How to buff calls in NYC?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
If anything, I would not be so concerned with FDNY EMS being able to handle call surges, and needing to use the vollies. There are legions of ambulances canvassing the city. I would be much more concerned with a system that uses System Status Management/PUM. They are literally getting by with the bare minimum amount of ambulances as they can get away with deploying, and playing games with historical call volume tp post units where they think a call will drop. I would also be more concerned with systems that contract to the privates, where the 911 units also do IFT in their downtime. It is very tempting for the company to squeeze in some IFT runs, and chance not getting 911 calls. Also, the typical private provider, like a SSM/PUM agency, will deploy the bare minimum of ambulances required due to cost.

In my opinion, barring an earthquake, Tsunami, Hurricane, or riots, the vollies are pretty much irrelevant in the NYC 911 system.

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
" I would also be more concerned with systems that contract to the privates, where the 911 units also do IFT in their downtime. It is very tempting for the company to squeeze in some IFT runs, and chance not getting 911 calls. "

I hear LIJs EMS units do both Txp/IFT & 911

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
The voluntary hospitals, the NYC 911 participating members, have units that are under contract with FDNY, and are given a CSL (post), just like FDNY units. These hospitals basically take the place of FDNY units. What I'm saying is that it would be better to have those hospital units be FDNY units instead. Service delivery is not affected (still the same amount of units), and there is uniform QA/QI, discipline, union regs, platoon schedule, academy training, etc. I'm not sure what you mean by saying (that I'm saying) that a further away ambulance would be responding, and endangering the welfare of a patient.

I worked for a hospital that really had its act together, great providers, and was militant with it's QA/QI. I really enjoyed working there, but this firemedic position was much better for my family and I, rather than sitting on street corners for 35-40 yrs (403b, no pension), with an extremely high cost of living. I also worked per diem for a few other hospitals, and observed it to be a mixed bag, very inconsistent KSA's of their EMT's and medics, and the work ethic varied widely as well. Some were per diem, and worked full time elsewhere, so they didn't much care if they got caught doing something unscrupulous. I feel that it is better to have just one agency provide EMS for an area. Volunteers can enjoy a greater degree of latitude with negligence and offenses where career people would get nailed to the cross, because they're volunteering. I've seen it in several states that I've worked previously.

Essentially what I am saying is, the more the merrier.

If we have FDNY units added in lieu of the hospital EMS units, but then kept the hospital units too, we'd have so many good resources.

What I'm saying is that if a volunteer is willing to take calls, use him. It's just more units for the EMS system to use as it sees fit

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
Essentially what I am saying is, the more the merrier.

If we have FDNY units added in lieu of the hospital EMS units, but then kept the hospital units too, we'd have so many good resources.

What I'm saying is that if a volunteer is willing to take calls, use him. It's just more units for the EMS system to use as it sees fit

So assuming the FDNY forms a relationship with volunteer agencies and "uses them" to augment their current force, how can the FDNY ensure consistent and uniform service between its own people and the volunteer agencies? How can they ensure that the volunteer agencies are properly staffed, supplied, and have appropriate documentation and QI?

The FDNY has too much to lose if a lack of standards in the volunteer agencies causes trouble. The City of New York is a big target for lawsuit. If something goes wrong I can guarantee you lawyers will be looking into getting some dough out of the city (in a sort of guilty by association way).

To say that the quality of care or the quality of service is the same because the providers all went through the same training program is ridiculous to me. I personally know a few people, and I'm sure you do too, who got their EMT cert but are absolutely terrible EMTs. Just because I have a card stating that I met the requirements doesn't mean that I am truly competent. True competency comes through experience and further training.

What you have to understand is that the real world is NOT about efficiency. While it may seem that using volunteers to augment the current system is more efficient, the people in charge don't give a damn. Efficiency is kicked out the door in favor of cost effectiveness and reduced liability every time.

In the end, the fact is simple. The FDNY currently does not regularly use volunteers, despite their eagerness and willingness to help, and it seems that there are no plans to do so in the future (unless I am mistaken). When you "buff" a call, you're showing up uninvited. No one called you. You just showed up to the Wedding without an invite and are helping yourself to some cake. A total douche move regardless of where you are from. As many have said so far, get a real hobby. I don't post long winded rants like this normally, but congratulations, this topic and its twin really got to me. Someone once asked what the definition of a "whacker" was....well I think I've found it.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
8. Every Sunday morning I will go out to the driveway and test my POVs lights and sirens. I will not be that guy with malfunctioning lights! Who says you have to go to church to be religious about something?!

LMFAO... I laughed so hard, Captain Crunch is all over my desk now. That is the funniest thing I've heard in a while. Dying... I can't believe this thread is a real 5 page thing...

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Just gotta love all the different EMS slang/lingo that varies around the USA.

Maybe you want to sit around doing nothing, but I didn't get into EMS to sit on my ***. I need action!
HAHHAAHAHAHA.... I don't think I can read any further....

Jebus Criminy.....

Oh, to be young again.

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
FDNY does use some maybe not all vollies in rare events such as disasters, snowstorms, etc you will note some vollies having the "FDNY 911 Participating Member" logo on their doors and they even have a radio designation.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
" I would also be more concerned with systems that contract to the privates, where the 911 units also do IFT in their downtime. It is very tempting for the company to squeeze in some IFT runs, and chance not getting 911 calls. "

I hear LIJs EMS units do both Txp/IFT & 911

Units are dedicated to either 911 or IFT, and never mix. 911 units do not go OOS unless they go down mechanical. I was pulled from IFT occasionally to staff a 911 unit due to someone calling out sick.

When I worked there, I did two 12hr tours on 46Y and two 8hr IFT shifts every week.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
"Do yourself a favor and stop talking. You have literally not said one thing that makes sense."

I am merely one of hundreds of volly members who buff on the regular in NYC. All I wanted was how to do it better plain and simple. Once I'm in 911, I'm out of the whole volly gig. It feels like **** to be 2nd on scene knowing that technically I dont really belong there.
That feeling is sin and you are sinning.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
FDNY does use some maybe not all vollies in rare events such as disasters, snowstorms, etc you will note some vollies having the "FDNY 911 Participating Member" logo on their doors and they even have a radio designation.
And that is still a far cry from "buffing calls" .... don't try to mix the two.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
And that is still a far cry from "buffing calls" .... don't try to mix the two.

Those units are rarely called into 911

But they are 911 participants, which means they can legally jump the call and once on scene cancel FDNY.

Source: the internal radio protocols of a particular volly agency, which I managed to obtain.

Yea...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Those units are rarely called into 911

But they are 911 participants, which means they can legally jump the call and once on scene cancel FDNY.

Source: the internal radio protocols of a particular volly agency, which I managed to obtain.

Yea...
I highly doubt there is anything to allow an ambulance not dispatched to a call to show up instead and then cancel the AHJ. How would that be efficient?

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
If anyone is interested in the radio protocols I found for the volunteer agency in New York, let me know and I'll message them. Perhaps I'm interpreting something wrong from them.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
If anyone is interested in the radio protocols I found for the volunteer agency in New York, let me know and I'll message them. Perhaps I'm interpreting something wrong from them.
Why not just post a link? If they're publicly available anyway this allows anyone interested to see them.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
Meaning that they again have no use to the EMS system.

The inefficient part is having an FDNY ambulance respond from central, get almost on scene, and then have themselves cancelled by the volunteer.