HALL AMBULANCE

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
No hat would be a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We wake up looking spectacular. It's company policy.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

This is why I have little to no hair... much easier to look spectacular! :)

Not to mention the incredible savings on hair products.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

rreed056

Forum Probie
So I just got back from the Hall Ambulance Orientation, most of the information that was covered is word for word this thread which I got a kick out of. Overall I had a good time and I appreciated Johnathan Surface giving us a real down and dirty of the pros and cons about EMS and Hall Ambulance.

The biggest concern I had was the Basic Skills Test just because it determines if you get an interview or not. When we got the test it didn't seem to hard but man oh man was it fast. Some portions I didn't even complete because the time limits where so fast! Overall I think I did decent on it and guessed on the ones I did not have time to complete. The tests will be graded tomorrow and I am hoping that it will update on the dashboard and say I passed lol. Just wanted to thank you guys again for all the real and accurate information on this site, it really is a valuable resource.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Got the interview! Going in on Monday, if all goes well I'll be on the ride along soon
Congrats. I am just going to drop this as a general thing, as it pertains to Kern County as a whole. Oftentimes I see people saying how "that's how it should be", or "better than L.A. County" etc. in reference to this county vs. SoCal. Look, let us all get one thing straight: It doesn't matter where you work, you need to go in knowing that all first responders, even here, will most likely need to earn your trust and respect.

I cannot stand when people have that sense of arrogant entitlement because the fire department here is not "paramedic-level" providers. We all work together! Even law enforcement. Don't come in assuming that they're at your beck, and call...EVER. I have had this discussion with many anew cocky and condescending paramedic interns/ trainees. They need to see that they can trust your assessment, your judgement, your medicine. They are not going to, nor should not, assume because you have an ambulance, or are a paramedic, are the best thing since sliced toast. A lot of these folks are or were paramedics, many before I even moved here, others I have worked alongside of as fellow paramedics, and if they were still allowed to practice at that level, I would want some of them to take care of me and my family.

This is just a general statement for anyone in general who wants to come to Kern County from say, SoCal, but has these false ideas in their head that fire "does what we say", NO! And anyone that believes so is very much misinformed, and has no business here, IMO. I had to earn all of their respect, why shouldn't anyone else? Any why shouldn't we ALL have to?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
This is just a general statement for anyone in general who wants to come to Kern County from say, SoCal, but has these false ideas in their head that fire "does what we say", NO! And anyone that believes so is very much misinformed, and has no business here, IMO. I had to earn all of their respect, why shouldn't anyone else? Any why shouldn't we ALL have to?
Depending on what area I am responding to, fire calls the shots until we are transporting (think MVC, cardiac arrest). That being said, I haven't had any conflicts of opinion (yet?). By the time I arrive, they are usually ready to help us pack em up and get rolling however we need help in doing so. Other times we are in charge of the scene, it just depends on the area we are in. Agree with all you said though.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Depending on what area I am responding to, fire calls the shots until we are transporting (think MVC, cardiac arrest). That being said, I haven't had any conflicts of opinion (yet?). By the time I arrive, they are usually ready to help us pack em up and get rolling however we need help in doing so. Other times we are in charge of the scene, it just depends on the area we are in. Agree with all you said though.
The dividing line between these two counties may as well be worlds apart and is quite literally the "shoe on the other foot", "apples and oranges" and so on.

From time to time we will get new hires that see fire as "less than them" because they are "the paramedic in charge". It's a bunch of hogwash. I was once told, and firmly believe the best paramedic could run a code from the corner of the room while orchestrating and call without lifting a finger, granted this isn't literally the case here, but nonetheless...

My whole purpose of that particular post (rant) is so that any would be employee coming from out of county doesn't get mislead by what is actually a huge responsibility often thrust upon rather immature providers who can't handle it the way it should be, or don't; others do just fine.

I really don't think people realize the accountability it entails. Yes, you are backed for making the right medical decision more often than not, but you must also realize that you're also held to that standard, so don't go pissing and moaning when you're held to it (another conversation for another thread).

I don't buy into the whole "I heard" game with that kind of stuff, and know that those really interested in cold hard facts about our "cult";) can just PM me.

