nj first aid council

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
You cannot be 19 and drive an ambulance in the state of NJ.;)
OK... I know NJ is a Nanny State (19 to buy Tobacco?)

Can you explain why a 19 year old couldn't drive a rig?

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad

Never heard that before. I worked with several 18 year olds who drive....

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Never heard that before. I worked with several 18 year olds who drive....

That was my understanding as well. I'm pretty sure I've seen numerous 18 and 19 year olds driving an ambulance. I think for insurance reasons generally you have to hold an unrestricted (rather than GDL) license, but that's not a "legal" restriction in the true sense.

51 RESCUE EMT-B

Forum Probie
Perhaps I spoke premature, I was under the impression that members under 21 were unable to operate ambulances in the state of NJ. Ultimately I suppose it is up to individual squads and insurance providers that determines the age. However my opinion concurs that I would support such a law.

taz1890

Forum Ride Along
There is no minimum age to operate any emergency vehicle in the State of NJ. Insane...yes...but that's the way it is....

firecoins

IFT Puppet
There is no minimum age to operate any emergency vehicle in the State of NJ. Insane...yes...but that's the way it is....

I am pretty you need a DL so no one under 16 can drive. My employer has restricted drivers to 21 and over

taz1890

Forum Ride Along
Well - of course you need a drivers license. I was simply stating that any other age minimum set is not set by the State, but by a department or insurance carrier.

OP
OP
Silver_Star

Silver_Star

Forum Crew Member
But also don't group all volunteer agencies as one or two call a day places. My parent's town gets about 5000 EMS calls a year (give or take a few hundred). one squad covers the town. nights and weekends are all volunteer, with the occasional day crew. how many of your EMS agencies can say the same? And before anyone asks, I wish they would put on paid staff 24/7 and bill instead of having to beg for donations.

more larger paid agencies, fewer slow volunteer agencies, equal training standards for all, fewer town boundaries restricting emergency services, closest unit goes, yeah, a man can dream.

I am paid, and a volunteer. My volunteer squad gets a few thousand calls per year. We have a crew 24/7, we answer all of our own calls.

You're going to get a lot of 19-year-old EMTs who want to drive an ambulance like they stole it.
I find that offensive. I'm 19. I drive very carefully. I have seen more people in the an older age group drive much worse than someone who is 19.

OP
OP
Silver_Star

Silver_Star

Forum Crew Member
And on the note that many people think volunteer agencies have poor patient care - I have shown up on many scenes where a pt really should have gone to a hospital but refuses because they think they will be billed for the ambulance transport.
Also I have seen much poorer patient care come from paid medical staff rather than a volunteer agency. Such as my local ER staff and many of the medics we get. the medics have left scenes where they were needed because the "patient is faking" without even doing an assessment. the medics have given out expired medication, and have been fined for it. (will they change? considering the company, probably not)
the local er staff (and medics) hardly ever uses gloves when touching a patient, which in my opinion is a simple, but crucial thing to patient care to avoid cross contamination. If someone just touched a patient with mrsa and then touched me, I would not be a happy camper.
a paycheck means crap in terms of quality of care.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
And on the note that many people think volunteer agencies have poor patient care - I have shown up on many scenes where a pt really should have gone to a hospital but refuses because they think they will be billed for the ambulance transport.
Also I have seen much poorer patient care come from paid medical staff rather than a volunteer agency. Such as my local ER staff and many of the medics we get. the medics have left scenes where they were needed because the "patient is faking" without even doing an assessment. the medics have given out expired medication, and have been fined for it. (will they change? considering the company, probably not)
the local er staff (and medics) hardly ever uses gloves when touching a patient, which in my opinion is a simple, but crucial thing to patient care to avoid cross contamination. If someone just touched a patient with mrsa and then touched me, I would not be a happy camper.
a paycheck means crap in terms of quality of care.

