PIC Kits (Personal Infection Control)/EMS Fanny Packs | Who uses them?/Opinions

pmjohnson

Forum Ride Along
Who uses department-issued or personally purchased Fanny Packs/PIC Kits to carry a small amount of supplies and/or just BSI equipment?

What kind of bags do you use? My county issues them to the career folk, and my volunteer rescue squad is considering issuing them to our personnel.

Any suggestions for bags?

Any suggestions/real-life experiences with suggested equipment to stock them with?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Is that like a bat belt starter kit? Never heard of 'em.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
You lost me at Fanny pack :eek:

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
My county issues them, and attempts to MAKE us wear them on all runs. I run the risk of getting in trouble and mine stays with my turnout gear :) IMO come off the truck with the appropriate amount of PPE on for the call, and I think often you can gauge that based on the call.

Obviously gloves for every patient, and I always have safety glasses on for MVC's, trauma arrests, cardiac arrest, etc.

In my super fanny pack wear are required to have: gauntlets, N95 mask, facesheild or glasses, CPR mask, gloves, glove, and antimicrobial wipes.

We are issued: LA Rescue fannypacks.

OP
OP
P

pmjohnson

Forum Ride Along
Is that like a bat belt starter kit? Never heard of 'em.

It's pretty much like a bat-belt starter kit :p

I tried to post a link to an example, but I don't have 5 posts yet :p

Try googling "Emi Rescue Fanny Pack" under google images. You'll see good examples. They are pretty much fanny packs that carry gloves/stethoscopes/safety glasses/etc.

I've seen different people carrying different gear. Most carry a few 4x4's and other small pieces of equipment typically carried in an aid bag for quick access.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Like this from The Ops Deck
www.theopsdeck.com/MEDICAL INSTRUMENTS/PROD - ODM MA66 PPE Med Pack.htm

Also Meret USA makes one

I have the Ops Deck one, I use it with my turn out gear and stays with my special event bag, when I'm not near an ambulance at concerts or other large crowds.

I keep gloves, N95s, eye glasses, a 5x9, 3in roller, a flashlight, and a pair of shears

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I wear a duty belt with

Radio
Flashlight
Narcotics kit
Multi tool.

Does that count?

looks like this

chaz+bat-belt+2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
looks like this

chaz+bat-belt+2.jpg

Win.

I have a radio on my belt and that's it, used to carry a pager but I broke the belt clip and then sent the pager through the wash...I'm 22 cut me some slack, laundry isn't my forte ;) Now I get pages on my cellphone.

Couple extra pairs of gloves in my back pocket, grab a pair on my way out of the truck when we arrive on scene as well. Helmet has goggles on it for MVAs if they are necessary, airway kit has a mask with a visor on it, first out bag has N95 and surgical masks in the outside pocket. Don't really need an extra bag to carry my PPE...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We have the "extra" PPE in one of the bags. If they made us wear a fanny pack, we'd stage a revolt.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We have the "extra" PPE in one of the bags. If they made us wear a fanny pack, we'd stage a revolt.

That's pretty much how it would be here as well. I would love to see what happened if they tried.

Hell they tried to change our IV caddies and there was an uproar about it.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We have a little PPE pouch we have to carry at all times while on duty. It's about 5 inches long and 3 inches wide. It has belt loops so it just slides on our belt and we don't have to worry about it.

Inside of it it has: 1 pair of gloves, 1 N-95 mask, CPR face shield, alcohol prep pads, hand wipes, and 1 pair of ear plugs.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
It all seems like a bit much. Can't you just put some gloves in your cargo pockets, and your shears etc., as well?

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
Minimum PPE on every patient contact in my county is supposed to be gloves and safety glasses (Though I cheat most of the time and just use my regular glasses.... need to look into rx safety glasses one of these days), and carry an extra pair of gloves or two in a pocket. Anything else is readily available from a jump kit.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
Who uses department-issued or personally purchased Fanny Packs/PIC Kits to carry a small amount of supplies and/or just BSI equipment?

What kind of bags do you use? My county issues them to the career folk, and my volunteer rescue squad is considering issuing them to our personnel.

Any suggestions for bags?

Any suggestions/real-life experiences with suggested equipment to stock them with?
In my service they issue a small green pack inside there are gowns n95 respirators masks and safety glasses.

mrg86

Forum Crew Member
I keep one with my gear, I have the standard infection control PPE and also keep a bunch of gloves, trauma shears, light and pens in it. It stays in the truck unless the short report sounds like I may need it or I am going to an MVC.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
We use them in Fairfax County. I find it to get in the way. But, since I'm allergic to cats, it's quite handy to have the N95 at the ready from the pack. That and Emergency Medical Spectacles (safety glasses) are convenient to have in the pack, but we're not using anything else from it. We could easily pack that stuff in our ALS bag or Airway bag.