Princess Cruises?

RMTMedic

Forum Probie
I applied right after they started using Paramedics a few years ago. They loved my qualifications, but the pay just wasn't what I wanted. I'm working offshore, 21 days on 21 days off making 60+/yr depending on assignment even more with benefits. I'm the only medical person onboard so I do it all here. Maybe if my assignment went away and I was going to take a 20K/yr pay cut I would re-apply. If anyone is looking for Remote Medical work, look offshore.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I applied right after they started using Paramedics a few years ago. They loved my qualifications, but the pay just wasn't what I wanted. I'm working offshore, 21 days on 21 days off making 60+/yr depending on assignment even more with benefits. I'm the only medical person onboard so I do it all here. Maybe if my assignment went away and I was going to take a 20K/yr pay cut I would re-apply. If anyone is looking for Remote Medical work, look offshore.
I am surprised that your wage is so low. I would have guessed you guys making 80-90k a year. Have you considered international work? Onshore and offshore medics up here start at about 110-120k.

RMTMedic

Forum Probie
It depends on what assignment you are on here in the GOM. The companies that pay higher typically either have little to no benefits or they aren't that good if they have them. I might make a little less, but my company has the majority of the assignments in the GOM. So if my current assignment goes away I have a good chance at a new assignment. Plus I love my current assignment, we are headed to the shipyard in the Caribbean in a few months. LOL! Sun and fun...well I'll be onboard but I'll have the sun. I've looked at international, but where they pay the higher rates, I don't want to go. If I need armed guards to take me to and from work and protect me, I'd rather not. But it is COLD up north!!! I'm walking around in short sleeves in the GOM. Ha-Ha!!

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It depends on what assignment you are on here in the GOM. The companies that pay higher typically either have little to no benefits or they aren't that good if they have them. I might make a little less, but my company has the majority of the assignments in the GOM. So if my current assignment goes away I have a good chance at a new assignment. Plus I love my current assignment, we are headed to the shipyard in the Caribbean in a few months. LOL! Sun and fun...well I'll be onboard but I'll have the sun. I've looked at international, but where they pay the higher rates, I don't want to go. If I need armed guards to take me to and from work and protect me, I'd rather not. But it is COLD up north!!! I'm walking around in short sleeves in the GOM. Ha-Ha!!
Yes it does get cold up here. Currently 3f , -9f with the wind chill and snowing. I am based out of a medical clinic though so I am nice and warm inside with my coworkers. Our ambulances are kept in heated garages or hangers.
I to work for a bigger company. It is nice knowing that if my contract ends or is cut short... Another is right around the corner.

Jonathan H

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone! Im a Primary Care Paramedic from Canada, I have my A-EMCA from Ontario and I'm actively registered and certified in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia as a PCP.

I have a job interview with Page Marine Crews, the Canadian recruiter for Princess. Just wondering if someone can give me any pointers?

I have my ACLS, PEARS, PALS, ITLS-Advanced as well as some Transport Canada certifications - MED-A3 (Marine Emergency Duties A3) and SVOP (Small Vessel Operators Proficiency). I have background with the Canadian Coast Guard so I'm hoping they consider this to be an asset.

Just some questions if anyone could answer:

Whats the scope of practice on board? Can physicians delegate certain procedures if it outside my scope of practice? IO insertion for example?
What are the medical protocols like? Are there any medical directives/standing orders that allow medication administration without doctor's orders?
How was your experience if you're presently employed with Princess as a paramedic, or have been in the past?

Johnny D

Forum Ride Along
I am new to the site. Retired ALS Medic from Toronto. Applied three weeks ago, did a Skype today and they say I will be getting the forms to move on in a few days.

Ed2

Forum Ride Along
Hi All,

I'm a newbie here so please bear with me. I have signed up after coming back to this thread time and time again. I have been waiting to get near to the requisite 3 years experience needed to apply to PCL.

Although some of the recent undertones of those posts from members who have experienced PCL employment has become quite low, I'm still very interested in pursuing a career with a cruise line.

I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering. I don't mind if you'd rather not answer or if you like Id appreciate PMs too.

Firstly, do any other cruise lines accept paramedics in their medical centres? I can only find PCL but one post mentioned Disney I believe...

Are PCL strict on their 3 years experience criteria? I have another 7 months until I'm 3 years post-qualification but, although my current employer is the best in the UK (service of the year 2014), I'm feeling tied down too early in life!