This is gonna turn into a paid vs volly debate, isn't it? This is the bottom line for me:
If we are going to forward EMS as a profession, and expect better pay and treatment from employers, we need to get rid of working for free. In NO other profession, are people working for free. Why would an employer pay more for someone to work for them, when they can just get someone for free? Allowing people to work for free just makes this job a joke. Also, the cost for getting the 'education' required for EMT or Medic is WAY too cheap! Why do I say this? If we have to all pay 15-20k for our medic education, would you be inclined to do it for free? But if you think it looks cool, and a volly squad will pay for your basic if you work with them, why would you ever want to go paid? It's stupid.

JPINFV

Gadfly
the local er staff (and medics) hardly ever uses gloves when touching a patient, which in my opinion is a simple, but crucial thing to patient care to avoid cross contamination.

Err. Do you know what universal precautions is?

OP
OP
Silver_Star

Silver_Star

Forum Crew Member
This is gonna turn into a paid vs volly debate, isn't it? This is the bottom line for me:
If we are going to forward EMS as a profession, and expect better pay and treatment from employers, we need to get rid of working for free. In NO other profession, are people working for free. Why would an employer pay more for someone to work for them, when they can just get someone for free? Allowing people to work for free just makes this job a joke. Also, the cost for getting the 'education' required for EMT or Medic is WAY too cheap! Why do I say this? If we have to all pay 15-20k for our medic education, would you be inclined to do it for free? But if you think it looks cool, and a volly squad will pay for your basic if you work with them, why would you ever want to go paid? It's stupid.

the education of an emt-b is also a joke. i didn't learn anything new that i hadn't already known. i recall many people being being pushed through the course because they became friendly with the lead instructor.

OP
OP
Silver_Star

Silver_Star

Forum Crew Member
Ok, then. What does universal precautions say about intact skin and sweat?

unless theres blood, it doesnt apply.

unless you've misunderstood what i said, let me make it a little more clear. i have watched paid medical professionals not use gloves when they really should have, when universal precautions did apply to the situtation.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Close enough. So, what again, is the problem with tending to patients without gloves again?

OP
OP
Silver_Star

Silver_Star

Forum Crew Member
Close enough. So, what again, is the problem with tending to patients without gloves again?

when theres blood and icky things on them, or your poking them with a needle and making blood come out of them, its a good idea to use gloves instead of going bare handed.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle

Because, at least in EMS, the standard is now body substance isolation, which treats all bodily fluids, not just blood and semen (as in universal precautions), as potentially infectious.

Trauma's Mistress

Forum Crew Member
Hello,

I dont really have an issue with NJ. Except right now. I am having a bit of a time getting into a paid squad. I keep calling my nearest paid squad - GTEMS and I get no answer no answer, and I dont want to just go down there, I am sure they are busy . I used to be an emt back in 03, but worked for a hospital as an ER tech, and now I work for a different hospital as a manager of the transport dept (in house) and in doing all of this my lisc expired. I went thru the class -again ! lol and I passed again :) But I am trying to get on the streets. I am craving getting out there. Its where I belong. I am tired of sitting behind a desk lol.

Tips? places to apply ? Anyone ?

I posted this here, cause the title of the thread had NJ in it, so instead of making a new one, i would just put it here :)

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Getting on a paid squad is often more about networking than actually applying.

sometimes you can email them. Assuming you mean Glouster Twp EMS, try **removed email address** fill out the application here http://gtems.org/employment/application.html

if you mean another place, check out their website. some have online applications or contact us links that can direct you to the appropriate person.

but don't forget something getting on can be about knowing who to ask for an application, who handles the hiring, and who to go to to get hired. I applied for a job with a certain paid squad about 3 years ago. I had a decent resume, about 7 years experience, and was working FT for a hospital based EMS agency. I interviewed with their admin and supervisors, met some of their people, and generally liked them and they liked me. They didn't hire me. One of my buddies is now a supervisor there, and I asked him to check if he could find why I wasn't hired. All my app said was not hired, no reason given.

Every place since that I have applied for with one exception, including my current FT job, I have either known someone or known some people who worked here prior, and have gotten them. This field is all about networking and meeting people, that's the best advise I can give you. plus, remember EMS is a small circle, and with everyone knowing EVERYONE, your past will follow up, esp if you stay in the same local area.

Last edited by a moderator: