How old were you?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
How old were you when you knew that you wanted to be an EMT? For me, I've always loved watching that one show on discovery health where a camera crew follows around EMT's and Paramedics ala Cops and Third Watch... So I've been wanting to do it since I've been pretty young... Can't give an exact age.

What about you guys?

imurphy

Forum Captain
Interesting question.

Well I think when I saw my first roll over when I was 8 I thought "Wow. I want to be one of those guys"

Then, the capilitist in me came out and I went for the money becoming a computer tech (just before the boom no less!)

Then when I was 23 I decided money isn't everything, you have to love what you do, so became an EMT

So the short answer to my long winded reply is first wanted to be when I was 8, then really wanted to be when I was 23!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
I was on a construction site when I was 18 working in the field of engineering, we were setting the construction of a road while right next to us there were a crew of framers building a model home. It was a very windy day an they went to raise a wall and it collapsed on one of the framers. Of course everyone ran to his aid and we had an ambulance there in but a few minutes. They worked on him and I thought that is seemed like a pretty interesting job. The framer suffered a concussion and a few broken ribs and a shoulder injury of some sort. But the Paramedics had him up and off to the hospital before you knew what was going on almost.that was when I first found interest in the job.

I had a cousin who lived in a rural area and she was in a single vehicle MVA and suffer severe head trauma, it was a 30 minute response time for the ambulance and unfortunately she passed away, but the doctors told us if they could have gotten to her sooner they were sure she would have had a real fighting chance at survival.

That also got me interested in EMS. Then I realised after a dozen years as an Engineering Technician, that over the past dozen years I really haven't done much, meaning my life at least through my profession has not left it's mark on this world. All I have to show for my engineering career is some plans of survey and pavement where there didn't used to be. I just want to make my mark. I am hoping that by pursuing a career in EMS I may be able to help a person now and then and maybe feel a little more fulfilled in my career.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
The first time I saw these guys on TV when I was 13 nailed it for me, but I had been interested in being a policeman (they did the ambulance work in my hometown of Lakewood, Ohio when I was but a wee lad) since age 10 or so. Our "emergency medical services" back then was a non-modified Pontiac station wagon with a stretcher bracket bolted to the floor, a portable O2 tank, and a first aid kit. No high-roof, no jump seat, nuthin'. I don't think we got our first van-style unit until the mid-70's or so when the hospital took over EMS

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Rampart, This is squad 51!

Tin You Rock!! I was 12 years old and my mom was a R.N. That is when my love affair began with EMS!!! :wub::wub::wub:

KMG365! WOOT! WOOT! B)

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Paging Vent Medic!!!! How old were you when you got "bit by the ems bug?? B)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
It was around the age of 12. I used to watch the Cadillac ambulances ripping down the sand roads as a kid. They were truly an impressive site in the old photos of their response to the Eastern Airlines crash in the Everglades 36 years ago. Hearing how that rescue played out and the role of the many ambulance personnel as well as all of the other sevices that responded got me interested.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I was 5 years old, when I decided I wanted to be a Dr. in a ambulance. There were no such things as an EMT then. My parents personal friend was a surgeon and he used to take me on rounds when I about 8 thinking it was cute.

My sister dated a EMT (one of the first ones) and he gave me a "Orange Book" (ACOS EMT first edition) and I memorized it from cover to cover. When I became 14 I started working in the ER through Medical Explorers. By the time I was 16 Johnny and Roy had came out. It was at that time, I knew what I wanted to be. I had finished my Paramedic course by the time I was 17. I then took my EMT later (yeah it was backwards). Yeah, I lied to NREMT about my age, I was not 18. At that time NREMT had no Paramedic level and did not until I was nearly through college (until the early 80's)

I worked my fist code at 16 after school (H.S.) with another individual. Ironically he too became a Paramedic and now is a Board Certified ER physician.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
I always knew I wanted to do something with medicine. When I was a little kid, I told everyone I wanted to be a doctor. That was the path I was on as late as high school. Unfortunately, finding myself on the streets at 15 was not conducive to obtaining a higher education. I worked 25 years as a self employed systems consultant. I hated the last 10 years but d*** I was making lots of money. I spent that decade trying to fix it and finally retired. I then took a couple of years trying to figure out what I wanted to do. I am crazy enough that if I still wanted to be a doctor I would have gone to med school. As it is, I really think it is the crummiest job imaginable and couldn't imagine doing it. I had this wild hair that paramedic would be kinda cool so I jumped through the hoops and here I am. I turned 50 my last semester in medic school and so far I absolutely love this job. I want to keep learning about medicine tho so I am poised to go into a bridge program for RN. I don't want to work anywhere but on an ambulance but I want the education.

