LA County EOAs

eastlossalt

Forum Probie
Where did you hear this?
I heard 2 crews went up to post at 10 and Azusa for west Covina coverage. And than another care crew running in el monte.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Maybe backup coverage? West Covina has 3 paramedic RAs (out of 5 stations), and while they can get busy, they're not exactly super slammed as a department either.

That being said, I may or may not have have been listening to their scanner freq one day when I heard them get 5 calls at once and need backup ambulance but apparently they didn't have a contracted backup provider because their dispatch kept advising they had to call multiple companies to find one that has a sub 20 min eta for a BLS unit, I kept wondering why not call Schaefer or AMR who have 911 units to cover the County areas on all sides, surely those two must have a unit that could get there in less than 10, much less 20 min?? If i remember correctly it was an AMR unit that got the run..
So if they've had backup problems in the past, it'd make sense for them to sign a contract with a specific company to keep a unit available with a X min eta....and it'd def make a lot of sense to sign said contract with one of the companies that already provides 911 response on your borders....and if it's anticipated that both those companies (AMR and Schaefer) would lose those areas to a third (i.e. Care), might as well ink that backup contract wirh that incoming company (and even if they ultimately don't boot Schaefer or AMR out of their areas, it wouldn't be too hard for Care to keep a unit posted in West Covina for backup....

***officially speaking we have those Baofeng radio scanners to monitor County and the other smaller departments we run with, and mine just so happens to be programmed with West Covinas dispatch freq in it, and since it's not uncommon for me to take the 10 home thru West Covina and it's not uncommon per say for a accident to turn that stretch of freeway into a parking lot, after having been caught up in said parking lot one time, if I could listen in and take a detour if one gets toned out before Waze is aware, that would be nice...... </whacked status lol>

Nick15

Forum Crew Member
I heard 2 crews went up to post at 10 and Azusa for west Covina coverage. And than another care crew running in el monte.

That's weird that they have units in El Monte because for the time being that's one of AMR's cities they run in for the contract. We have a total of five 24 hour units between El Monte and south El Monte. Not to mention that there's usually multiple units throughout the day who post at certain spots or one of the two stations we have there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eastlossalt

Forum Probie
The way west Covina is both a wcfd ra and a care unit will respond... if the pt is als the ra takes transports... bls care will transport... is there is no ra available the engine will jump on the care unit.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
The way west Covina is both a wcfd ra and a care unit will respond... if the pt is als the ra takes transports... bls care will transport... is there is no ra available the engine will jump on the care unit.
Typical LA Area waste of resources. We really need to grow up.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, I was going to the West Covina DMV and sure enough, there was a Care unit going somewhere code 3 in town...
to be fair, LA is hardly the only fire based system to have a private BLS respond along with fire medics
Where else is BLS responding with fire medics? LOL LA is laughed at by alot of people outside of it. Vernon uses an engine, a department RA and a private ambulance. I've been in other systems and all are alot superior to LA

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Where else is BLS responding with fire medics? LOL LA is laughed at by alot of people outside of it. Vernon uses an engine, a department RA and a private ambulance. I've been in other systems and all are alot superior to LA

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Seattle and all of King County Washington.

eastlossalt

Forum Probie
Well now it's official official with care getting the eoa

It was approved by 3 to 2 vote. With 2 amendments
1) the Private operations have to acquire a mobile stroke unit...
2) DHS will be closely monitoring the eoa's that care was awarded.

Tony Maximilian

Eternal Optimist
It was approved by 3 to 2 vote. With 2 amendments
1) the Private operations have to acquire a mobile stroke unit...
2) DHS will be closely monitoring the eoa's that care was awarded.

Well, that sucks. I wonder if Schaefer will indeed sue as previously speculated. Also wonder what "closely monitoring" will consist of...

Nick15

Forum Crew Member
It's still for July 1? We are getting told that they have to legally give us 90 days to leave the area. So I think amr and Schaefer would leave mid-September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Uh...yeah. How is the county going to mandate a mobile stroke unit and how is that going to work?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
A mobile strike unit is a GIGANTIC waste of money.
IMG_0394.JPG

You tell him that...