Let's talk socks

OP
OP
CANMAN

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Just ordered some Darn Tough and Gold Toe Powersocks on Amazon, will give both a try and report back what works!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
One year ago, I bit the bullet and bought about 5 different styles of 5.11 socks. Expensive but thus far have proven themselves in a variety of climates and situations. I bought over the calf, mid calf, PT, ankle...bought the wool, the hybrids, tried them all.

And at this point in time, I can say 100% satisfied. They stay up where I put them, they are warm, and most importantly no odor from feet due to sweating.

They are not cheap, but durability wise I think I will absolutely get my money's worth.

I also like how they designed them. For example...the PT and ankle socks have thicker area at back of ankle...and is designed for you to pull there. You know, exactly where you pull every other sock and stretch it out...they plan for it and designed it with that action in mind thereby preserving life of the sock. It also provides more cushion to prevent rubbing on the back ankle.

Anyways... that is my opinion based on personal experience. 5.11 socks.

If you want to talk UNDERWEAR.....well I have been a Duluth fan for years now! :)

OP
OP
CANMAN

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
One year ago, I bit the bullet and bought about 5 different styles of 5.11 socks. Expensive but thus far have proven themselves in a variety of climates and situations. I bought over the calf, mid calf, PT, ankle...bought the wool, the hybrids, tried them all.

And at this point in time, I can say 100% satisfied. They stay up where I put them, they are warm, and most importantly no odor from feet due to sweating.

They are not cheap, but durability wise I think I will absolutely get my money's worth.

I also like how they designed them. For example...the PT and ankle socks have thicker area at back of ankle...and is designed for you to pull there. You know, exactly where you pull every other sock and stretch it out...they plan for it and designed it with that action in mind thereby preserving life of the sock. It also provides more cushion to prevent rubbing on the back ankle.

Anyways... that is my opinion based on personal experience. 5.11 socks.

If you want to talk UNDERWEAR.....well I have been a Duluth fan for years now! :)

I looked at their socks and went to the solo retail store in my area and they had none in stock. Outta the 5 different kinds you have any favorite or do they all fit/have the same characteristics and it's just length differences?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
There’s a 25% off coupon and free shipping at Duluth now. (Love those firehose pants!)

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Both darn Tough and Duluth wool blend socks. I will suffer through rain, snow, brutal heat, ect. But once my feet get uncomfortable, i am out of service. So i am willing to spend more on good socks and boots.

CALEMT

So i am willing to spend more on good socks and boots.

I've been known to say spend money on your boots and your bed, because if you're not in one you're in the other.

OP
OP
CANMAN

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Just to report back have tried both the Powersocks and the Darn Tough. I got a few different pairs of the Dark Tough.

Powersocks: comfortable and breath well but don't stay up at all. The cushioning is nice.

Darn Tough: also comfortable, although the two pairs are very thin cushion and I prefer the mid level cushion ones. None of these stay up either, to include the one OTC pair I got.

I am going to try some 5.11's. Also have come to the realization that maybe my socks don't stay up because I have hairy *** legs, like chewbacca status lol. To date the under armor socks take the cake as far as stay up most of the shift ability, they also just smell the most... ugh

CALEMT

My socks never stay up... its just something I deal with. As a seasonal wearing my smart wool socks I would fold the excess sock over my wildland boots.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
They make uniform stays that connect from your uniform to your socks...

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I have seen ones that connect from your shirt to your socks. this way your socks stay up and your shirt stays tucked in, no matter what position your body is in

OP
OP
CANMAN

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
I have seen ones that connect from your shirt to your socks. this way your socks stay up and your shirt stays tucked in, no matter what position your body is in

Yup shirt stays, that's what Desert was referring to. Same thing the Marines use on their uniforms, but having worn them they aren't the most comfortable, and not wearing them under a flight suit, or my blue pants/teeshirt at the fire department... If I was wearing a class A or more of a dress uniform then they're a go to for sure. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Going to keep trialing different socks for now.

CALEMT

Thats what they're talking about... shirt stays.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
Hey, has anyone heard of shirt stays?