Princess Cruises?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Princess is now recruiting Canadian paramedics. Just got this email

Princess Cruises is presently seeking experienced Paramedics with three years post certification experience to work as part of their medical team onboard their luxury cruise ships. This will involve you being away for up to four months at a time travelling into various exotic ports of call. With 19 ships you will certainly have an opportunity to visit some interesting placed. Although you will be hired as a paramedic, your duties onboard will be varied within the medical department and you will learn new skills and have an opportunity to follow patients throughout their stay onboard. Flights to and from the ships is provided, plus your own cabin, uniforms, room and board and a competitive salary. Interested candidates should email resumes to pmmarine@telus.net Please note we will also be attending Health Fairs in Toronto and Vancouver should you wish to visit the Princess Cruises booth. Alternatively please email any questions plus your resumes to us at your earliest convenience.

ShipMedic

Forum Probie
From what I have been reading, this sounds like an amazing and once in a lifetime experience!

I would be grateful if someone could take the time and answer some questions.

1. Do Paramedics have the opportunity to train staff on CPR and basic first aid? I love teaching and I would like to still have the opportunity to do so.

2. What type of continuing education is provided? Does the medical team train on a constant basis? What training materials are provided (CPR and airway dummies,etc)

3. I'm not looking for interview questions and answers. I would like to know the best way to prepare for all phases of the interview process.

4. I'm a type 1 diabetic. I use insulin and my BS are under control. Is this a disqualifier? Someone said a dental exam is given?

1. The paramedics are in charge of training the stretcher party, but it's very basic, as in CPR is outside their scope. It's basically just teaching them how to put someone on a backboard, apply oxygen, etc. We sometimes go over CPR but they aren't expected to do it.

2. No continuing ed is really provided. Some people who've been with the company for a while get access to an online CEU site, but that's about it. They do provide paid training days but you have to find the classes yourself and get them approved ahead of time. Every month there is a medical response team drill that is basically some type of major trauma or cardiac arrest scenario. They use a manequin and you do most everything as you would in real life, followed by a debrief. Some senior doctors take it more seriously than others.

3. The interview is pretty basic. Just be yourself and answer the questions truthfully.

4. This is probably a disqualifier. I've never seen any type 1 diabetics on board. Doesn't mean it's impossible, but I really doubt they would let someone work in a health or safety position that is insulin-dependent. Not to mention that you would be responsible for all costs related to your treatment. Princess doesn't provide insurance to paramedics.

OP
OP
J

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
Princess is now recruiting Canadian paramedics. Just got this email

Princess Cruises is presently seeking experienced Paramedics with three years post certification experience to work as part of their medical team onboard their luxury cruise ships. This will involve you being away for up to four months at a time travelling into various exotic ports of call. With 19 ships you will certainly have an opportunity to visit some interesting placed. Although you will be hired as a paramedic, your duties onboard will be varied within the medical department and you will learn new skills and have an opportunity to follow patients throughout their stay onboard. Flights to and from the ships is provided, plus your own cabin, uniforms, room and board and a competitive salary. Interested candidates should email resumes to pmmarine@telus.net Please note we will also be attending Health Fairs in Toronto and Vancouver should you wish to visit the Princess Cruises booth. Alternatively please email any questions plus your resumes to us at your earliest convenience.

Just a quick note, there are definitely not 19 ships available for paramedics. PMs are generally ONLY on grand class vessels, and then not even all of them for a host of supposed reasons. You're NOT going on the tiny ships that are doing world cruises. A few are out in SE Asia, but mostly its around Caribbean, Europe, and a buttload of Alaska/Hawaii/Canada.

ShipMedic

Forum Probie
Just a quick note, there are definitely not 19 ships available for paramedics. PMs are generally ONLY on grand class vessels, and then not even all of them for a host of supposed reasons. You're NOT going on the tiny ships that are doing world cruises. A few are out in SE Asia, but mostly its around Caribbean, Europe, and a buttload of Alaska/Hawaii/Canada.

