HALL AMBULANCE

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Starting is around $15/hr with daily overtime and no union dues however I've talked to some new hires who said they were able to negotiate higher due to the shortage (haven't been able to get an exact amount from them). I think just our division is short 13 medics currently and we are loosing 2 more.

Meanwhile we have a overabundance of EMT's. Hopefully with Desert Trip around the corner some of those medic spots can be filled.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Here is my take on Hall Ambulance, I hope this helps.

This is a great company to work for, this is not a prompt, nor am I someone who has anything to gain financially from saying so.
I have worked for a handful of other agencies in, and around Southern California before relocating here with my family. While like anywhere there are pros and cons, the company itself is funded by, and ran by the most genuinely invested owner I have ever known and met. What the man says, he means. Again, these are simple facts, not anything anyone had prompted me to say.

Can you make a career out of it? Sure, you can make a "career" just about anywhere. There is always opportunity for growth in the company, and they acknowledge those deserving of such promotions. It is Bakersfield, it is hot, it isn't the cool coastal breezes I grew up with, but it's also an opportunity to put your skill set as both a basic, and a paramedic to full on use.

The departments here are like nowhere else in California I have ever worked, trained in, or been around. I would estimate ~90% if not more of the fire guys are there to truly help you (there's knuckleheads anywhere you go).

Again, it's not all gum drops and lollipops, we are a private FOR PROFIT company, so there's always setbacks, pressure, and stress, but hey it is a job after all; this is anywhere you go be it public, private, or anything in between.

As a basic I personally enjoyed my time in LA County back when AMR had the true monopoly (those were some very fun times), and believe it or not, there were a handful of guys down there that I would trust with my life as well. I think that system at times is hampered by so much politics, but I am not here to go off on a tangent, or beat a dead horse. It too deserves more credit than is given, and just like ANY system it has good and bad EMT's, and paramedics. I simply want to point what it is I have been given by coming here, and that is new life into an otherwise dwindling EMS career.

The paramedic scholarship is by far nothing short of remarkable. Some of our sponsored guys came to get their books the other day from our station, and I remember being blown away at how it is all fully paid for (books, tuition, clinical, etc.)

All n all we're a pretty lucky bunch in this part of a state that is saturated with systems that do the bare minimum to get by (again, not saying our system is perfect). My advice to anyone looking to seek gainful employment here is have your head on straight, don't BS the bosses, don't pretend to be something you are not, and simply do your job; remember they want "career-minded" individuals.

Hope this helps...

Here is my take on Hall Ambulance, I hope this helps.

This is a great company to work for, this is not a prompt, nor am I someone who has anything to gain financially from saying so.
I have worked for a handful of other agencies in, and around Southern California before relocating here with my family. While like anywhere there are pros and cons, the company itself is funded by, and ran by the most genuinely invested owner I have ever known and met. What the man says, he means. Again, these are simple facts, not anything anyone had prompted me to say.

Can you make a career out of it? Sure, you can make a "career" just about anywhere. There is always opportunity for growth in the company, and they acknowledge those deserving of such promotions. It is Bakersfield, it is hot, it isn't the cool coastal breezes I grew up with, but it's also an opportunity to put your skill set as both a basic, and a paramedic to full on use.

The departments here are like nowhere else in California I have ever worked, trained in, or been around. I would estimate ~90% if not more of the fire guys are there to truly help you (there's knuckleheads anywhere you go).

Again, it's not all gum drops and lollipops, we are a private FOR PROFIT company, so there's always setbacks, pressure, and stress, but hey it is a job after all; this is anywhere you go be it public, private, or anything in between.

As a basic I personally enjoyed my time in LA County back when AMR had the true monopoly (those were some very fun times), and believe it or not, there were a handful of guys down there that I would trust with my life as well. I think that system at times is hampered by so much politics, but I am not here to go off on a tangent, or beat a dead horse. It too deserves more credit than is given, and just like ANY system it has good and bad EMT's, and paramedics. I simply want to point what it is I have been given by coming here, and that is new life into an otherwise dwindling EMS career.

The paramedic scholarship is by far nothing short of remarkable. Some of our sponsored guys came to get their books the other day from our station, and I remember being blown away at how it is all fully paid for (books, tuition, clinical, etc.)

All n all we're a pretty lucky bunch in this part of a state that is saturated with systems that do the bare minimum to get by (again, not saying our system is perfect). My advice to anyone looking to seek gainful employment here is have your head on straight, don't BS the bosses, don't pretend to be something you are not, and simply do your job; remember they want "career-minded" individuals.

Hope this helps...
What VentMonkey said is spot on, and I can also back up his testimony. Working as an EMT at Hall allowed me to gain valuable experience that I wouldn't have gained had I stayed an working in the SoCal EMS system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DWemt28

Forum Crew Member
Is there a time commitment in which you have to work for them as a medic if they put you through school?

rreed056

Forum Probie
Hello all,

Tried looking for an accurate "hiring time-line" but found posts from years and years back. So far from lurking, Hall seems like a great place to work and everyone that contributes to the thread is more than helpful with information. I recently just got out of the military and applied for the upcoming Hall EMT Academy for Jan 2017. After submitting my application when should I expect to hear something from Hall or should I just call in to show my interest?