Now, aren't you sorry you asked? ^_^

paccookie

Forum Lieutenant
Hmm...I can remember reading my mom's paramedic books when I was about 9. I took one of them to school once and completely grossed out my friends. LOL I decided to go to EMT school when I was 26, finished at 27, decided to go to medic school at 28 and will finish at 29.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
Uhoh forum hijack, paccokie I guess you are going to school with one of my EMT classmates from Turner EMS.

I wanted to be in law enforcment since age 5 growing I seen that I could not do LE til 21, So I began to think Fire/EMS, I began as a volunteer FF at 16, Went to EMT school at 20, Will be starting Medic school in april, I have also just recently done my SWAT medic and want to get POST certified after medic.

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
I was about 5 or 6 when I dreamed of becoming an EMT....but was 34 when I decided to finally make it a reality. I'll be closing in on 36 by the time I get my license, but who's counting? I'm still young enough, smart enough, tough enough, and doggonit people like me :p

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Well im still dreaming about it not a reality yet. I was 12 or some thing when i did my level 2 first aid and i loved it and now i just completed my level 3 (at 16) and wanting to do more like padi rescue course and BLS, ITLS, high angle 1&2 rescue. I want to prepare my self for the trauma i will come to face in my home town Johannesburg, South Africa. Average day for a Provincial ambo. +- 15-20 calls in 12 hours.(some times more)

aidan

Forum Crew Member
How old were you when you knew that you wanted to be an EMT? For me, I've always loved watching that one show on discovery health where a camera crew follows around EMT's and Paramedics ala Cops and Third Watch... So I've been wanting to do it since I've been pretty young... Can't give an exact age.

What about you guys?

I think I was about..16. I've always wanted to be a physician (and still do), and actually got into EMS to get patient experience and a grip on prehospital emergency medicine.

Now, I've decided to take a year off pre-med college and go to medic school, and then matriculate into medical school once I'm a paramedic.

gillysaurus

Forum Lieutenant
^ You and me both, Aidan! Let me know how the paramedic to medical school thing works for you, because I hear it's harder than just busting through those 4 years of undergrad and the MCAT with no patient contact experience. But that also may be the nay-sayers in my area, too :p

I didn't want to be an EMT until a month into my EMT-Basic internship after I'd gotten my cert. It was the first call I successfully attended by myself without realizing it. I finally felt comfortable enough to treat a straight forward BLS patient from start to finish without having to cling to my paramedic like a little monkey the whole time, and it was a great feeling.

Initially I just got my cert out of wanting to find practical applications for the pre-med stuff I'd been learning. Didn't think I'd actually like it!

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
I never caught the EMS bug until I was in my first EMT class at the age of 21. I found that I grasped much of the material very easy having taken college level biology and A&P, and enjoyed the challenge of assessing patients and arriving at a differential diagnosis. I was sort of turned off from EMS initially having lived in a small town and only having a volunteer ambulance to respond locally. The people who responded on the ambulance turned me off completely (think super wackers with jeans and work boots - nothing against them, but not what I imagined myself doing) and it wasn't until doing ride time in an urban environment with professionals that I understood what EMS should be.

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
wats your fondest memories of medic school and those first insperational call?

aidan

Forum Crew Member
^ You and me both, Aidan! Let me know how the paramedic to medical school thing works for you, because I hear it's harder than just busting through those 4 years of undergrad and the MCAT with no patient contact experience. But that also may be the nay-sayers in my area, too :p

I didn't want to be an EMT until a month into my EMT-Basic internship after I'd gotten my cert. It was the first call I successfully attended by myself without realizing it. I finally felt comfortable enough to treat a straight forward BLS patient from start to finish without having to cling to my paramedic like a little monkey the whole time, and it was a great feeling.

Initially I just got my cert out of wanting to find practical applications for the pre-med stuff I'd been learning. Didn't think I'd actually like it!

Honestly, that's exactly why I got into an EMT class also. People tell you it's harder? Really? Hmm. I know a couple of EM physicians that were paramedics prior to med school, and they all said being a medic helped them a lot and made them a better doctor.

Plus, during clinicals in med school, they had a huge initial edge over their peers (in terms of being able to get IVs like a pro, take vitals quickly, and intubating, etc.)

I'm sure trying to go to medic school and taking pre-med classes at the same time would be hard.. actually, extremely hard. I'm not even going to try.. lol, just taking a year off from my pre-med curriculum when I go into medic school. The only thing that I'm going to hate, is that I've already taken most of my upper div sciences classes (the ones on the MCAT), and having taken a break from those types of classes for a year, it's going to be especially annoying to start studying for the MCAT.

Now, though, I can see myself still being in EMS in the future, even during and after med school. And, while I know it's mostly irrational to make decisions on specialty before med school, I'm skeptical that anything other than EM will keep me satisfied :p. I really like the idea of being a pre-hospital EM MD.