Yeah 19 ships is a little misleading. Currently there are paramedics on the following ships-
Diamond, Emerald, Golden, Grand, Regal, Royal, Ruby, Sapphire and Star.
At one time they had paramedics on the Sea, which was the smallest ship with paramedics but they pulled them off because they didn't have enough for the larger ships. The smaller ships do the better itineraries so as jaysonsd said you're more than likely going to end up doing Alaska, Hawaii or the Caribbean, with a chance of Europe, Asia, or Australia/New Zealand.

TacMedic

Forum Probie
Well, pretty much have given up with medical officer (paramedic) employment on PCL. I'm not sure what they are looking for exactly, but what seems obvious is, I don't have it. Based on my electronic submission of a resume and cover letter, I received an email from PCL stating that "While your skills are impressive, we regret to inform you that we have decided to pursue other candidates whose experience and areas of functional responsibility more closely align with the specific requirements for this job."

I suspect they are looking for younger candidates. You can deduce quickly from my resume and dates/years of past employment, I'm not a brand new or low time EMS professional. I have 33 years in and law enforcement, EMS, tactical medic, NR critical care paramedic, and hospital experience ED medic and educator in EMS. Again, not sure what I'm missing.

Best of luck to others.

ShipMedic

Forum Probie
Well, pretty much have given up with medical officer (paramedic) employment on PCL. I'm not sure what they are looking for exactly, but what seems obvious is, I don't have it. Based on my electronic submission of a resume and cover letter, I received an email from PCL stating that "While your skills are impressive, we regret to inform you that we have decided to pursue other candidates whose experience and areas of functional responsibility more closely align with the specific requirements for this job."

I suspect they are looking for younger candidates. You can deduce quickly from my resume and dates/years of past employment, I'm not a brand new or low time EMS professional. I have 33 years in and law enforcement, EMS, tactical medic, NR critical care paramedic, and hospital experience ED medic and educator in EMS. Again, not sure what I'm missing.

Best of luck to others.
They probably know that you won't last a month. With that much experience, you're overqualified and won't be happy with the way things work onboard. While they do have younger folks, most tend to be in their mid-30's.

medicaustik

Forum Crew Member
Have a skype interview coming up..

Having read through this thread numerous times and spoken to several of the current medics with PCL, I'm excited/nervous about all this.

Overall it sounds like an awesome fit for me, especially since I'm very focused on finding the means to travel the world. Some of the criticisms of PCL's program are off-putting, though. The money isn't very good. I make about three times more now working full-time in IT, BUT my expenses leave me almost nothing to save at the end of the month. Honestly, I think I would end up saving more money by working on PCL.

I'm currently in a CCEMTP program due to finish in December. Hopefully the hiring process (should I do well) last long enough to allow me to finish that program.

Some remaining questions I have:

1. Are the clinic hours 100% mandatory every day? Or do you occasionally get to miss them. I ask specifically for port days. Are there ever port days where you are just free to be in the port until curfew, with no interruption?
2. I know it varies by ship, but how is the onboard gym/s?
3. As a young, single male, I've been led to believe that cruise ships can be quite.. lucrative.. for interaction with the opposite sex. Now, I'm not going after this opportunity to get laid.. but 4 months is a long time to go without company. Will there be time/opportunities?
4. I imagine you get almost no choice on first contract, but how about second, third and beyond? I'd hate to run the California-Hawaii route for an entire year.

All you guys/gals have been tremendously helpful. If you have any further thoughts on your experiences, I's love to hear more.

Fingers crossed things go well :D

ShipMedic

Forum Probie
Have a skype interview coming up..

Having read through this thread numerous times and spoken to several of the current medics with PCL, I'm excited/nervous about all this.

Overall it sounds like an awesome fit for me, especially since I'm very focused on finding the means to travel the world. Some of the criticisms of PCL's program are off-putting, though. The money isn't very good. I make about three times more now working full-time in IT, BUT my expenses leave me almost nothing to save at the end of the month. Honestly, I think I would end up saving more money by working on PCL.

I'm currently in a CCEMTP program due to finish in December. Hopefully the hiring process (should I do well) last long enough to allow me to finish that program.