I know the hiring process is different from someone who already holds an EMT Cert, but what can I expect? Interview, some sort of physical test, and written test for the academy? Thanks for any info!

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello all,

Tried looking for an accurate "hiring time-line" but found posts from years and years back. So far from lurking, Hall seems like a great place to work and everyone that contributes to the thread is more than helpful with information. I recently just got our of the military and applied for the upcoming Hall EMT Academy for Jan 2017. After submitting my application when should I expect to hear something from Hall or should I just call in to show my interest?

I know the hiring process is different from someone who already holds an EMT Cert, but what can I expect? Interview, some sort of physical test, and written test for the academy? Thanks for any info!
Ask VentMonkey or Codebru. They have all the Hall info.
Thank you for your service.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello all,

Tried looking for an accurate "hiring time-line" but found posts from years and years back. So far from lurking, Hall seems like a great place to work and everyone that contributes to the thread is more than helpful with information. I recently just got out of the military and applied for the upcoming Hall EMT Academy for Jan 2017. After submitting my application when should I expect to hear something from Hall or should I just call in to show my interest?

As you said, academy employment is different. EMT and paramedic hires get phone calls with days, academy students generally don't get call backs until it's time to fill the class, and the next class is in January. Expect a phone call near the end of year holidays.

You will do 2 interviews, a ride along and pre-employment physical testing. There has also been a pre-employment written exam too, but it doesn't contain EMT information, just basic knowledge information. You're not expected to know any medical info prior to getting hired.

You will be required to pass a physical exam, a medical examiner's test, and a drug screen.

Hope you join us at Hall.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

rreed056

Forum Probie

Thanks! Appreciate the leads, still trying to navigate through the site.

As you said, academy employment is different. EMT and paramedic hires get phone calls with days, academy students generally don't get call backs until it's time to fill the class, and the next class is in January. Expect a phone call near the end of year holidays.

You will do 2 interviews, a ride along and pre-employment physical testing. There has also been a pre-employment written exam too, but it doesn't contain EMT information, just basic knowledge information. You're not expected to know any medical info prior to getting hired.

You will be required to pass a physical exam, a medical examiner's test, and a drug screen.

Hope you join us at Hall.

Awesome info, I appreciate it. Sucks the process is longer for the academy but its understandable, I just like to be on top of stuff and hate waiting! How will the interview differ from someone applying to an EMT position? I've read they ask a lot of this or that questions but could not find any on the Academy applicants questions.

Any tips you recommend during the hiring process? Really interested in this career field, I always enjoyed our combat life saving courses while on active duty.

Thanks for all the info and fast responses!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hello all,

PM me.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks! Appreciate the leads, still trying to navigate through the site.

Awesome info, I appreciate it. Sucks the process is longer for the academy but its understandable, I just like to be on top of stuff and hate waiting! How will the interview differ from someone applying to an EMT position? I've read they ask a lot of this or that questions but could not find any on the Academy applicants questions.

Any tips you recommend during the hiring process? Really interested in this career field, I always enjoyed our combat life saving courses while on active duty.

Thanks for all the info and fast responses!

The application process is longer only because no one gets contacted until the hiring closes, where as EMT and paramedic are continuous.

The interview will not differ. The interview also does not lean on medical knowledge, more personal and professional traits. They ask questions about you being a leader, you facing adversity, etc.

Our company prides itself on being a professional employer, not a stepping stone to your next big thing. Humility and respect go a long way here because we have a lot of people who have been around for a LONG time. We still employ one of the first licensed California paramedics, although he's not in the field anymore. We also tend to do things a specific way. We call it "the Hall way." 90% of the things in this category have a purpose and a reason behind them, even if it's not readily apparent.

rreed056

Forum Probie
The application process is longer only because no one gets contacted until the hiring closes, where as EMT and paramedic are continuous.

The interview will not differ. The interview also does not lean on medical knowledge, more personal and professional traits. They ask questions about you being a leader, you facing adversity, etc.

Our company prides itself on being a professional employer, not a stepping stone to your next big thing. Humility and respect go a long way here because we have a lot of people who have been around for a LONG time. We still employ one of the first licensed California paramedics, although he's not in the field anymore. We also tend to do things a specific way. We call it "the Hall way." 90% of the things in this category have a purpose and a reason behind them, even if it's not readily apparent.

Thanks for the advice, looking forward to the hiring process. I'll just be checking my email and waiting for a reply :)

Don't forget NPO as he's pretty knowledgeable too.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I might need to put in for reciprocity, it seems the world has lost it's mind..

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I might need to put in for reciprocity, it seems the world has lost it's mind..

You wouldn't be happy going from where you're at now to practicing in California. Even at the most progressive agency in the state.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
You wouldn't be happy going from where you're at now to practicing in California. Even at the most aggressive agency in the state.

Fixed it. I don't think California EMS as a whole is deserving of the word progressive; by no means is this the fault of ours, or any agency's here.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I'm honestly worried about some of the federal and state policies that I suspect are coming down the pike in the future.

rreed056

Forum Probie
Just got a follow up e-mail stating to take the Behavioral Assessment Test. Finished it fairly quick, the personality questions were very easy to answer considering they pretty much matched myself. I followed some advice from the forum and only used the Strongly Disagree or Strongly Agree answers. Just waiting for the next step now :rolleyes:.