I'm an "Advanced Paramedic" so I've done a small amount of work in minor injuries, gp practices, walk in centres, emergency departments as well as the usual response cars and ambulances. What would you recommend I do for the next 7 months in terms of work placements and training courses to get myself noticed?

Is there a contact somebody could give me so that I can speak to PCL directly?

Thank you so much for all of the information so far and in anticipation of your kind responses.

All the best for the new year!

Ed

ShipMedic

Forum Probie
Hey everyone! Im a Primary Care Paramedic from Canada, I have my A-EMCA from Ontario and I'm actively registered and certified in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia as a PCP.

I have a job interview with Page Marine Crews, the Canadian recruiter for Princess. Just wondering if someone can give me any pointers?

I have my ACLS, PEARS, PALS, ITLS-Advanced as well as some Transport Canada certifications - MED-A3 (Marine Emergency Duties A3) and SVOP (Small Vessel Operators Proficiency). I have background with the Canadian Coast Guard so I'm hoping they consider this to be an asset.

Just some questions if anyone could answer:

Whats the scope of practice on board? Can physicians delegate certain procedures if it outside my scope of practice? IO insertion for example?
What are the medical protocols like? Are there any medical directives/standing orders that allow medication administration without doctor's orders?
How was your experience if you're presently employed with Princess as a paramedic, or have been in the past?

The scope of practice in some ways will be more than you're used to as you'll be taking x-rays, drawing bloods and running labs, and administering medications we don't normally give in the ambulance, such as antibiotics. However, almost all of this is under physician order. There are protocols/standing orders but they are very basic. You will carry a first response bag that has your basic first-line drugs like naloxone, D50, Epi 1:1000 plus a small O2 cylinder and AED. Since there is always a doctor available, there is very little you will do without direct orders from them. Once you've worked with them for a while, you will know what they want and will do some things prior to calling them. Still, you're not going to drop a tube or anything like that without them there. I've had them let me intubate before, but usually they want to do it because it's infrequent.

The job itself is actually quite boring. Most of what we do is primary care stuff with an occasional emergency. Paramedics mostly deal with crew during clinic hours and their complaints are mostly common colds, back pain, dental problems, etc. They come in for everything because it's free and one of the only ways they can get a day off work.

Carrying the "911 pager" means you'll get paged for everything remotely medical at all hours of the day and night. If you think your dispatchers are bad, wait until you have to deal with the junior assistant pursers at the front desk who are the "dispatchers." "Oh you broke your glasses at 3am, let me page the duty medic for you."

ShipMedic

Forum Probie
Hi All,

I'm a newbie here so please bear with me. I have signed up after coming back to this thread time and time again. I have been waiting to get near to the requisite 3 years experience needed to apply to PCL.

Although some of the recent undertones of those posts from members who have experienced PCL employment has become quite low, I'm still very interested in pursuing a career with a cruise line.

I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering. I don't mind if you'd rather not answer or if you like Id appreciate PMs too.

Firstly, do any other cruise lines accept paramedics in their medical centres? I can only find PCL but one post mentioned Disney I believe...

Are PCL strict on their 3 years experience criteria? I have another 7 months until I'm 3 years post-qualification but, although my current employer is the best in the UK (service of the year 2014), I'm feeling tied down too early in life!

I'm an "Advanced Paramedic" so I've done a small amount of work in minor injuries, gp practices, walk in centres, emergency departments as well as the usual response cars and ambulances. What would you recommend I do for the next 7 months in terms of work placements and training courses to get myself noticed?

Is there a contact somebody could give me so that I can speak to PCL directly?

Thank you so much for all of the information so far and in anticipation of your kind responses.

All the best for the new year!

Ed

PCL is the only one employing paramedics at this time. Disney uses paramedics but only on their private island. Now that Princess is part of the Holland America Group, they are trying to consolidate some things. So far it's just things like the formulary and equipment. I doubt we'll see paramedics on any other lines anytime soon. The big issue is cabin space. Even on the Princess ship with paramedics, many don't have a dedicated cabin for the 2nd paramedic and they get moved around to different crappy cabins.

