Light or No Lights?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

rob the mexican medic

Forum Probie
If you're already running hot, what does going from Code 2 to Code 3 do? Make you drive with the lights on brighter or with louder siren volume? In all seriousness, that is great that you respond to some 911 calls Code 1.

it means we can drive 10 mph faster. and more importantly it means we can't get re routed when were on a code 3.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
it means we can drive 10 mph faster. and more importantly it means we can't get re routed when were on a code 3.

so code 2 is Lights and siren but you follow the speed limit or speed limit +10 and can get diverted to a higher priority call?

rob the mexican medic

Forum Probie
so code 2 is Lights and siren but you follow the speed limit or speed limit +10 and can get diverted to a higher priority call?

correct . code 2 is lights and sirens but following the speed limit. You can get diverted to another call.

code 3 is lights and sirens and 10 mph over speed limit. You cannot get diverted from a code 3 except in some extreme circumstances.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
correct . code 2 is lights and sirens but following the speed limit. You can get diverted to another call.

code 3 is lights and sirens and 10 mph over speed limit. You cannot get diverted from a code 3 except in some extreme circumstances.

I find this interesting.

My system does not use the code 1,2,3 system.

We use...wait for it... emergency or ambulance only :glare:. The emergency calls are L&S and ambulance only is typically no L&S, sometimes we do go L&S depending on the call notes and the address.

Also, the medic has to tech every call even if someone literally called 911 with no complaint and wanted an ambulance to take them to the hospital. Not the best system with that. Since we are a busy system our medics have gotten very tired of having to tech every call and it gets tiring only being able to drive for 12 hours. Granted most of our medics are nice and let us start IV's, place 4 or 12 leads, give meds, etc.

OP
OP
ZombieEMT

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
So making a patient a Code 3 vs Code 2 means that you can drive recklessly and break state law?

Unfortunately the one agency I work for, we have an expedite term which is when we speed up, dangerours! Also, this same company treats a reduced speed assignment as just slower.

My other agency, expedite does not exist. If going lights and sirens it is assumed you are already going max speed (which is the speed limit). We dont go fast and drive like a maniac if the patient is reported to be in any worse of a condition.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So making a patient a Code 3 vs Code 2 means that you can drive recklessly and break state law?

Unfortunately the one agency I work for, we have an expedite term which is when we speed up, dangerours! Also, this same company treats a reduced speed assignment as just slower.

My other agency, expedite does not exist. If going lights and sirens it is assumed you are already going max speed (which is the speed limit). We dont go fast and drive like a maniac if the patient is reported to be in any worse of a condition.

He may not be breaking state law. It all depends where your at. In CA I believe there is no state law on how fast we can go in code 3 operations (L/S) but company policy is no more than 10mph above the posted limit not to exceed 75mph.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Can you quote where he said this? I can't seem to find it... :unsure:

hobozach

Forum Probie
A| Volunteer Department - We classify and emergency run as something with significant risk of lift, limb or eminent childbirth. Just because someone dials 9-1-1 does not mean that they will get a response with Lights/Sirens. Lights/Sirens is based on report and whether or not significant risk exists. In fact more than often, lights/sirens do not get used. If BLS, no lights/sirens ever in transport, if ALS up to ALS decision. Additionally some calls never get a light/siren response ie anything with stand-by/staging, mental health or lift assist.

If you have a BLS crew you go to the hospital cold on codes, traumas, strokes, ect.? Damn, unless I misunderstand that statement, it looks like your policy needs reviewing.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
If you have a BLS crew you go to the hospital cold on codes, traumas, strokes, ect.? Damn, unless I misunderstand that statement, it looks like your policy needs reviewing.

I would hope everyone ( who actually transport codes) runs no lights and siren for them.(codes)

Last edited by a moderator:

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I would hope everyone ( who actually transport codes) runs no lights and siren for them.(codes)

Everyone out here transports working arrests code 3.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Everyone out here transports working arrests code 3.

Easy. Don't transport working arrests. Full disclosure, I say that nonchalantly, but have a heck of a time actually implementing it where I am.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Easy. Don't transport working arrests. Full disclosure, I say that nonchalantly, but have a heck of a time actually implementing it where I am.

Most medics out here are good about not transporting arrests. However by protocol the only arrest we don't have to transport are asystole or PEA <10 after 2 rounds of meds and no shocks

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
He may not be breaking state law. It all depends where your at. In CA I believe there is no state law on how fast we can go in code 3 operations (L/S) but company policy is no more than 10mph above the posted limit not to exceed 75mph.
Even when going Code 3, you must always drive with due regard for the safety of others. When you're going Code 3, you're the most hazardous/dangerous thing out on the road. Failure to drive with due regard is a very bad thing...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Even when going Code 3, you must always drive with due regard for the safety of others. When you're going Code 3, you're the most hazardous/dangerous thing out on the road. Failure to drive with due regard is a very bad thing...

Yeah I know. I was just pointing out that driving over the speed limit doesn't mean you are breaking a law while driving code.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Yeah I know. I was just pointing out that driving over the speed limit doesn't mean you are breaking a law while driving code.
Just to be certain, there have been a few times when I've had to take an E350 PSD up to where the rpm limiter prevented further acceleration. I wasn't breaking any laws... including "due regard" as it was safe (for others) for me to go that fast at the time. There were many times I've essentially gone with traffic flow because that was safest to do.

Achilles

Forum Moron
I'm sure it's been asked, but does anyone turn their lights off for freeway driving? Unless the accident is there.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm sure it's been asked, but does anyone turn their lights off for freeway driving? Unless the accident is there.

When I worked in Boston I generally did if traffic was moving at faster than I could drive safely. No point in doing 75 in the left lane with the lights on when you're getting passed on the right by people doing 85+.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief

In California, we're required to shut down lights and sirens on the freeway (unless you're responding to an incident on the freeway)

JPINFV

Gadfly
Laminar flow vs turbulent flow. Even the wannabe plumbers should get that one. :D

In California, we're required to shut down lights and sirens on the freeway (unless you're responding to an incident on the freeway)

No... it's just highly highly advised.