hairstyle

hellofirstresponders

Forum Crew Member
I know as EMS we're professional. We're constantly in the eyes of the public. I was wondering if it would be looked down upon if a male's hair passes a certain point. Like with me, I'm just slicking back my hair and letting the top grow out about five inches. It is not unkempt.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
One that has been in EMS through many different hairstyles, I have seen long and short. Most EMS prefer one to look professional and that includes hair being off the collar.

Ironically, I am the oldest around and I (being male) probably have the longest hair (what is left) .. most either have shaved their head or very, very short.

R/r 911

Buzz

Forum Captain
Ironically, I am the oldest around and I (being male) probably have the longest hair (what is left) .. most either have shaved their head or very, very short.

R/r 911

I've noticed similar trends around here. Many of the..uhm... more experienced.. guys have longer hair while most of the younger guys like me have really short hair. Not sure why that is, but personally I tend to go with shorter hair because it is easier to maintain (no combing necessary).

Since the winter months are here though, I'm beginning to let my hair grow out a little bit.

FF894

Forum Captain
I know of some agencies that have strict guidelines on this. I have seen that length is not necessarily the issue but neatness. As long as its under control you should be good to go.

Sasha

Forum Chief
While your EMS company may or may not have guidelines, I would advise against long, ponytail length hair unless you wanna wear a bun. I used to wear my hair in a ponytail 'til a psych patient grabbed said ponytail and just started yanking it.

Since then, my hair is put up in a tight tight bun :p

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
While your EMS company may or may not have guidelines, I would advise against long, ponytail length hair unless you wanna wear a bun. I used to wear my hair in a ponytail 'til a psych patient grabbed said ponytail and just started yanking it.

Since then, my hair is put up in a tight tight bun :p

So you don't like your hair pulled???? Kinda surprising.......lol

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
hair above the collar for males here

Females must have it tied back and out of the way

Everyone must keep it brushed or combed in a neat fashion

I feel that this is best as it looks professional but allows some variance in style according to personal preference

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Personally I buzz it at a #1 all around but that's mostly due to the fact that I'm 22 and have a taller widows peak than my dad. I say personal preference is fine as long as it remains professional looking and we don't have to wait 5 minutes for you to do your hair for a 3am call. I think the ability to roll out of bed and walk out the door is the reason many younger folks are going with short. We do have one older guy with hair that goes half way down his back though.

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
I've noticed similar trends around here. Many of the..uhm... more experienced.. guys have longer hair while most of the younger guys like me have really short hair. Not sure why that is, but personally I tend to go with shorter hair because it is easier to maintain (no combing necessary).

Since the winter months are here though, I'm beginning to let my hair grow out a little bit.

I think the "trend" has to do with older guys losing their hair so they have to compensate and grow it where they can, lol :p

ptemt

Forum Crew Member
My hair doubles in length every week so I stay after it with the shortest attachment for my clipper, whats left that is.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
It's not about length as much as it is neatness and efficiency. The first time I dragged the end of a braid through a trama code I started keeping my hair back and up.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I wear mine very short - it is a comfort thing - easier to wash and manage. Downside is that I need to wear a hat more often because of how cold it is.

Blacke00

Forum Lieutenant
I go between shaving every couple days or just using clippers without attachments...

Hair???? I'm shave my head on a daily basis.

so what's your shaving regimen? I tend to get bumps or razor burn, so usually wait a couple days before "refreshing" it...

Kevin

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm gonna start shaving my head. I'll be able to sleep in an extra hour each morning.

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member
My service mandates everyone, male and female, to wear their hair above the collar. A few ladies get away with wearing long ponytails, though some have been told to wear it up.

Personally, I think keeping it up and out of your way as well as out of your patient's grasp is the best idea.

tydek07

Forum Captain
I personly think that you can have it whatever length you want, just as long as it is kept neat and clean. but remember that long hear can turn against you when its in reach of some pts. ;)