Need some guidance plz! Recently been arrested, but yet convicted. EMT an option anymore???

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Why such an accelerated timeline? 6 months is not a lot of time to get any meaningful experience anywhere in anything, at least when it comes to medicine.

OP
OP
B

brittbritt

Forum Probie
And there are things you can’t rely on so another path might be the best. Or, notify the DA you want to plead guilty and it’s done.
I cannot plead guilty, because DUIs stay on record for over 4 years and I will lose the ability to drive. Right now with the interlock on my car I can still go to and from (work, school, volunteer hrs, community hrs, and tutoring).
@NomadicMedic, I did reach out to the BEMS, they said they would not be able to say anything until they received my file to be licensed....after I go to school and sit for the NREMT. I called Central EMS and they said they could not enroll me or hire me until the conviction is done....and that is still not a guarantee that I could be accepted.

Thank you all for your time and advice during my situation. It helped my get the answers I need and come to the realization that my **** ups are mine to own and to learn from. You all are working to save lives from people like me and our stupid decisions that affect everyone involved, including the first responders. For that I am sorry for my recklessness and poor judgement. Take care and be safe. I will continue to move forward with my sobriety and goal of becoming a PA, regardless of the countless hurdles that I have now placed in my path.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I cannot plead guilty, because DUIs stay on record for over 4 years and I will lose the ability to drive. Right now with the interlock on my car I can still go to and from (work, school, volunteer hrs, community hrs, and tutoring).
@NomadicMedic, I did reach out to the BEMS, they said they would not be able to say anything until they received my file to be licensed....after I go to school and sit for the NREMT. I called Central EMS and they said they could not enroll me or hire me until the conviction is done....and that is still not a guarantee that I could be accepted.

Thank you all for your time and advice during my situation. It helped my get the answers I need and come to the realization that my **** ups are mine to own and to learn from. You all are working to save lives from people like me and our stupid decisions that affect everyone involved, including the first responders. For that I am sorry for my recklessness and poor judgement. Take care and be safe. I will continue to move forward with my sobriety and goal of becoming a PA, regardless of the countless hurdles that I have now placed in my path.
Good luck in your endeavors.

Jambow

Forum Probie

Licensing of Individuals with Criminal History.
(a)The department shall deny any license application submitted by an applicant who has been convicted of a felony, a crime of violence, or a crime of moral turpitude; and, may deny any license application submitted by an applicant who has been convicted of driving under the influence or possession of a controlled substance.
(b)The department may deny any license application submitted by an applicant with unresolved criminal charges, whether initiated by arrest warrant, information, accusation, or indictment. This subsection shall not apply to minor traffic offenses.
(c)At its discretion, the department may reconsider an application subject to subsections (a) or (b) above on the ground that;
1.The conviction has been set aside, pardoned, expunged, or overturned on appeal;
2.The criminal charges were finally resolved in the applicant's favor through acquittal, dismissal, or nolleprosequi; or
3.The applicant has demonstrated significant efforts toward rehabilitation, such that the applicant can be trusted with the care of sick or injured patients, their property, and the equipment and supplies that may be entrusted to him or her.

Georgia office of EMS
Discretion if the offer a license (certification) Check with the state first

Will echo others..Even if the state gives you a cert. you may still have a difficult time finding an agency to hire you.
Some will let you work and not drive, only attend the calls. So you do all the work, until you meet their insurance requirements

Call the state first and see if they will issue a cert/license

Sure this echos some other post, Link to Ga OEMS is includes

Alan L Serve

Forum Captain
My timeframe doesn’t allow that. Long story short, I’m a post bacc going for PA and need PCE. I have always been inspired by the commitment that EMS(when I shadowed) has for their community and want to be apart of that. Due to my recent life choices I have now made my path more difficult. I have three classes left until I graduate and PA programs like the sciences to be within 5 yrs. it looks like my only option left is Medical Assistant:/
My dear friend,
No program will accept DUI
especially this soon
Find another career.

OceanBossMan263

Forum Crew Member
I doubt anyone would be interested right now, at least for an on-the-road position.

In the future, you are still likely to be asked the story of your conviction at interviews. So if you plea to or are convicted of a lower charge, you'll still need to provide details. Best advice I can give in that case is to be honest, own what you did and admit fault, express remorse for the poor decision, and be able to show that you've completed any recommended treatment and also that you've been a model citizen/employee since then.

OP
OP
B

brittbritt

Forum Probie
I doubt anyone would be interested right now, at least for an on-the-road position.

In the future, you are still likely to be asked the story of your conviction at interviews. So if you plea to or are convicted of a lower charge, you'll still need to provide details. Best advice I can give in that case is to be honest, own what you did and admit fault, express remorse for the poor decision, and be able to show that you've completed any recommended treatment and also that you've been a model citizen/employee since then.
Thank you, I’m almost done with recommended treatment and already passed my community hours.

Trauma Cop

Forum Probie
You're going to have a hard time until you get that all worked out. You say your area is harsh on DUIs and they should be. Most of the fatalities that I worked over the years were related to DUIs. In my area, they would hire you if, and only if that was behind you. I know EMTs that have gotten DUIs before and they were still allowed to work, they just couldn't operate an ambulance. You might be able to find a job as an ER tech somewhere but I very seriously doubt that any EMS service is going to take on that liability.