Some remaining questions I have:

1. Are the clinic hours 100% mandatory every day? Or do you occasionally get to miss them. I ask specifically for port days. Are there ever port days where you are just free to be in the port until curfew, with no interruption?
2. I know it varies by ship, but how is the onboard gym/s?
3. As a young, single male, I've been led to believe that cruise ships can be quite.. lucrative.. for interaction with the opposite sex. Now, I'm not going after this opportunity to get laid.. but 4 months is a long time to go without company. Will there be time/opportunities?
4. I imagine you get almost no choice on first contract, but how about second, third and beyond? I'd hate to run the California-Hawaii route for an entire year.

All you guys/gals have been tremendously helpful. If you have any further thoughts on your experiences, I's love to hear more.

Fingers crossed things go well :D

I'm sure they'll work with you to finish the CCEMTP program, although they'll probably need people in December. It's always tough to place people then as people want to be off for the holidays. Plus there is a travel blackout from Dec 15th-Jan 15th due to increased travel expenses.

The pay definitely isn't that great, especially compared to the nurses, but expenses onboard are pretty minimal.

As for your questions:
1. It varies by ship and the senior doctor/senior nurse. You will probably have 1 clinic off each day. Usually it's the morning clinic following a nightshift. Some ships do a true 24 on, 24 off, where when you're on the 24 off you don't have either clinic, but it just depends how busy the ship is. I would plan to work at least 1 clinic every day though. If there's really something you want to do, like a tour or something, you should be able to get clinic off. With that said, the amount of time in port varies, but the ship usually arrives in the morning and leaves in the afternoon. Crew always have to be back at least 1hr before the ship sails, and there are trainings and drills that happen on port days, plus often times where the ship docks is not close to anything so you have to take a shuttle or taxi in to town. Not to mention passengers always come first, so what I'm trying to say is that you probably won't have as much time off as you'd like.

2. As an officer you can go to the passenger gym, although there may be some restrictions on the times you can go. It's much nicer than the crew gym, but it gets busy on sea days. Pax gyms have treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, rowing machine, circuit weight machines and free weights. Crew gym usually has a couple treadmills, a bike or 2, an elliptical, plus free weights.

3. You'll have no problems with the opposite sex if you're not too picky. Even though the male to female ratio is probably 1:4, being an officer with a single cabin opens up a lot of possibilities.

4. They're going to put you wherever they need you. You can always request a specific itinerary or ship but operational needs trump everything else. Things also change at the last minute so don't plan too much ahead.

PM me if you have more questions.

Mellowdnb

Forum Probie
ShipMedic,

Where did they send you for a medical exam? I noticed a dental exam is part of the exam. I have to have some dental work. What counts as a disqualifier on the dental part?

Do they pay for the exam?

medicaustik

Forum Crew Member
ShipMedic,

You seem rather disillusioned with PCL. Did you have a bad experience with them?

I understand this job isn't without it's frustration, but this thread and PCL's medical recruiter seem to sell the job accurately.

For those of us who love being ALS and practicing at a high level, I understand I would be frustrated. I was an ER Tech for some time and found that frustrating as well.. but once I got to know the Docs, they started letting me go beyond the scope of my job on occasion. Got to the point where I was able to assist on procedures. It's a truth in medicine that if you show a passion and desire to learn, most providers will help you out.

I'm excited about this job, should I get an offer, but I'm not without some anxiety. Seems like you have to be a specific type of person to thrive in this job, and though I'm confident I fit the bill, some people have made it sound like it's hell.

Sure sounds like it would be a nice change of pace/scenery, and hopefully helps a wannabe Offshore Medic build a resume.

medicaustik

Forum Crew Member
Update: Had a portion of a Skype interview. Unfortunately it had to be "suspended" so my resume and experience could be reviewed.

I do multiple part-time gigs as a Paramedic, on top of my volunteer hours, on top of my teaching hours. Unfortunately because it's sporadic and unorthodox, it probably won't be treated as equivalent to a full-time paid gig for the same amount of time.

