How to buff calls in NYC?

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
Since the hospital EMS "voluntarily" participate in the 911 system and are sent to calls, I think the best bet would be for volunteer agencies to demonstrate a high quality service and then ask to be extended the same courtesy.

I suppose the key point of contention is whether they would actually be able to demonstrate a superior quality service. In the name of volunteers everywhere, I certainly hope so.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
AdamNYC, It sounds like you need a hobby. Jumping 911 calls is not a hobby. I enjoy dirt bike riding and hunting as a reprieve from work. Granted hunting in NYC is not really an option unless your hunting hookers like in American Physco and that might be your thing for all I know. I digress though and offer my insight. You will probably not be happy with EMS unless you leave NYC and go work for a real 911 system. I average 25-45 min response times running code to a call in rural america. Then another 45 mins to level 4 trama center. We fly most things out if need be. You need to find a system like this that will give you that "fix". Granted after a month you will probably wish you never had to run 911 again. We gets lots of burn put down here being its not for everyone.

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
I'm gaining valuable experience that will benefit me in FDNY EMS and/or NYC Hospital EMS

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
But they certainly don't need any fluid, right? Or an Epi Drip? Benadryl? Maybe a surgical airway when it goes sideways? Nah. That's silly. Throw 'em in a BLS truck and drive to the hospital.
well, EMTs can give benedryl too.... and I would wager your entire 2015 salary that your performed less than 2 surgical airways last year. Probably a safe bet that your entire agency did less than 25 since January 1. But it's a great straw man argument.
But if they can't swallow, they're SOL? That whole thing with D50 or Glucagon is silly. Throw 'em in a BLS truck and drive to the hospital.
Didn't say that, but nice try. I love D50 and Glucagon. Great for waking up unconscious diabetics. But not ever diabetic call gets D50 or glucagon. But absolutely, send the paramedics on those calls where the patient can't swallow or isn't alert.
If you don't understand that a truly septic patient will require large bore access, a significant amount of fluid and may need pressors, well, that's a deficiency in your education. POC lactate to help rule in sepis anyone? Screw that. Throw 'em in a BLS truck and drive to the hospital.
Actually, I understand that probably better than you, enough to understand that while the septic patient will need large bore access, the amount of fluid you put in will only be a fraction of what the patient needs. And last I checked, most EMS agencies can't run labs in the field.
Benzos? Yeah. I use those for stimulant ODs. Should I mention tricyclic ODs? Or Organophosphate poisoning? Or suspected or known cyanide poisoning? How about a kid who eats Grandma's beta blockers? I carry stuff for all of that. But you believe that someone should just throw 'em in a BLS truck and drive to the hospital.
ok, lets be real: how often have you given sodium bicarb for tricyclic poisoning? or atropine for organophospate poisoning? Not saying you don't carry that stuff, but how often do you actually use it?
What happens when that narcan wears off and you realize that they had been given a boatload of opoid to counteract the crazy bath salt/cocaine reaction. Oh I know. Throw 'em in a BLS truck and drive to the hospital.
well, if you don't know the difference between an opoid OD and a bath salt one, than you have bigger issues at hand.

The data (you know, the whole evidence based medicine concept) supports a tiered response EMS system, and says mortality is better when you don't have an all paramedic system. You can straw man argument all you want, but at the end of the day, what evidence do you have to support your opinion?