ccemtp however it was not brought up but one time through the hiring process.

Hope this helps. :)

Hey there! I was wondering if you could describe the work atmosphere and the call volume? On an "average" day, how many patients are you seeing? When you see someone is the doctor/other cruise staff, breathing down your neck? And most importantly, any Canadians?? :)

Thanks!

Emtp2010stl

Forum Probie
Hey there! I was wondering if you could describe the work atmosphere and the call volume? On an "average" day, how many patients are you seeing? When you see someone is the doctor/other cruise staff, breathing down your neck? And most importantly, any Canadians?? :)

Thanks!

As far as the work atmosphere its pretty much exactly how this blog has described. All 30 pages lol. Its not what we all know as life on the truck. Its more of a hospital setting.

The call volume.... well that may not be a fair question for me to answer. Lol I brought my black cloud with me from home the first few months... I am sure a couple of people I worked with on here will agree. It just depend on the ship passengers.

The team is the most important thing. The medical team is smaller so it is important that there is a good group. I had some amazing people over yhe past 4 months. So I had no "breathing down your neck"

Sorry to say. No canadians at this point. Only US and UK that I am aware of....

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
International newbie

Hi everyone,

I follow the remote medic blogs quite a bit and getting interested in some international work (and the daunting task of where to begin).

I'm highly interested in international medicine, too. My question is what have you found to be the best medic blogs for this topic? I've done a Google search, but I end up with a lot of garbage sites. Recommendations?

Cheers,
EM.

Mellowdnb

Forum Probie
From what I have been reading, this sounds like an amazing and once in a lifetime experience!

I would be grateful if someone could take the time and answer some questions.

1. Do Paramedics have the opportunity to train staff on CPR and basic first aid? I love teaching and I would like to still have the opportunity to do so.

2. What type of continuing education is provided? Does the medical team train on a constant basis? What training materials are provided (CPR and airway dummies,etc)

3. I'm not looking for interview questions and answers. I would like to know the best way to prepare for all phases of the interview process.

4. I'm a type 1 diabetic. I use insulin and my BS are under control. Is this a disqualifier? Someone said a dental exam is given?

Medic4Dawgs

Forum Probie
Hey Mellow-

I ended up choosing not to go with PCL when I interviewed and was offered a position because of the extremely low pay and the role of a Medic in their system. Additionally, I was hired for an Offshore company and am working as an offshore Medic with a great rotation schedule (5 weeks on and 5 weeks off). PCL feels that they can offer an extremely low pay because they're providing you room and board while working, well so does everyone else in the business of Offshore medicine. Here's my answers to some of your questions and comparison to Offshore in other positions:
1. Paramedics don't do much training for PCL as far as I know. However, in Offshore and Remote positions we train all the time.
2. CE will be consistent with mantaining your licensure or certification (could be very tricky with PCL because you're gone for four months and doesn't sound like they have a great system set up for CEs). CE in Offshore usually varies quite a bit with my company we travel to England for CE as well as ACLS/BLS re-cert. In addition to that, we're strongly encouraged to mantain active service with our home services to keep current on skills, etc as our job role is very much like an Urgent Care PA.
3. Be prepared to answer questions in the mindframe of being the lowest on the totem pole while working. You'll have nurses and doctors over you all the time and will never be on a vessel without such. However, Offshore and Remote you are the medical professional and your medical director is offline most of the time. When we call in from Offshore, we're seen as colleagues and fellow clinicians not as underlings. Some Medics do great with the setup that PCL has others don't. When you do your Skype interview, wear a suit and tie.
4. Here's the truly challenging area for you personally. Type 1 Diabetes is generally very hard to get passed through for a Norwegian Medical Directorate (usually PCL and all the other cruise ships are Norwegian flag which means everyone that is crew aboard has to pass a Norwegian Medical). Do some research on this and thoroughly be prepared for this to disqualify you for any offshore positions. Dental is generally considered through the process of issuing an NMD or Norwegian Medical Directorate (certification). To help you with this here's a link to the Norwegian Directorate guidelines (pg. 25 is where you'll find Diabetes Type 1 discussed).

