Need some guidance plz! Recently been arrested, but yet convicted. EMT an option anymore???

brittbritt

Forum Probie
Hello everyone,

I'm here to ask if anyone can shed some light on my situation. I have been recently arrested for a DUI in October and my court date has been pushed back to January... at the earliest. So I'm not sure when I will actually see the judge or know about my conviction. I was planning on starting an EMT program during my Christmas break, but now I don't know what to do. I unfortunately, live in Forsyth, GA which is a no tolerance county and DUI court is EXTREMELY harsh. I have been very proactive in getting a head start on my situation, bc I do not want to go to court with nothing to show. I have had the interlock device added to my car (so I can still drive), completed my DUI school, eval (which lawyer says will be required by judge), Victim's Impact panel, and almost have 30hrs in community service hours. Thx in advance guys!

QUESTIONS:

Should I invest in a program when I don't know if I will be convicted of a Reckless Driving (best case) or DUI (worst case)?
What is the likelihood of me getting hired with either on my criminal record?
If I decided to purse EMT and cannot work for an EMT company, can I use my certification to get a different job in healthcare?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
You are likely going to be out of luck for a while. A very recent DUI charge does not show well on your character. A DUI 10 years ago? Not a huge deal. A DUI 3 months ago? Huge deal.

I’m in a different state than you are but at least out here you will be uninsurable on ambulance insurances for 5-7 years after a DUI.

If it gets pleaded down to reckless driving, while that is a little better, it is still going to hurt you big time as one of the major functions of being an EMT is driving.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I can't speak for GA, but in my state, you'd probably have a chance in EMS.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Went to the Georgia DOH website to read the actual regulations on what is a disqualifying offense, and got a message that said in order to combat digital piracy, only state authorized agencies were allowed to view the material and there was a login below. That is seriously messed up...especially since Georgia lost a lawsuit over its official annotated code and their claims it was copyrighted.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You are likely going to be out of luck for a while. A very recent DUI charge does not show well on your character. A DUI 10 years ago? Not a huge deal. A DUI 3 months ago? Huge deal.

I’m in a different state than you are but at least out here you will be uninsurable on ambulance insurances for 5-7 years after a DUI.

If it gets pleaded down to reckless driving, while that is a little better, it is still going to hurt you big time as one of the major functions of being an EMT is driving.
Even if the state licenses them and a company is willing to hire them, I'm pretty sure the insurance company is going to say no...at least for the immediate future.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
You're going to have a couple of issues: One is that it is possible that Georgia may consider a DUI to be a disqualifying conviction and even if it isn't, you'll have difficulty finding a job for a while afterward on an ambulance because DUI convictions generally will make you uninsurable. That will probably be the harder challenge. So, you'll have to widen your search for a job that doesn't involve driving. ED Tech is one such type of position.

Please do bear in mind that we're not saying that it's impossible, just that it's going to be very difficult at best. The fact that you're taking proactive steps may be a mitigating factor, and all this depends upon being found guilty of DUI. If you're able to plea it down to something less, then you might have a better chance though your arrest record will still show that you were arrested for DUI.

OP
OP
B

brittbritt

Forum Probie
You're going to have a couple of issues: One is that it is possible that Georgia may consider a DUI to be a disqualifying conviction and even if it isn't, you'll have difficulty finding a job for a while afterward on an ambulance because DUI convictions generally will make you uninsurable. That will probably be the harder challenge. So, you'll have to widen your search for a job that doesn't involve driving. ED Tech is one such type of position.

Please do bear in mind that we're not saying that it's impossible, just that it's going to be very difficult at best. The fact that you're taking proactive steps may be a mitigating factor, and all this depends upon being found guilty of DUI. If you're able to plea it down to something less, then you might have a better chance though your arrest record will still show that you were arrested for DUI.
So even if it’s dropped to a WD, the arrest record will show up as a DUI?
so, my next question. Do you all think it’s wise to still pursue EMT and try to get hired as an ER tech or just find a different healthcare field? What happens if I complete the course and get hired, all before I’m convicted? Is it the arrested record that’s the insurance company is looking at or the conviction?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Go to nursing school...come back to EMT after a few years have passed.

