nj first aid council

dewd09

Forum Crew Member
I hate this state, I hate this state, I really hate this state. <_<

Hate is such a strong word, and you seem to throw around your hate messages quite a bit. Maybe it's not the Volly's, it the people who can't keep their mouth closed?

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Hate is such a strong word, and you seem to throw around your hate messages quite a bit. Maybe it's not the Volly's, it the people who can't keep their mouth closed?

Maybe its the furst grade counsil who keeps the standards for EMS low by not mandating 2 EMTs on an ambulance.

Maybe its the state who empowers BLS crews who can pretty much tell me to stuff it when I request they slow down, and turn off lights and sirens.
In what fantasy world does BLS tell ALS what to do?

I hate that all it takes is a 110hr course for a person to be able to determine if a patient needs ALS or not.

I hate that the state regs prevent me from working for a public agency (other then UMD up north), because only hospitals are good enough to provide ALS. :glare: Thanks for screwing me out of a pension.

How bout our corrupt politicians?

Ever been to the Wildwood Firemans Convention?
I went this year to train (got stuck working instead), get a few good deals on things I need, socialize, and see some cool new toys.

Talk about an embarassment to emergency services......

I hate stupid paid services just as much as I hate stupid volunteer services.
However, then the volunteers have a group who openly advocates not having at a minimum, 2 EMTs on an ambulance, how are we as a profession supposed to move forward?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Actually, I saw a LOT this year. I stayed about a block north of the convention center with friends from Camden County, even though I live in Cape May County.
For the record, I am no longer a vollie FF. I was kicked off for not showing up for 2 months, even though I made it well known I would be working my Medic job, my PT FF job, and my PT marina job, and made every effort to show up when I could.
That said, I saw many members from my PT job (North Wildwood FD) down there, working, training, wandering around the exibits, and cutting up at the bars.
Funny thing, none of them had shirts on from ANY FD/EMS agency when they went out to drink. :rolleyes:

AJ... thats why a group of folks from a local county makes "Shore Force" t-shirts - it says "I'm involved in fire/EMS, but NOT with any particular station"

One of these years I need to make it down. I hear fun stories each year.

I hate that the state regs prevent me from working for a public agency (other then UMD up north), because only hospitals are good enough to provide ALS. :glare: Thanks for screwing me out of a pension.

And I hate that when I get pulled across the river from PA to cover a NJ call, my ALS truck becomes a BLS truck... and I need to take a trauma patient in BLS, because we try and fail to meet up with a MICU (or 3). Somehow getting ALS becomes a Cluster**** over there.

Last edited by a moderator:

TotowaEMT

Forum Probie
just to clarify, there is nothing that says you need to be an NJSFAC member to be eligible for the training fund, you just need to be on a volunteer squad.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
In what fantasy world does BLS tell ALS what to do?

And in what fantasy world does being ALS make you the boss of BLS providers?

Last I checked, the medic only has control over patient care... not what an EMT does in any other non-related facet of their job.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
And in what fantasy world does being ALS make you the boss of BLS providers?

Last I checked, the medic only has control over patient care... not what an EMT does in any other non-related facet of their job.

When the state regs say no lights and sirens to the hospital unless its an emergency. When the Medics are there, unless we say so, the emergency is pretty much over.
Its MY life they are gambling with now. I don't take kindly to that. ALS leads the EMS team during patient care.
If I ask for a Reeves, low flow O2, and a nice easy ride to the hospital, I expect a Reeves, low flow O2, and a nice easy ride to the hospital, not to go screaming down the road with flashies and woo woos.

SES4

Forum Lieutenant
When the state regs say no lights and sirens to the hospital unless its an emergency. When the Medics are there, unless we say so, the emergency is pretty much over.
Its MY life they are gambling with now. I don't take kindly to that. ALS leads the EMS team during patient care.
If I ask for a Reeves, low flow O2, and a nice easy ride to the hospital, I expect a Reeves, low flow O2, and a nice easy ride to the hospital, not to go screaming down the road with flashies and woo woos.

Plain and simple: People do not understand NJ's system.

Also, I tend to think I will be the same as you when I finally get become an MICP, if I ask for something politely and professionally please do it as in NJ ALS definitely had a lot more responibility and liability than BLS. As it stands now, ALS makes a request I oblige.

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
Wow, its cheap out there. I paid a grand alone for my tuition, that doesn't include my books, equipment and uniform for my er rotation.

I think what the previous poster said is a little low. The community college near me charges $650. And it's free if you belong to a volunteer squad.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I couldn't imagine paying 1k for 110 hours of training. The local high school vo-tech (most courses open to adults) only charged a $40 registration fee and it was an additional $80 for books.

SES4

Forum Lieutenant
My previous post was typed on an iPod touch so sorry for poor spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Plain and simple: People do not understand NJ's system.

Also, I tend to think I will be the same as you when I finally get become an MICP, if I ask for something politely and professionally please do it as in NJ ALS definitely had a lot more responibility and liability than BLS. As it stands now, ALS makes a request I oblige.

Good for you!
You are furthering your career, and you realize that RL&S are for emergencies.

M is for MOBILE. I try to do as much as I can do while Mobile. Its much easier to do IVs while driving smoothly!

SES4

Forum Lieutenant
Good for you!

M is for MOBILE. I try to do as much as I can do while Mobile. Its much easier to do IVs while driving smoothly!