I would recommend looking at this very seriously. I've known people that worked for PCL and they hated their time there. When you're in port, you're not necessarily going out and enjoying port, you're helping get ready for the next leg of the journey. Will it maybe give you a better chance at true Offshore Medicine, maybe but so does seeking out rural departments with extensive transport times and obvious times of having to make decisions as a healthcare professional yourself without sacrificing time away for very little pay relatively speaking. Good luck and hope things work out for you.

TacMedic

Forum Probie
Anyone have insight as to whether or not Princess is still actively hiring paramedics as medical officers. I've had no luck in getting my foot into the front door thru an application process. A bit frustrating.

TacMedic

Forum Probie
Hey Mellow-

I ended up choosing not to go with PCL when I interviewed and was offered a position because of the extremely low pay and the role of a Medic in their system. Additionally, I was hired for an Offshore company and am working as an offshore Medic with a great rotation schedule (5 weeks on and 5 weeks off). PCL feels that they can offer an extremely low pay because they're providing you room and board while working, well so does everyone else in the business of Offshore medicine. Here's my answers to some of your questions and comparison to Offshore in other positions:
1. Paramedics don't do much training for PCL as far as I know. However, in Offshore and Remote positions we train all the time.
2. CE will be consistent with mantaining your licensure or certification (could be very tricky with PCL because you're gone for four months and doesn't sound like they have a great system set up for CEs). CE in Offshore usually varies quite a bit with my company we travel to England for CE as well as ACLS/BLS re-cert. In addition to that, we're strongly encouraged to mantain active service with our home services to keep current on skills, etc as our job role is very much like an Urgent Care PA.
3. Be prepared to answer questions in the mindframe of being the lowest on the totem pole while working. You'll have nurses and doctors over you all the time and will never be on a vessel without such. However, Offshore and Remote you are the medical professional and your medical director is offline most of the time. When we call in from Offshore, we're seen as colleagues and fellow clinicians not as underlings. Some Medics do great with the setup that PCL has others don't. When you do your Skype interview, wear a suit and tie.
4. Here's the truly challenging area for you personally. Type 1 Diabetes is generally very hard to get passed through for a Norwegian Medical Directorate (usually PCL and all the other cruise ships are Norwegian flag which means everyone that is crew aboard has to pass a Norwegian Medical). Do some research on this and thoroughly be prepared for this to disqualify you for any offshore positions. Dental is generally considered through the process of issuing an NMD or Norwegian Medical Directorate (certification). To help you with this here's a link to the Norwegian Directorate guidelines (pg. 25 is where you'll find Diabetes Type 1 discussed).

I would recommend looking at this very seriously. I've known people that worked for PCL and they hated their time there. When you're in port, you're not necessarily going out and enjoying port, you're helping get ready for the next leg of the journey. Will it maybe give you a better chance at true Offshore Medicine, maybe but so does seeking out rural departments with extensive transport times and obvious times of having to make decisions as a healthcare professional yourself without sacrificing time away for very little pay relatively speaking. Good luck and hope things work out for you.

I'm interested in potential offshore medical position. Can you advise which company or point me in a direction where you find reputable companies?

Thanks. Gus

medicaustik

Forum Crew Member
Anyone have insight as to whether or not Princess is still actively hiring paramedics as medical officers. I've had no luck in getting my foot into the front door thru an application process. A bit frustrating.

TacMedic - I actually spoke to their medical recruiter yesterday and they reopened the paramedic position. Looks like another round of hirings is in the works.

Go here: https://www.princess.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showSearchInterface

Type Paramedic into the search bar.

Then you have to do a resume, etc, and a survey of your experience.

Medic4Dawgs

Forum Probie
First there are two really good Linked In groups: Remote Medics and Offshore Medics that companies around the world post to. Rig Zone is another good place to keep an eye on for offshore opportunities. Companies that are good to get experience with are Frontier MEDEX, International SOS, and Remote Medics International. Others require safety experience and certifications like Falck. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. :)