I think they are pretty strict about the 3-year thing. They also prefer some experience working in an ER or clinic as that's the majority of this job. In terms of getting noticed, I think they're mostly looking for people who have experience and aren't really looking for "lights and sirens" as you won't see much of that here. It's a pretty boring job and you need a sound clinic background because you won't be doing a lot of the skills that you were doing on the ambulance.

hugo martins

Forum Ride Along
Hello i AM a emt in Portugal and nos Stuart my application with princess ... I had been contacted by humana resources to the first interview ... So Hoè is the application processo !?

emsjds33

Forum Ride Along
Hello Everyone:

I submitted my application at the beginning of the month, received an e-mail yesterday in reference to setting up a skype interview. I have went through the thread over the course of the past few years and I am slightly nervous and would love some extra advice/insight.
I have no ties currently with exception of my current job. I am single, young, dedicated, and just looking for a change from the typical day to day ambulance work in 911 and private settings.

1. Is there anything special I should do to prepare for the interview? (with exception of wearing the a suit)

I have saw so many posts stating offer of employment and a few that were declined. I am getting a little nervous because I really think this is an experience that I could not turn down and want to have. Any bit of advice will be greatly appreciated. Take care All!!!

ChickNorris

Forum Ride Along
Ya Jon I was at EMS expo also and spoke with the princess booth. I agree the info sounds about right. Only downer is the pay is pretty low IMO, even with free room and board.
No one is willing to talk about the pay, except that it is pretty low? What is considered pretty low? Do you get paid hourly? how does the pay work exactly?

ChickNorris

Forum Ride Along
I currently have 9 months of experience on an ambulance (full time) and just over 3 years of experience in an Er as a tech. I work for banner so my tech role includes iv, and blood draws. Will they consider me on princess cruises or is my experience not good enough. I am 26 years old. single, and have nothing to hold me back from enjoying this experience (except a house I would just rent out) I believe that this opportunity would be perfect for me but if I don't have the experience they are looking for than I need to look into something else.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I currently have 9 months of experience on an ambulance (full time) and just over 3 years of experience in an Er as a tech. I work for banner so my tech role includes iv, and blood draws. Will they consider me on princess cruises or is my experience not good enough. I am 26 years old. single, and have nothing to hold me back from enjoying this experience (except a house I would just rent out) I believe that this opportunity would be perfect for me but if I don't have the experience they are looking for than I need to look into something else.

From what I've read, they're hiring paramedics with a fair amount of experience. So no, you would not meet the requirements.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Basically if you cannot apply at a reputable flight company, Princess does not want you

CdnArmyMedic

Forum Ride Along
I applied to Princess Cruises.
Found out today they rejected my application with no reason given. Just some follow through with the board

OP
OP
J

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
I remember watching a special on working in Antarctica. At first, it elicits images of playing on the bottom of the world, chasing penguins and making snow angels on a big melting ice cube. But then the documentary shifts to the mechanics and HR reps talking about how they never get outside or see anything. Just a tin box, freezing your butt off on the bottom of the world. Its just like any other employer ensuring they maximize your skills in the moment. They don't care about your desire to 'experience' anything. I've had that same experience with PCL.

I made it to five contracts, definitely one of the last hold outs from the original hires. The reason you're seeing Canada pop up for hires is because they can't hold onto 'merican medics. You guys are the next best thing as the passengers don't hear much of an accent. My last few partners were from UK or SA. US medics quit after one or two contracts, pay starts 3200 a month, and you can't escape federal or state taxes either. Mix the low pay in with the lack of benefits and healthcare, sporadically good/bad rooms on the ships, crazy senior nurses, frequently being sent back the same itinerary over and over again, it gets old fast for some. US is a big country, so it really says something that PCL has had to expand their hiring to other countries than their original target (and in some cases, paying them more than the US quoted pay rate). The usual gripes for pay and benefits are not surprising, but there have been other horror stories that easily make a US medic choose to refuse their next contract or literally walk off the ship when it pulls into a US port.

Medics that are used to being on their own especially have it tough. A lot of the docs like the medics, a lot of the nurses don't and a lot of in between. Medics haven't done much to establish a rapport as the new part of the team with our original jobs so different from what is expected on ships. Nothing new there. After working enough contracts and hearing the nurses gripe over things when you see how much more they make a month along with benefits off contract we can NEVER get, you really wanna punch 'em in the face. Inevitably, SA medics will take up more and more of the medic spots as they get paid in USD and the conversion for them is fantastic. Where it will go, I have no idea. I'd wanna say 'good luck' to 'em or help keep the program going, but they haven't done anything to endear themselves to me. I was just a number. Its a job best left to people who wanna have fun, drink/party, interact with different cultures, work occasionally, and are not into it for the travel. Unless you like Hawaii/Alaska/Mexico, over and over and over and over and over again.