OP
OP
B

brittbritt

Forum Probie
My timeframe doesn’t allow that. Long story short, I’m a post bacc going for PA and need PCE. I have always been inspired by the commitment that EMS(when I shadowed) has for their community and want to be apart of that. Due to my recent life choices I have now made my path more difficult. I have three classes left until I graduate and PA programs like the sciences to be within 5 yrs. it looks like my only option left is Medical Assistant:/

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Or CNA...quick and easy to get, some ERs will hire/prefer CNAs for the tech role and they add on skills. All depends on what is in your area.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse

Idk about other states, but where I live they won’t issue a nursing license if you have had a recent DUI, typically in the past 5-7 years. The board considers it a show of poor judgment and character inconsistent with those of a professional.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
So even if it’s dropped to a WD, the arrest record will show up as a DUI?
so, my next question. Do you all think it’s wise to still pursue EMT and try to get hired as an ER tech or just find a different healthcare field? What happens if I complete the course and get hired, all before I’m convicted? Is it the arrested record that’s the insurance company is looking at or the conviction?
No, your record will show a conviction for whatever reduced charge you can plea to.

1. Stop drinking and driving - period.
2. Pony up the cash for a good DUI lawyer. Most first time DUI offenses can be reduced. The reduction may not sound like much, and it'll still be expensive and uncomfortable, but it is quite worth it to avoid that DUI conviction on your record

OP
OP
B

brittbritt

Forum Probie
No, your record will show a conviction for whatever reduced charge you can plea to.

2. Pony up the cash for a good DUI lawyer. Most first time DUI offenses can be reduced. The reduction may not sound like much, and it'll still be expensive and uncomfortable, but it is quite worth it to avoid that DUI conviction on your record
I have stopped since the arrest and I do have a good dui lawyer. My mentally with this, is that debt can go away sooner than this dui charge.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Around here, it would be exceedingly hard to get hired on anywhere (EMT on the street or ED Tech in the hospital) with a recent DUI. Maybe a bit more luck with a smaller hospital. I can't speak to what's what where you are from, but not even volunteer fire departments will take volunteers who have a recent (less than 3-5 years) on as members.

Do whatever you can to get the charges reduced, you will be spending $$$ for a good lawyer, but hopefully you can plea something that is not a DUI. I'd make your decision about EMT school after you figure out what the final conviction is.

Also, will PA schools even accept candidates with recent DUIs? Not to keep raining on your parade, but it is already pretty difficult and competitive to get into PA school. The concern would be that even if you were accepted to PA school, it would still be difficult to get credentialed at many hospitals with a recent DUI and in many more desirable places to live, hard to find a supervising physician to sign on with willing to take that risk.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Depends on the background check actually. When I worked in law enforcement as a dispatcher and a jailer, the background checks would show what you were arrested for and then below it would show the disposition of the charge including if convicted or plead guilty to a different charge.

Don't skip over the fact that a lot of applications include wording like have you ever been arrested, charged, or convicted of a crime and if so provide details.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Your arrest record is permanent. Your conviction is separate from that. Insurance companies aren’t stupid, they know exactly what happened and how you pled to get it reduced.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Your arrest record is permanent. Your conviction is separate from that. Insurance companies aren’t stupid, they know exactly what happened and how you pled to get it reduced.
I’d be surprised if a employment background check returned arrest records instead of or in addition to convictions, but I’ve been surprised before.

Either way, an OVI conviction is significantly worse than a plea to a reduced charge, and reduced charge convictions don’t preclude you from being insured..

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Since you're looking for patient experience for PA school, why not look at becoming a CNA, EKG technician, physical therapy aide, or phlebotomist?

OP
OP
B

brittbritt

Forum Probie
Since you're looking for patient experience for PA school, why not look at becoming a CNA, EKG technician, physical therapy aide, or phlebotomist?
Some PA program will only accept partial hours for scribe, CNA, phlebotomy etc. PTA takes too long for my time frame. I’m trying to get certified within 6 months max

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I can't imagine there is such a shortage of newly minted EMT-Basics right now that you'd be hired anywhere with a DUI arrest.

You're asking if a DUI is going to impact your ability to get hired on a job where you spend at least half of the day driving. I'd say yes.

I don't know of many hospitals that will hire EMTs with no experience as techs, but you can certainly try.

Good luck!