@StCEMT it's no way directed at you or anyone specifically, merely truths I have learned. Bottom line, like anywhere you need to prove yourself worthy of others respect.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
The dividing line between these two counties may as well be worlds apart and is quite literally the "shoe on the other foot", "apples and oranges" and so on.

From time to time we will get new hires that see fire as "less than them" because they are "the paramedic in charge". It's a bunch of hogwash. I was once told, and firmly believe the best paramedic could run a code from the corner of the room while orchestrating and call without lifting a finger, granted this isn't literally the case here, but nonetheless...

My whole purpose of that particular post (rant) is so that any would be employee coming from out of county doesn't get mislead by what is actually a huge responsibility often thrust upon rather immature providers who can't handle it the way it should be, or don't; others do just fine.

I really don't think people realize the accountability it entails. Yes, you are backed for making the right medical decision more often than not, but you must also realize that you're also held to that standard, so don't go pissing and moaning when you're held to it (another conversation for another thread).

I don't buy into the whole "I heard" game with that kind of stuff, and know that those really interested in cold hard facts about our "cult";) can just PM me.

@StCEMT it's no way directed at you or anyone specifically, merely truths I have learned. Bottom line, like anywhere you need to prove yourself worthy of others respect.
Never understood why people get that mindset, don't **** where you eat. If you want their help, its best to at least act like it. I would agree on that as well, I have seen or know others who have, some sloppy codes by those calling the shots.

Didn't take it to be directed at me, that's something we can both agree on. I just sum it up as "don't be a ****head" :p

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
If you want their help, its best to at least act like it.

Funny that this is mentioned because a certain fire Captain or Engineer could've/ should've acted like this.

The wheel turns both ways. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Funny that this is mentioned because a certain fire Captain or Engineer could've/ should've acted like this.

The wheel turns both ways. That's all I'm gonna say about that.
No doubt, brother...no doubt.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
No doubt, brother...no doubt.

Easily the most PO'd I've been at anyone involved in public safety. The level of unprofessionalism directed at me and my partner was asinine. Oh and also the real crime is it took away my partners attention to patient care.

This goes to everyone, not just the Kern Co. Cult. Respect is earned not given, yet a little respect goes a long way. This is a team even, not a one man show. You're not all high and mighty just because you wear a fire patch. I know, I've been there and done that. Still have my fire dept uniforms in my closet. Never in both fire and ems have I ever disprespected someone and I take as a insult, not to me (it's water off a ducks back for me) but to the patient. There is a time and place for discussions and on scene in the back of the rig in front of a patient is not the time and place. Rant over.

rreed056

Forum Probie
Just an update for anyone else in the process. Had my interview today and was told they want me on a ride along. Just waiting for the call to scheduale .

Applied: 11/07/2016
Behavioral Assessment Test: Received & Completed 11/09/2016
Orientation: 11/29/2016
Interview: 12/05/2016
Ride Along: TBD

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Just an update for anyone else in the process. Had my interview today and was told they want me on a ride along. Just waiting for the call to scheduale .

Applied: 11/07/2016
Behavioral Assessment Test: Received & Completed 11/09/2016
Orientation: 11/29/2016
Interview: 12/05/2016
Ride Along: TBD
Waiver: card subject to change.

The timeline may very from academy to academy, employee to employee, supply and demand or a number of other variables.

Cool though, nice job.

rreed056

Forum Probie
Waiver: card subject to change.

The timeline may very from academy to academy, employee to employee, supply and demand or a number of other variables.

Cool though, nice job.

Thanks! Very true, from my understanding we were the last orientation to go through for this academy. I imagine this somewhat speeds up the process to get seen or looked at before they make any decisions.

rreed056

Forum Probie
So... had my ride along today and it was awesome! The crew I had couldn't have been better. They were able answer all my random questions, let me know what they were doing and why (if the situation permitted), and just overall friendly and welcoming.

It was an eye opening experience, really gave me an opportunity to see EMS in action and gave myself a newfound respect for what you guys do everyday. Really looking forward to the 2nd interview and hopefully getting an offer.