Let's talk socks

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
So I feel like I have trialed about every brand sock on the market from Nike, Under Armour, Adidas, Smartwool, etc in search of something that A: doesn't make your feet sweat B: is any color other than white C: stays up most/all of the shift and isn't constantly falling down.

Haven't had a ton of success in finding something that meets those needs, is comfortable, and relatively affordable for socks.

I love smart wool socks, but at 20 dollars a pair they wear out pretty quickly due to being thin wool. Currently wear Under Armour socks as they stay up most of the shift and hold up fairly well, but being a blend sock with some polyester they can stink sometimes. I don't generally have sweaty/stinky feet but do spend 12+ hours in socks and boots like most of you.

Any suggestions or socks you guys really love and why? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I wear Goldtoe PowerSox. My all time favorite. You can get em at Kohl's. The cushion crews are comfortable, stay up all shift and do not make my feet sweat.

I also love REI wool socks. I had a pair of Redback boots that wore through the toe of my REI socks and the lifetime warranty was awesome. Replaced them all a couple of times.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I really enjoy the Darn Tough brand of wool socks. They are great for hiking and they stay up. They are fairly expensive but they have a lifetime warranty.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I bought a bunch of the Kirkland wool socks from Costco. Best thing I've ever done. I've never gotten cold feet on a call again! (Pun intended).

They don't make me sweat, and I can wear them year round. Now that I'm on a colder climate I'll see if they hold up, but so far, so complaints.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I second Darn Tough. I also have smart wool that survived a fire season. I like both.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I wear Goldtoe PowerSox. My all time favorite. You can get em at Kohl's. The cushion crews are comfortable, stay up all shift and do not make my feet sweat.
I don’t use these for work, and I’m kind of back assward because I prefer a good running/ workout sock as opposed to a reliable work sock.

Hands down, these are the most reliable and durable for my ground and pound runs. I’ve done much damage to my shoes, and the PowerSox hold up for years.
I bought a bunch of the Kirkland wool socks from Costco.
Said it before, I’ll say it again- Kirkland brand has yet to disappoint me.

As far as work socks, I’m really not all that picky. They all itch my legs after a while anyhow, which is my ultimate pet peeve.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Said it before, I’ll say it again- Kirkland brand has yet to disappoint me.
many of my dress shirts and polos have been kirkland shirts that I bought at costco. and I am wearing a pair of costco wool socks right now, because they are pretty comfy.

The one thing I will say is make sure you get rid of old sock after they have issues. Many guys (myself included) will keep stuff because it's what they are used to, but once you try out a new pair of socks, they feel soooo much better.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
many of my dress shirts and polos have been kirkland shirts that I bought at costco. and I am wearing a pair of costco wool socks right now, because they are pretty comfy.

The one thing I will say is make sure you get rid of old sock after they have issues. Many guys (myself included) will keep stuff because it's what they are used to, but once you try out a new pair of socks, they feel soooo much better.

I cycle through socks and white shirts once or twice a year and get rid of anything that looks sketchy. White t shirts especially. I don’t have a Costco nearby, so I’ve been deprived of my all time favorite Kirkland heavy white crew neck T-shirts. I need to get a new batch. Nothing is as good.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
you know if you have a membership, you can go to the website and they will ship it to your front door right?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I use Sof Sole Athletic Performance Socks. You can buy them pretty much anywhere. If you have a Shoe Carnival close by, you can get buy one pack of socks, get the second pack half price. So you can get twelve pairs of socks for less than $25. Replace as often as you need to.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
After I got a superficial blood clot in my leg*, I switched to using compression socks. Specifically CEP socks. If you're on Experticity, they're 40% off. Still pricy, but better than clots. They also last a long time.

*Super frustrating because I bike 4000+ miles yearly.

OP
OP
CANMAN

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks for all the input guys! Gonna go grab a few of the suggestions and try them all out. Appreciate it!

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Have a few pairs of Darn Tough and they are nice but expensive. Last time I was at REI they were out of my size so I picked up some WrightSocks that were on sale and I am very happy with them. Similar quality at a better price.