Why thank you AJ. Seriously though you are correct, M is for MOBILE and we have to get in as much as possible while MOBILE. And NJ legislation does spell out loud and clear when, where, how, and why one would, could, should, etc. use RL&S. It's pretty easy to understand.

As for the First Aid Squad Council: Seriously, we need to go paid BLS perhaps augment it with volunteers to allow people to volunteer. But the bulk of NJ EMS should be paid. I think it would definitely improve NJ EMS generally. I know this is not a popular opinion but oh well I am entitled to my opinion and that is what I think.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Good for you!
you know, this is one of those cases where I agree with BLSBoy 100%. however, I know of several 100% paid agencies that routinely use RL&S for transporting patients that are not experiencing life threatening emergencies. I also know of some ALS providers that say anytime they transport a patient, RL&S are to be used. in fact, I know of one BLS crew that didn't want L&S and the ALS did, even though the patient was reportedly stable (but still warranted ALS for a workup), which resulted in a complaints being filed by both crews with their respective supervisors. so you can't say it's just volunteers or BLS, because paid staff and ALS are just as guilty.
haha, so that's what the M stands for. I have seen so many ALS providers set up camp at the side of the road during a line of sight rendezvous, or just spend waaaaaay too much time on scene that I thought it was for "maintain current location.":D But in all fairness, I know of many who will do all their assessment and interventions while enroute to the hospital.
As for the First Aid Squad Council: Seriously, we need to go paid BLS perhaps augment it with volunteers to allow people to volunteer. But the bulk of NJ EMS should be paid. I think it would definitely improve NJ EMS generally. I know this is not a popular opinion but oh well I am entitled to my opinion and that is what I think.
and I think you are right, 100%. But I would like expand on your statement.

NJ has a lot of small, volunteer squads throughout the state, usually one per town. This results in small call volume agencies (between 200 and 600 calls a year), where it doesn't pay to pay staff 24/7. In order to improve, we need to consolidate those smaller squads into larger multi-town or county based EMS agencies.

But also don't group all volunteer agencies as one or two call a day places. My parent's town gets about 5000 EMS calls a year (give or take a few hundred). one squad covers the town. nights and weekends are all volunteer, with the occasional day crew. how many of your EMS agencies can say the same? And before anyone asks, I wish they would put on paid staff 24/7 and bill instead of having to beg for donations.

more larger paid agencies, fewer slow volunteer agencies, equal training standards for all, fewer town boundaries restricting emergency services, closest unit goes, yeah, a man can dream.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Paid or volunteer ambulances are still drawing from the same pool of applicants. You're going to get a lot of 19-year-old EMTs who want to drive an ambulance like they stole it.

Sure, volunteer squads should have the same training and equipment standards as paid companies. Beyond that, it's the EMTs, not whether they get a paycheck, that make the difference.

51 RESCUE EMT-B

Forum Probie
You cannot be 19 and drive an ambulance in the state of NJ.;)

Paid or volunteer ambulances are still drawing from the same pool of applicants. You're going to get a lot of 19-year-old EMTs who want to drive an ambulance like they stole it.

Sure, volunteer squads should have the same training and equipment standards as paid companies. Beyond that, it's the EMTs, not whether they get a paycheck, that make the difference.

SES4

Forum Lieutenant
you know, this is one of those cases where I agree with BLSBoy 100%. however, I know of several 100% paid agencies that routinely use RL&S for transporting patients that are not experiencing life threatening emergencies. I also know of some ALS providers that say anytime they transport a patient, RL&S are to be used. in fact, I know of one BLS crew that didn't want L&S and the ALS did, even though the patient was reportedly stable (but still warranted ALS for a workup), which resulted in a complaints being filed by both crews with their respective supervisors. so you can't say it's just volunteers or BLS, because paid staff and ALS are just as guilty.
haha, so that's what the M stands for. I have seen so many ALS providers set up camp at the side of the road during a line of sight rendezvous, or just spend waaaaaay too much time on scene that I thought it was for "maintain current location.":D But in all fairness, I know of many who will do all their assessment and interventions while enroute to the hospital.
and I think you are right, 100%. But I would like expand on your statement.

NJ has a lot of small, volunteer squads throughout the state, usually one per town. This results in small call volume agencies (between 200 and 600 calls a year), where it doesn't pay to pay staff 24/7. In order to improve, we need to consolidate those smaller squads into larger multi-town or county based EMS agencies.

But also don't group all volunteer agencies as one or two call a day places. My parent's town gets about 5000 EMS calls a year (give or take a few hundred). one squad covers the town. nights and weekends are all volunteer, with the occasional day crew. how many of your EMS agencies can say the same? And before anyone asks, I wish they would put on paid staff 24/7 and bill instead of having to beg for donations.

more larger paid agencies, fewer slow volunteer agencies, equal training standards for all, fewer town boundaries restricting emergency services, closest unit goes, yeah, a man can dream.

I concur regarding consolidation. Some towns/cities in NJ are so small that you drive through them without even knowing you were there. So consolidate and pay. I think the same should go for volley fire in NJ.

Regarding the training fund: Personally I went through EMT school funded by the Training Fund. Either way there is merit to having to pay for or find money some how which equates to paying for school yourself. People tend to work harder when it's their own cash. It is a great resource for those who can not afford to get their CEU's but I think that one should have to foot the bill for ones inital EMT-B cert. The training fund can assist in paying for Con. Ed.

Regardless, I am well on my way to becoming an MICP and can not wait to be on the ALS side of NJ EMS!

SES4

Forum Lieutenant