Shame, considering I can run circles around the paid guys who do it for the money. Alas, my unorthodox experience doesn't count, and every job I try to get requires the traditional paid medic background. So now I either get into a local FD and sit through their Academy, or find a way to get more relevant experience.

Ugh. This is disappointing. Oh well.

Guess they'll just have to keep reading my resume every time they open up applications until they feel I meet the experience requirement :D

I was totally looking forward to shining at the clinical interview :(

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Update: Had a portion of a Skype interview. Unfortunately it had to be "suspended" so my resume and experience could be reviewed.

I do multiple part-time gigs as a Paramedic, on top of my volunteer hours, on top of my teaching hours. Unfortunately because it's sporadic and unorthodox, it probably won't be treated as equivalent to a full-time paid gig for the same amount of time.

Shame, considering I can run circles around the paid guys who do it for the money. Alas, my unorthodox experience doesn't count, and every job I try to get requires the traditional paid medic background. So now I either get into a local FD and sit through their Academy, or find a way to get more relevant experience.

Ugh. This is disappointing. Oh well.

Guess they'll just have to keep reading my resume every time they open up applications until they feel I meet the experience requirement :D

I was totally looking forward to shining at the clinical interview :(
There are plenty of government third service EMS jobs out there if youre willing to move. That way you can get the paid experience and not have to become a hose monkey

medicaustik

Forum Crew Member
There are plenty of government third service EMS jobs out there if youre willing to move. That way you can get the paid experience and not have to become a hose monkey

Indeed there are. The pay is dookie though unfortunately.

It's relatively impossible to live on your own with a third party paramedic salary in my area (Northern VA). ****, even as a Fire Dept Medic, you can barely afford a 1 bedroom apartment.

The cruise gig would be perfect. The pay might suck, but I'm in the perfect position in life to take on that job. No kids, no SO, no huge financial obligations.

Seriously, put me in a clinical situation and then tell me no. Don't let the resume dictate the decision :(

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Indeed there are. The pay is dookie though unfortunately.

It's relatively impossible to live on your own with a third party paramedic salary in my area (Northern VA). ****, even as a Fire Dept Medic, you can barely afford a 1 bedroom apartment.

The cruise gig would be perfect. The pay might suck, but I'm in the perfect position in life to take on that job. No kids, no SO, no huge financial obligations.

Seriously, put me in a clinical situation and then tell me no. Don't let the resume dictate the decision :(
Come to texas. We maje good money doing third service.

ShipMedic

Forum Probie
ShipMedic,

Where did they send you for a medical exam? I noticed a dental exam is part of the exam. I have to have some dental work. What counts as a disqualifier on the dental part?

Do they pay for the exam?

They have a company that will coordinate getting the exam done. It costs around $450 I think and they DO NOT pay for it.. It's valid for 1 or 2 years depending on the findings. For the dental part you just have to get a letter from your dentist certifying that you've been examined in the last few months and that your teeth are in good health and you don't require any dental work.

ShipMedic

Forum Probie
ShipMedic,

You seem rather disillusioned with PCL. Did you have a bad experience with them?

I understand this job isn't without it's frustration, but this thread and PCL's medical recruiter seem to sell the job accurately.

For those of us who love being ALS and practicing at a high level, I understand I would be frustrated. I was an ER Tech for some time and found that frustrating as well.. but once I got to know the Docs, they started letting me go beyond the scope of my job on occasion. Got to the point where I was able to assist on procedures. It's a truth in medicine that if you show a passion and desire to learn, most providers will help you out.

I'm excited about this job, should I get an offer, but I'm not without some anxiety. Seems like you have to be a specific type of person to thrive in this job, and though I'm confident I fit the bill, some people have made it sound like it's hell.

Sure sounds like it would be a nice change of pace/scenery, and hopefully helps a wannabe Offshore Medic build a resume.

I don't what to say a bad experience but it is what it is. From the outside looking in it seems like a great job but then you get there and there's a lot of BS you have to deal with that they didn't tell you about. There are several reasons they'll give you for why they started the paramedic program but the story I've heard from some of the senior doctors and what makes the most sense is that there was/is a nursing shortage and the nurses don't like being the first responder, so they killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Now they only need 3 nurses instead of 4 and the nurses are happier because they don't have to deal with the "first responder" BS. I put that in quotes because most of the first response you'll be doing is administrative and gastros (people with vomiting and diarrhea). There are very few emergencies. Yes many of the docs will let you help or do some procedures but there aren't that many to do unless you like doing wedge resections of toenails.

You do have to be a certain type of person for this job. You need to be very laid back and easily adaptable to change, because things are always changing. Also you have to be prepared to be low man on the totem pole and see things done *** backwards but there's nothing you can do about it. Things are the way they are and many of them don't make sense but "that's the way's it is" and you just have to accept that. More or less you are there to make the nurses jobs easier, so just be prepared.

Originally they were only recruiting USA NREMTP paramedics. Now they've opened up to the UK, South Africa and I guess Canada. They're having a hard time retaining and recruiting. That goes for the nurses and docs as well.

medicaustik

Forum Crew Member
I don't what to say a bad experience but it is what it is. From the outside looking in it seems like a great job but then you get there and there's a lot of BS you have to deal with that they didn't tell you about. There are several reasons they'll give you for why they started the paramedic program but the story I've heard from some of the senior doctors and what makes the most sense is that there was/is a nursing shortage and the nurses don't like being the first responder, so they killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Now they only need 3 nurses instead of 4 and the nurses are happier because they don't have to deal with the "first responder" BS. I put that in quotes because most of the first response you'll be doing is administrative and gastros (people with vomiting and diarrhea). There are very few emergencies. Yes many of the docs will let you help or do some procedures but there aren't that many to do unless you like doing wedge resections of toenails.

You do have to be a certain type of person for this job. You need to be very laid back and easily adaptable to change, because things are always changing. Also you have to be prepared to be low man on the totem pole and see things done *** backwards but there's nothing you can do about it. Things are the way they are and many of them don't make sense but "that's the way's it is" and you just have to accept that. More or less you are there to make the nurses jobs easier, so just be prepared.

Originally they were only recruiting USA NREMTP paramedics. Now they've opened up to the UK, South Africa and I guess Canada. They're having a hard time retaining and recruiting. That goes for the nurses and docs as well.

Yea, this is all about what I expected. I worked in an ER as a technician after having been a running paramedic for a couple years. It was frustrating being the *****, but after a month on the job, I was in good with most of the Docs and cool Nurses, so I was able to do a lot.

But I understand where you're coming from. Sounds like they want paramedics because we're cheaper.

Nonetheless, I'd like to at least try this gig out.

I've never really been happy in any job, might as well not be happy on a ship traveling to places I've never been.

ShipMedic

Forum Probie
Yea, this is all about what I expected. I worked in an ER as a technician after having been a running paramedic for a couple years. It was frustrating being the *****, but after a month on the job, I was in good with most of the Docs and cool Nurses, so I was able to do a lot.

But I understand where you're coming from. Sounds like they want paramedics because we're cheaper.

Nonetheless, I'd like to at least try this gig out.

I've never really been happy in any job, might as well not be happy on a ship traveling to places I've never been.

Keep trying for it then. It will be a good experience if nothing else. I would caution though using it as experience for an offshore gig. I don't think this gives you much experience in that because you won't be doing much clinical decision making. There's always a doctor nearby and they are expected to be called for just about everything.

medicaustik

Forum Crew Member
Keep trying for it then. It will be a good experience if nothing else. I would caution though using it as experience for an offshore gig. I don't think this gives you much experience in that because you won't be doing much clinical decision making. There's always a doctor nearby and they are expected to be called for just about everything.

It gives me more experience than I have now >.>

Apparently my perceived lack of experience is going to stop me from getting anything other than "entry-level" work anyway. If Princess doesn't think I have enough experience to play that low-level clinician role, I'm not sure any other organizations are going to think I have experience enough to be an independent clinician.

RMTMedic

Forum Probie

Best of luck to others.
I